Chapter 23

I'm Sorry, I Love You

 

Author’s POV

Your mother’s voice that subsequently prevented the kiss from happening, had your mind struggling to form words and all you could do is sit and stare at her.

Kai, on the other hand, still had his eyes on you. Though his heart was still yearning for that kiss, he couldn’t help but to smile as he notices your flustered expression. Your cheeks were cutely lit up in red, giving him a strong urge to pinch them.

Seeing a young male figure sat next to you on the sofa, your mother slightly squint her eyes as she tries to take a closer look at your ‘guest’. Her voice comes out slightly higher pitch, expressing how pleasantly surprised she was to see him.

“Jongin-ah”

Kai turns to her, but before he could even say anything, she spots the first aid kit opened up on the coffee table and immediately expresses her concern.

“Omo! Did someone get hurt? Are you two ok?”

Worried that she would start to overreact, you finally call out to her, hoping that it’ll calm her down a little.

“Omma~”

Kai quietly chuckles at you two mother and daughter, before standing up to politely greet his elder. As he bowed at her, your mother did not fail to notice his injured hand.

“Omo! Jongin-ah, what happened to your hand?”

“Ah~ nothing, I just-” he nervously rubs the nape of his neck, whilst you also looked at him curiously, wanting to know what exactly he did “…don’t worry, Hyeyi’s already treating it, so it should be fine”

Your mother eyed the two of you.

Of course she knew that you two had already broken up, though you never told her or your father anything. Nor did they want to press onto this subject. Still, from what she saw when you two were still together, she has no complaints with how Kai treated you…obviously having no knowledge of his playboy past...and from what she sees right now, even his outer appearance shows that this young man has matured a lot over the past few months.

A smile spreads across her face as she looks at you two like she could already see the romantic relationship between yous blossom again.

“Well make yourself comfortable, I will be in the kitchen if you need me”

Noticing that overly happy smile on her face, you knew something was going through her mind, although you did not dare to question it…sometimes, the accuracy of your mother’s analytical mind and predictions can be very scary.

Even Kai felt quite suspicious of that smile as his eyes followed her until you pulled him back down onto the seat.

Carefully wrapping up his fist with the roll of bandage and securing it into place with a safety pin.

“All done”

You smiled, contented with how neat the bandage looked and placed his hand down.

“It’s not too tight, right?”

Kai observed his hand and shook his head, whilst you sat forward and packed away the kit.

All of a sudden, you mother popped out of the kitchen doorway

“Jongin-ah, would you like anything to drink?”

You looked at him before looking at your mother again, your brows sceptically furrowing at her…that smile of hers

“No thanks…I should er…get going now”

“Neh, already? You should stay for dinner”

“Ani, I-“

“Omma, I’ll be sending him off now”

Swiftly interrupting them before your mother continues on insisting, you grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the house with a limp. As you did so, the smile on your mother’s face spreads wider in satisfaction, although she was also quite watchful of your ankle.

As you got to the front gates, you realised that you were still holding onto his hand and quickly let go.

Kai was unfazed and instead worriedly looked down at your ankle “how’s your ankle feeling?”

“Better…slightly…what about your hand?”

“Good, thanks to you…”

There was a short moment of silence in which you two stared into each other’s eyes for a few seconds.

“Ahem…mian, omma’s…acting a bit weird today”

Kai quietly laughed “it’s fine, she’s still the same…as nice as I remember” he stared ahead at your house as though he could see your mother through the walls.

Seeing him look ahead, you too turned around, following his eyes “yeh~…well not everyone changes so much within a few months”

You didn’t actually mean to indirectly speak about him like that, nor did you meant for it sound so sarky…in fact, you didn’t even realise what you said, those words just happened to slip out of your mouth subconsciously.

Luckily Kai knew all too well that you had a habit of not thinking before you speak. If it were anyone else, they might have taken it to offense but Kai actually liked your bluntness, it made it more amusing knowing that you are so oblivious to the words that slip out of your mouth every so often.

Whilst you were still staring back at your house, worried about whatever is going through your mother’s mind, you were completely oblivious to the strong gaze coming from behind.

Tearing your eyes away to face Kai again, you turn back around only to find your right cheek bumping into a pair of lips that landed right next to your own.

Your eyes widened and you could feel your shoulders stiffen at the sudden contact.

Though he was not completely satisfied with a simple kiss on the cheek, it was enough to generate a bright smile from his face.

“Gomawo”

He slightly held up his bandaged hand before turning his back on you, leaving you to repeatedly blink a few times in confusion and watch him walk away.

Just before he left your sight, he turned back and waved

“See you tomorrow!”

Still completely speechless, you didn’t even have the strength to wave back.

The moment he left your sight, you scoffed in disbelief, your eyes stayed fixed on the spot he just disappeared from…your shoulder immediately relaxed and unknowingly, your lips curved up into a small smile.

Realising that you looked like some crazy teenager in love, you quickly shook it off and lightly thumped the side of your own head.

 “Yah Yoo Hyeyi, snap out of it”

 

A/N: Wow...it feels like I haven't been on AFF for months and it's only been just over two weeks lol...you know, i say im gonna try and finish this fic off a soon as possible but i have a feeling it could be over 30 chappies long haha