23. I Didn't Need You To Defend Me

I Like You The Best

[Author's Note: Classes stars on Tuesday, I'm sorry if the next updates will come slower. Also, I originally intended to end at 30 chapters, but I have a slight feeling I'll extend.]

 

---

 

 

It was Monday. Film majors at Konkuk University had resumed classes, much to Yunji’s dislike. She slid open the classroom door and everyone who was early turned silent, watching her as she made her way to her usual spot by the window. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and tried to drown out the growing murmurs of the class wit the music blaring from her earphones.

American music.

She looked out the window, trying to forget the events of the past week and weekend. Getting into a scandal with her idol childhood friend, and seeing again her idol ex-boyfriend and remembering the hurt she had to go through trying to get over him.

Even with the music filling her ears, Yunji was more or less certain that her classmates were talking about her and her issue with Kikwang, which, obviously, was not cleared out yet. She could feel people’s stares at the back of her head, but she chose to ignore it. After a few encounters with enraged fan girls over the weekend, this kind of treatment was no longer new to her.

“So is it true?”

Yunji turned her head around and looked at Jieun, who was clutching her books to her chest, standing beside her desk. “Hm?”

“You’re dating Lee Kikwang,” Jieun spoke softly. “Of Beast…?”

“It’s not true, Eun. You really don’t believe that, do you?”

“I barely heard from you over the short term break.” Jieun reasoned. “I go online and see articles about Kikwang getting a girlfriend, and it was you. How was I supposed to react?”

“I’m sorry I haven’t been contacting you. I went on a… Little vacation.” Yunji remembered her trip to Incheon with Jaeni and the boys.

“Of course she won’t admit to anything.” All eyes turned to the direction of the door once again. “And yet there were pictures of her and Kikwang together, backstage on Beast’s latest stage.”

“Hana, that…” Yunji pulled her earphones off.

“Of all the things,, Yunji,” Hana said, approaching Yunji’s desk. “I never pictured you as a liar. Everyone knows your so-called secret relationship with Kikwang oppa, so just spill it.”

“There is nothing to spill.”

“You don’t even deserve him!” Hana exclaimed, totally ignoring Yunji’s statement. “You’re so… Average! You’re not smart, you’re not pretty, you don’t deserve to date someone like him! You should just die, you !”

Yunji was getting pissed. “I am not dating Kikwang.”

“Liar!” It was evident that Hana was another angry fan girl. She lifted her hand, ready to slap Yunji.

Hana’s eyes widened when she felt a strong grip on her wrist. “Yunji is not a liar. She’s not dating Kikwang hyung.” Dongwoon’s deep voice came out. Amidst Hana’s little act of rage, no one noticed Dongwoon quietly slip in the classroom just in time to stop her from slapping Yunji in the face.

“O-oppa!” Hana froze.

“She told me, at our trip to Incheon. Right, Yunji?” He looked at Yunji, then back at Hana. “She and hyung are just childhood friends.”

“Incheon…?” All eyes turned to Yunji again.

“We all went to a trip in Incheon over the break.” Dongwoon let go of Hana’s wrist, his face serious. “They aren’t dating.”

“Trip to Incheon?” Still confused about it, Hana shot a glare at Yunji.

Finally filled to the brim, Yunji grabbed her bag and got up, walking passed Hana and Dongwoon, and stormed out of the classroom.

 

Yunji was never one to skip classes, but with her annoyance at some of her classmates’ stubbornness and her growing headache, she knew it would be impossible for her to concentrate on anything.

After an hour of sitting mindlessly in her favorite place in the library, she decided to not attend any of her remaining classes and just go home. Jaeni’s hyper disposition could possibly cheer her up, she thought, as Jaeni still had two more weeks before she had to return back to her home and start classes again. She gathered her things again and got up.

She walked passed her building, head hanging low.

“Yunji ah!” She heard a familiar deep voice calling her name. Yunji sighed and stopped walking, only to look up and see Dongwoon running to her.

“What do you want?” She asked tonelessly.

“Are you okay?” He was genuinely concerned. “Just ignore Hana, and everyone else.”

“I didn’t need you to defend me.”

“What?” Dongwoon was taken aback.

“Look,” She began. “You only made the matters worse by telling everyone I went on an out-of-town trip with you and your members.”

“I was only trying to help.” Dongwoon said.

“If you think you’re helping, you’re not.” Yunji stated. “You’re only gonna make things worse.”

“That wasn’t my intention…”

“Just…” Yunji took a deep breath. “Just stay away from me, okay? I’m fine.” She turned to go, leaving Dongwoon in a frozen state, mouth slightly ajar.

Yunji walked off again, towards the exit of the campus. A few steps later, she bumped into someone she didn’t exactly know, but she knew was her classmate in one of their subjects.

“First Kikwang, now Dongwoon?” The girl spat. Yunji rolled her eyes, she wasn’t in the mood for another fan girl bashing. “You really are a .”

Rolling her eyes, Yunji walked passed the fan girl. She was getting quite impervious to their accusations. She thought she should just ignore them, rather than waste energy getting frustrated.

“I am not done talking to you!” The girl screamed and grabbed a fistful of Yunji’s hair, pulling hard. Yunji shrieked in pain, falling back and clutching her hair. “Stay away from the Beast oppas!” Her hand was tightly grasped on Yunji’s hair.

Dongwoon, who was already on his way back to the building, feeling helpless, heard the fan’s shouts, and Yunji’s own, and saw what was going on. He made his way towards them.

After more shouting, the fan let go of Yunji’s hair and gave her a hard slap right on her cheek. She called her more names, like “user”, “”, and “ugly”, before finally leaving. Dongwoon arrived just as Yunji got up and straightened herself.

“You okay?” He asked her.

“Fine.” She replied, leaving before Dongwoon could say anything else.