Chapter 11

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

It is currently 6pm and you have been sent out to do some last minute grocery shopping by your mum. The trolley skidded down the aisle as you childishly took little rides around the supermarket.

Placing a small bag of onions and peppers into the trolley, you tick off two boxes from your shopping list on your phone. Just one more to go…

“Black pepper sauce”

You arrived down the sauce aisle of the supermarket and were looking for the black pepper sauce that your mum usually likes to use. And being the unlucky person you are, it just happened to be on the top shelf.

“Why does everything just love to go against my height?”

Like always you had to go on your tippy toes to reach up for it.

“Watch your ankle, Clumsy”

As if you were jinxed by a certain douche-bag, your ankle collapses onto its side and you land onto a familiar chest. *Déjà Vu much*

“You never learn do you, Clumsy?”

You pushed him away from you and accusingly point at Kris.

“You jinxed me!”

“Now now Clumsy, is that how you thank someone?”

Stomping your feet, you make your way down the aisle, pushing your trolley with you.

“Clumsy! Don’t you want your sauce?”

As you were making your way towards the tills to get away from the douche-bag all the ahjummas and other customers were gossiping about the two of you.

“Omo, a couple fight?”

“Kids these days”

“Aw they remind me of the good ol’ days”

Kris effortlessly caught up with you and place the jar of sauce in your trolley causing you abruptly stop. Spinning around to face him, your eyes narrows as you suspiciously look at him.

“You…..are you stalking me?”

Kris blankly looks at you and bursts out laughing.

“Hahaha nice thinking….maybe we’re connected by fate, you never know”

He winked at you making you looked at him in disgust and turn back around.

“That’s 52132 won, please.”

You took out your money, from your purse but looked up to see that someone has already paid for you. That someone already walked ahead with two of your shopping bags making you go through the trouble of chasing after him.

“Hey!”

Kris stops walking and turns around to wait for you. By the time you caught up with him, you’re breathing was getting heavy.

*Damn those long legs of his!*

“Take the money, I don’t wanna owe you.”

You held the money out to him.

“Sorry but my hands are full, maybe later.”

“Yah! I can carry the bags on my own as well!”

You try to grab the bags away from him but he swiftly dodges all your attempts as the two of you walked down the street.

Being too busy dealing with this douche-bag, you didn’t even realise that you were being watched by a two girls from your school.

“Isn’t that Yoo Hyeyi? Wow she sure knows how to pick guys.”

“I know right? Why does she always get the hot guys? First it was Kai and now…”

“Hey, Miyoung-ah…don’t you think that the guys in our school should know that their precious Miss A member is taken?”

The Miyoung girl smirks in response and takes her phone out. *shutter sound*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning you wake up feeling a bit funny but you pushed away the feelings. You recalled how Kris tricked you into letting him walk you home and how he ran off before you could give him the money back for the groceries. *That douchebag!*

Walking over to your calendar you crossed out the date and noticed the big circle on 30th April. *Appa’s birthday this Thursday? I still need to get a present…I’ll just get it afterschool*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exo K walks into the school grounds, growing confused about what was going on. Kai was on alert when he heard the name Hyeyi come up more than usual. In school there was a small crowd formed around the school’s notice board, gossiping filled the entire place.

“Have you heard about Hyeyi-sshi?”

“She’s got a new boyfriend?”

“They look so cute together”

“I guess her and Kai are really over then”

The rest of Exo K were giving each other unsure looks as Kai walked closer and closer towards the notice board. The other students were clearing out a path for them as they walked by. They went back to crowding around the notice board and Exo K and the gossiping got louder.

Anger and jealousy fills Kai’s body which shakes from agitation. His heart clenches at the sight of a large printed photo of you and Kris. Though you were genuinely annoyed by Kris at the time, the picture makes it seem like you were teasingly playing around with each other as you try to grab the shopping bag that was held up high by Kris’ long arms, under the romantic night sky.

Kai’s shaking fist smashes against the notice board causing the whole wall to vibrate from the impact. A heavy silence falls onto the entire school. The other students watch in fear, not even daring to make a move and get away. The whole of Exo K, including Sehun worriedly looks at Kai. Suho steps up and places his hand on Kai’s shoulder, hoping to calm him down. But Kai shrugs him off and fumingly stomps out of school with the students once again clearing a path for him. He vents out his anger on a bin near the school’s entrance, kicking it down with a loud crash.

Not long after Kai leaves the school, you come strolling through the school gates. You could feel all eyes on you but you ignored it, going straight to your homeroom as you are surrounded by strange murmurs. When you sit yourself down in your seat, Minyoung comes charging in. She slams a sheet of paper onto your desk, making you slightly jump.

“Min-ie ah! Gwenchana? What’s with the rush?”

