Chapter 30

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

Your shoulders sunk down as you approached the school gates, dragging your feet along.

“Another hour with Voldemort”

Kai glanced over at you and smiled at your sulking state. He casually walked like he didn’t have the slightest bit of care.

Unlike you, he seems to have already gotten over the fact that yous have another detention session tomorrow.

 “What are we gonna do?”

“What can we do? It’s not like Voldemort is gonna let us off”

You stopped walking, making Kai stop in his tracks as well. He glanced back and turned around after noticing you were two steps behind him.

“Don’t let it get you down. It’s just one hour, we’ll get over it”

“Yeh, one hour” you looked up at him with your sad turtle face causing him to chuckle at the sight.

“But hey, at least you’re not on your own”

You pursed your lips in thought “…I guess you’re right”

With a little sigh, you let the last of your worries go and glanced up at Kai again.

“…I’ll see you tomorrow then”

“Wait, I’ll walk you home”

“No, it’s fine. Don’t you have dance practice?”

The edge of his lips tugged up into a smirk as he tilted his head in a teasing manner.

“How did you know?”

*Shoot.* your face remained calm as you stared into those mischievous eyes

“Well I just assumed so since…”

“…since?”

Kai’s smirk was slowly transforming into a wider smile and you realised that you would only please him more if you continued speaking.

“…whatever. I’ll get going now…bye bye”

You carelessly waved at him as you turned to leave.

“See you tomorrow!”

His voice sounded too happy to your ears. And even though you had your back to him, you could still see that wide grin that was playing on those lips of his.

When you had got home, you sat yourself down and mentally backtracked your day.

 

Day 1

Mission: avoid the target

Big, fat FAIL

 

Now you were rolling around on your bed in annoyance. *How am I supposed to think about it, if I’m like this?!!*

Your eyes travelled to the phone on the bedside table, contemplating whether you should ask Kris for advice but decided against it. *I shouldn’t bother him too much. He’s gonna get annoyed if I contact him everyday…maybe I could just call him tomorrow*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Detention the next day was hell.

Like he said, you had brought some work to do…which was completely pointless

No matter what,  you just couldn’t concentrate.

At first you thought that detention would be too boring, to the point where you will drift off to sleep – risking the possibility of being decapitated whilst you’re at it.

But no.

After what happened on your last detention, you had an uneasy feeling of being watched by that evil being. It felt like every subtle movement earned a dark glance…maybe you were just getting too paranoid but you could never tell whether he had his eyes on you….just…silently…watching

You didn’t even dare to look up. And true to the devil’s word, Kai was seated at the very opposite end of the class to you.

On the plus side, you managed to discuss your problems with Kris over the phone. Well you’re not really sure if you could call it a plus, considering how you got scolded at.

 

“What? So you tried to avoid him?”

His voice had that sort of are-you-being-serious tone to it, causing you to lightly bite your bottom lip and nod. A nod that even Kris was able to mentally see despite conversing with you over the phone. And you too could mentally see him pinching the bridge of his nose and sighing.

“Seriously, you’re lucky we’re talking over the phone. ‘cause someone needs to give this clumsy xiao mei a big thump on the head”

Silently sulking to yourself, you didn’t want to say anything that may fuel his annoyance even more.

 “That day in the mall, what did I say to you?”

“…to get my feelings clear and move on”

“Right, so how does that result in avoiding him?”

“Well, I thought that I could do with some space to think about it. How else am I supposed to sort my feelings out?”

Now you could literally hear him loudly sigh down the phone. A sigh that made you feel like you were gonna get disowned…by your brother, who isn’t really your brother…

“Are you busy on Thursday after school?”

“No, why?”

“I’ll be visiting Lay and the boys on Thursday. Come, I’ll talk to you about this face to face”

“…you sound like you’re doing this so you can hit me in person as well”

“There’s no guarantee I won’t”

“WoW. Oppa, I love you too”

Well that finally got a chuckle out of him

“…so how was detention with Voldemort?”

There was an immediate shift in your mood and you groaned at the very mentioning of that specific being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday…and another two weeks came and gone.

And let’s just say that you were still getting nowhere with sorting your feelings out – something that had already earned you a few thumps on the head by Kris – is it bad that you’re actually getting used to this?

