Chapter 34

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

It was the day Kai leaves for New York.

And for this specific day, Kris had taken the liberty to free himself from a day of work.

He had just stepped out of his large two storey house and stood, intently staring at his phone. His thumb hovers over the call button.

*I guess this is the final solution, clumsy. Don’t say I didn’t give you one last chance to save yourself from this.*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ (Last night, on the phone) ~~~~~~~~~~~~

“…so what’s your answer?”

“Hm?”

“The guy already confessed to you, again, and even formally asked you to be his girlfriend. So don’t you tell me you haven’t even thought about it”

“Of course I did! … but, it’s…really confusing…”

How confusing?”

“Oppa,”

“Yeh? … Go on.”

“Well right now…I can say for sure that I like him…I really do like him, but can I really call that love? … I like him…but am I really ready to give this relationship another shot? ………… Oppa, I’m scared…what if…it doesn’t work out again?”

“You’re not scared, you’re stubborn”

*Wow, what a way to shoot me down* …“Yah~”

“Don’t yah~ me. Even if you can’t call it love, isn’t liking him, enough to accept him? And so what if the relationship doesn’t work out? You’ll never know unless you try. Besides, you dragging this out longer than necessary is probably causing him, and yourself, more pain. So stop saying you’re scared…that’s just an excuse. A very invalid one.”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“Yah, clumsy…are you listening?”

“Hm? Yeh! ... I know…I get what you’re saying…I just-…I-…but-……telling me to just accept him isn’t exactly as easy as it sounds”

“So what do you want to do?”

“I…don’t…know…what do you think I should do?”

“…*sigh*...”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (Present day) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris deeply breathes in and steadily exhales. He continues to staring at the phone screen, his mind now completely prepared to do this.

*You’re gonna hate me for this*

He firmly presses his thumb down on the call button and brings the phone up to his ear.

As the first ring is heard, the air around him immediately took a drastic change. Hurryingly taking long strides, he quickly heads towards his car.

The phone kept ringing. Seconds passes and you had still not picked up.

Every ring had him feeling more nervous. Every ring had bullets of perspiration forming on his head. Every ring had his heart pounding against his chest.

He was hoping that this plan would work. Just hoping for the absolute best for you.

*Pick up. Pick up…*

Click.

Hello?” your voice sounded croaky, obvious that you had only just woken up.

“Clumsy!”

He spoke with an urgent tone. His voice sounded strange, something you wouldn’t really want to be hearing first thing in the morning. There was desperate tone to his voice which immediately woke you up with an uneasy feeling.

“…oppa?”

The car keys jingled in his hands and a beep was heard as the car unlocked.

“Where are you right now?”

Kris hastily pulled the car door open and quickly sat himself down.

On the other hand, you worriedly sat up on your bed. Your eyes darted around your room, confirming your whereabouts. And you answered him with uncertainty. “…home

You tilted your head in thought, questioning yourself…duh, like it’s possible for you to be anywhere else…to be fair, it was a moment of confusion, plus you’re not even completely awake yet.

You could hear the car door loudly slam shut on the other line.

“Ok, I’m coming to get you right now.”

“W-what? Oppa, what’s wrong? … You’re starting to scare me”

“Just hurry up and get dressed, I’ll explain once I get there.”

Only silence filled the line after that. You brought the phone away from your ear and stared at it.

After a few seconds, you jumped up in realisation.

“Oh. Right! … Need to get dressed!”

The bizarre, not to mention nerve wrecking, call from Kris had caused you to self consciously rush yourself through your morning routine in panic mode.

Quickly scrambling out of bed, tripping over your covers that were dragged onto the floor in the process, you ran into the bathroom. Rushed on timing, you had resorted to brushing your teeth in the shower and speedily clean yourself.

Your hair was left semi dried as you put on some denim shorts, pulled a plain white vest top over yourself and grabbed a random cardigan from the wardrobe, slipping it on.

BEEP! BEEP!