Minyoung holds up the picture, ripped off from the notice board.

“What’s all this about?”

You take the paper off her and your eyes widen in shock as you look at the deceiving image.

“That douchebag!”

Minyoung’s eyebrows rise as she listens to your rare use of nasty words. You look at up at Minyoung.

“This is a load of bullpoop…me and Kris?” You shake your head in disbelief “no way.”

Minyoung stares directly into your eyes for a few seconds; she could tell that there weren’t even a hint of lie in your words. As she takes a deep breath and sits down in her seat, it was Suji’s turn to come charging in. Thankfully Minyoung tiredly waves off her questions.

“False alarm Suji, it’s a misunderstanding”

Suji comes to a sudden halt and turns to you for confirmation, you casually nodded in response. Unlike Suji and Minyoung, Fei and Jia were quite excited by the news but were disappointed when the three of you casually waved it off as a misunderstanding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai skipped a whole day of school, and spent hours in the dance studio, his body is exhausted yet he insists on forcing himself to dance. His legs were aching and his dance trainers were completely worn out. His battered trainers were in that much of a terrible condition, it caused him to trip during a spin and fall to the ground.

Though his mind was still disturbed by the possibility that ‘Yoo Hyeyi is in a new relationship’, his body could no longer go on with the excessive dancing. He lays sprawled on the floor, heavily breathing. His muscles were throbbing from overtiredness. Kai suddenly scoffs at himself. He kept thinking back to everything that has happened and realises he has once again ignored the daunting advices from his hyungs. Turning his head, he looks up at the clock. Schools already finished. He gets up and looks at his shoes.

As he walks out of the dance studio after a relaxing shower, the worn out shoes that accompanied him throughout the past seven months is heartlessly thrown into the nearest street bin.

Kai makes his way towards the bus stop and boards onto the 715 that leads into the shopping district.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, having already bought a nice wallet for your lovely appa, you were in the mall searching for something else you could get him and have yet to order a birthday cake. Coming across a unique looking gift shop, populated by a quite a lot of people, you walk in. There you were able to find a cute Superdad mug and photo frame which you happily spent some money on. Now all that was left is your worst nightmare…picking out a cake from the delicious selection in the usual cake shop you go to.

The workers in the shop were growing very annoyed at your indecisiveness as you continuously looked at all the birthday cakes for forty five minutes.

*Hmmm how about a black forest cake, haven’t had that for awhile…but the icing cakes look delicious as we~ll*

Just then you spot the most amazing cake you have ever seen. Surrounding the chocolate sponge cake are chocolate fingers, the top of the cake is covered with some of your favorite retro sweets: dolly mixtures, catherine wheels, jelly buttons, fizzy bottles and in the middle of the all the sweets is a chocolate plaque with ‘Happy Birthday’ written on it with swirly handwriting. The colourful cake was pratically calling out for you, it is the most perfect cake you ever seen…but you knew it wouldn’t be fair if you chose it for your own desires when it’s your appa’s birthday. You look at the cake one last time and once again turn to the other choices. One step. Two step. Three…………you turn back to the look at the cake…………

………..

“ ’scuse me~ can I make a cake order please~”

*Appa mianhe, but I’m sure you’ll love it*

Now that everything is sorted for the upcoming birthday, you were happily swinging your bags as you walk towards the lifts.

 

Inside the lift, is Kris, suavely dressed in an expensive Armani suit. He frustratingly s the top button of his creaseless white shirt and loosens his tie, leaning back on the lift’s railing. *Stupid old man, can this day get any worse?*

*Ding*

As if heaven’s has answered his call, the lift doors parts revealing a beautiful young girl. The sudden appearance of this girl washes away all his negative feeling and brings in a more natural side of him.

 

To your luck, you got to the lift with perfect timing. And you were more than happy to get home and wrap up your presents. However as the lift doors parts, your smile drops, you gawk at the cursed coincidental meeting with the douche-bag again. Pointing your finger at him, you blurt out

“Stalker.”

Kris smirks.

“Wow, we really are fated huh?”

You sneered at him.

“Aren’t you getting in?”

You blow your fringe and step into the claustrophobic box. The short ride in the lift was filled with silence.

*Ding*….finally yous reached the ground floor.

Kris steps out first. You stared down at your feet, pouting as you followed after him. He looks back at you and silently chuckles.

“Hey clumsy, you wanna go for a drink?”

You eyes slowly rolls up to him.

“With you? No.”

“You still owe me.”

You looked up at him properly, your mouth hangs open………….seconds later you find yourself succumbing to his evil schemes, trudging along behind him to the café outside the mall.

 

Concurrently, Kai who has just arrived at the mall to buy a new pair of trainers witnesses the scene of you entering the café with Kris.