Ah well, it’s not like those thumps actually hurt. Although sometimes he would resort to cheek pinching and that hurts…so much that you just had to make him feel the same pain, naturally resulting in a painful cheek pinching war, leaving you both with burning red, sore cheeks.

Well, this is you and Kris we’re talking about here, so despite the new found brother-sister bond between yous, there’s still bound to be a lot of arguments and little fights. Needless to say, you both still provided Lay and the boys with plenty of entertainment whenever yous appeared at the café…which they were more than happy about.

And yeh, Kris was still really busy, but not as much as before.

The two of you met up at least once a week. Sometimes at the mall and sometimes at the café

Your friendship became a fair share of give and take. He became your stress absorber who’s always there to listen to you and you became his source of energy from a hard day of work.

As for Kai, recently you have been paying extra attention to him. That, you’re not even gonna bother denying. It’s just that lately, despite how much he smiles and how much he teases you, you could see that he was lacking energy.

Dance practice has intensified and the competition was fast approaching.

The thing is, when it came to dancing, no one else knows what’s going on. And Kai has yet to inform s and, probably you, about this upcoming competition. It’s not that he’s hiding anything. It’s just that he’s not really the type to bring it up unless one of the members somehow ventures into the topic.

Although he is aware of the fact that he really needs to tell the members sooner or later, considering that the competition takes place in New York, right now he just wants to concentrate on practice.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s a Saturday morning and Exo K, minus Kai, decides to head out to the mall.

The diva of the group, Baekhyun has been nagging to get some new clothes and other items, refusing to go shopping on his own. And now all the members had no choice but to come along under the influence of the second oldest.

A few hours later, the group of five had split up into two groups.

Baekhyun had wanted to go to the cosmetic store to make his monthly purchase of some new eyeliner and bb cream, dragging his best friend Chanyeol with him.

The other three: Suho, D.O and Sehun have decided that they had enough of shopping, though they had made some nice purchases themselves, half the time they were basically waiting for Baekhyun to try on some clothes. Just like a boyfriend waiting for his girlfriend, or maybe servants waiting for the rich young miss.

So in the end they decided to stay at the café, where they would all meet up before heading back home.

An hour later, Baekyeol came strolling into the café with Baekhyun complaining about the terrible service of some male sales assistant.

“Finally! Let’s go home now, I’m tired”

The maknae jumped up from his seat, happy that Baekhyun is done with his little shopping spree.

“One minute, I need to buy a drink first”

“Me too!”

Sehun’s shoulders sunk a little as he whined “hyung~~, hurry uuup”

“Ok, ok…jeez, just a minute”

It took another 5 minutes waiting for them to get their drinks with the queue.

The six of them exited the café area of the shopping mall and headed into the park which leads to the main bus station.

“Oppa!”

As they all walked past the fountain, a familiar female voice reached the sharp ears of the maknae.

And Sehun who was walking a step behind his hyungs stopped in his tracks.

He didn’t even give himself the chance to doubt his own ears. For it is impossible for him to mishear your voice. But he just wanted to hear it one more time just to make sure.

“But you can’t do that~!”

Now he was 100% sure that it was indeed you.

Sehun curiously turned his head and sees you in a rather giddy yet tantrum-y mood.

“No. You’re already hyper”

His eyes travel to the tall male besides you, who seems to have taken your sweets.

D.O was the first to notice that the maknae was no longer walking behind them.

“Maknae-ah”

“Wah!” Chanyeol’s deep voice brought the attention of the other two members and Baekhyun immediately spoke after him whilst pointing at you.

“Isn’t that…?”

“Hyeyi noona” Sehun finished off the sentence, his voice almost like a whisper whilst D.O just stared on with his wide eyes.

“Woah! Our kkhamjong-ie has some competition”

 Suho looked worriedly looked at the interaction between you and Kris.

“Maybe they’re just friends”

The two of you were undeniably close, that’s for sure…but he still hoped there wasn’t something special going on between the two of you.

“Come on, let’s go”

The oldest of the boys, ushered them away and took one final glance back at you.

 

 

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the chapter...and thanks for commenting and subscribing!!! ^_^