You turned to look in the direction of the car honking, despite only being able to see the wall of your room. *Oh my God, he’s already here?!*

Rushing out of the house, you hurriedly jogged over to the car where Kris was waiting. As you neared, he reached over to the passenger seat and opened the door for you.

“Oppa! Wha-!”

“Get in. We’re going to the airport”

Silenced by his words, you swiftly climbed in, slamming the door shut.

Before you could even get your seatbelt clicked in properly, Kris had already started driving.

With the car being driven at a shockingly high speed, you had pressed your back against the chair and gripped onto the seatbelt in fear.

“Oppa, slow down! What’s going on? Why the sudden rush?”

“…Kai, he’s…”

*Kai?*

Now you were really worried.

*What the hell is going on?*

The traffic lights changed to red, causing the car to skid into an abrupt stop. Both your bodies flung forward, lucky the seatbelts were in place to keep you safely held back.

The sudden stop had Kris smacking the steering wheel in frustration.

“Damn it!”

“Oppa…what about Kai?”

Finally he turned to look at you, his eyes peered deep down into your soul with worry.

“…Kai…he…he’s leaving for New York…today”

“…w-what?”

"...Hyeyi-"

BEEP! BEEP!

Kris looked up at the traffic lights, realising that it had gone back to green and proceeded to zoom off again.

In the passenger seat, you sat back, trying to remain calm…your insides, were in a complete mess.

Confusion and distraught painted all over your face.

*N-new York? … What the hell is the meaning of this?*

Tears were welling up your eyes and your breathing was getting heavier.

*That date, that confession, that kiss…were they nothing? Was he really just playing around again? … How, how could he just confess to me and leave to another friggin country like that?!! … Idiot… idiot! Idiot!!! … I swear, if you dare to actually leave, I will hate you for the rest of my life … don’t you dare leave …… Kai … you liar … you said you’ll be waiting for my answer! … you can’t… you can’t just leave like that! … don’t leave … please … don’t leave me … Kai … I’m sorry … I’m sorry for taking so long … a bit longer … at least for a bit longer … please wait … just for a bit longer … I can give you my answer now … so please … please be there … please let me see you there … Kai …*

Your hands were tightly clasped together, praying, praying that he would still be there.

This is it.

This really is your last chance.

If you don’t see him now…then it’s really over.

It may be too late to realise this, but you can’t let that happen.

The car finally came to a stop. You felt a large warm hand, lay on top of yours.

You turn to look into the encouraging eyes of your supportive oppa, Kris.

“Go. Hurry up and get to him” … *This is seriously the final push I can give you. Hyeyi-ah, you stubborn girl, you better make the best of this*

Nodding at him, you stepped out of the car, your legs were feeling as wobbly as that time when you got off the roller coaster. But this is different, Kai isn’t there to support you like he did then.

You need to stay strong. You need to find him. You need to tell him…

You’re not ready…to let him go…not yet…at least…at least tell him how you really feel…you need to at least be able to do that

Mindlessly wandering into the gigantic airport, your eyes darted around, searching for directions to the flight to New York.

 “Last call for passengers on flight COB229 to New York, boarding at gate 43”

*43…43…43…*

The tears were blurring your vision, no matter how you wiped them away, they just kept coming back.

*Kai…where are you? Please….please show up already…I need to see you…I need to tell you…*

Like a lost child, you waddled your way through the crowds. People stopped and stared, watching you struggle in pity, but you were unaware of all the attention.

All you knew was that every passing second, made you more desperate.

Every passing second, lowered your chance of being able to see him.

*43…43…43…*

“…43.” You whispered upon seeing the large number painted on the wall of the waiting area. “Kai…where are you?” your eyes speedily scanned the whole area, the majority of the people seems to have already boarded, and there were no signs of the one person you were looking for.

“… KAIIIIIII!!!”

 

A/N: Sneaky Kris hehe

Thanks for subscrbing and commenting!! ^_^