*Yoo Hyeyi? Is that the guy? So it is true…you found yourself someone new*

Completely forgetting his original reason for coming here, he sneakily follows you in.

You plop yourself down on a random table in the café and took out your phone to distract you from the douche-bag as Kris goes to order. Sat at a table diagonal from yours is Kai who is openly spying on you.

*I hate to admit it but Baekhyun hyung is right, I must really look like a stalker*

He suddenly sits up when he sees Kris return with two cups of coffee. He observes the rivalling male, eyeing him from head to toe. *Wow Yoo Hyeyi, so you got yourself a rich one*

“So…enjoyed your shopping trip?”

You look up at the scheming jnfoksidhfgv, ignoring his question and took out your purse.

“How much is it?”

“It’s fine, my treat”

“No! I don’t wanna owe you anymore…how much is it?”

“I said it’s my treat, put your purse back”

Kai’s eyes were narrowed down to slits; his fists were firmly curled up as he enviously watches the bickering ‘couple’.

*Just accept her money already, *

You take out 6000 won from your purse and put it on the table, in front of him.

“Fine, but heres the money for my shopping yesterday”

“I said it’s fine, jus-“

“Just take it! You already caused a load of bullpoop rumours to go around the whole school…..yes, it was because of you!”

Kai stares at you in shock, never has he seen this irritated side of you before, to think that you’d show it to the unknown male.

Kris raises his eyebrows and smirks.

“What? So someone saw us and mistook us as a couple?”

*bingo*

Kai’s ears perk up. *thinks? They’re not dating?*

You looked at him with a what-the-hell-goes-on-in-that-head-of-his look…*this guy is enjoying this way too much….WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM?*

“What the hell is wrong with you? Don’t say it so casually! The whole school thinks you’re my friggin boyfriend! And there’s no way that could ever happen!”

Kris looks at you and smirks as he listens to you ramble on whilst slurping his iced Americano. He could tell that you were not usually the type to act like this and for some reason he actually enjoyed making you mad.

Unknowingly a smile creeps up on Kai’s face. He has already confirmed that you weren’t in a relationship, plus you didn’t seem to have any interest in the guy. But still, he wasn’t happy about the fact, that this unknown guy was able to release this side of you so easily…a side of you that is rarely seen, even by the Miss A girls and your parents.

“Well you can’t be sure of that. Bumping into each other once or twice could count as coincidence but the third and fourth time would be seen as fate. Maybe we’re just fated to be together…you never know.”

Kai was now glaring daggers into Kris’ back. Although it’s clear that you disliked Kris, Kai could see that Kris is clearly interested in you. His eyes, though he hates to admit it, reminded him of himself when he first took notice of you with your doodling.

“No way! You-”

As you were gonna retort back to his cunning remark, you could see someone intensely staring at you from the corner of your eyes. You jump and freeze when you realised who it was……………..Kai.

Your heart suddenly starts beating faster. Kai didn’t even care that you caught him watching you and stared directly into your eyes.

Kris notices your shock expression.

“What’s wrong?”

You eyes were still locked into Kai’s as you quietly answered Kris.

“Nothing” ….*he can’t be looking at me, right?*

You slowly look around you to see if there is anyone else that Kai could have possibly been looking at. Kris furrows his eyebrows at you.

*…no one………..it’s just me here…*

Your eyes finds itself getting absorbed into his eyes again. Snapping yourself back to your senses, you consciously divert your eyes elsewhere.

Thump…Thump…Thump….your heartbeat wasn’t getting any slower and your breathing was getting slightly heavier. You hastily look down and grab your all your bags. Finally, you turn back to Kris.

 “Sorry but I should get going…bye”

You quickly walked out of the shop before Kris could say anything. Kris turns to find out what caused the sudden change in attitude, only to see Kai rushing out after you. He watches Kai run out as he thinks back to your shocked expression he just saw.

*That wasn’t just any shocked look. Her eyes……..they conveyed love and pain…..was that her ex?*

Unknowingly, his heart suddenly felt really uneasy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kai couldn’t understand what just happened. When he saw you leave, his legs automatically jumped up. He couldn’t understand……but his heart is telling him to just go after you………………...and his body responded.

You had no idea that Kai was actually running after you. You didn’t understand what he was doing there and why he was watching you like that….all you wanted was to get away from there……get away from his gaze......and get away from him.........you just wanted to run away.

Luckily the bus back to your street stopped by just in time, allowing you to quickly hop on. You were still completely unaware that someone was chasing after you. After that little bit of running, you take a seat on the bus. You hand brings itself to your heart as you heavily breath in and out……..

*Kim Jongin, what the hell are you playing at now?*

 

A/N: Final update beore CHRISTMAS....well that was a longish chappie haha....finally getting a move on now ^_^ sorry it took so long.....