Chapter 17

I'm Sorry, I Love You

A/N: Long chapter ahead ^_~

 

Your POV

I did my daily routine of mentally thinking back how my day went, before drifting off to the wonderful world of dreams. My body, cosily curled up into a fetus.

The more I recalled today’s incident, the more difficult it was for me to close my eyes and enter the-much-desired-dreamland. I rolled over, sprawling my arms and legs out as I face the ceiling.

hmm….Kai suddenly showing up near my house……walking me to school……and how he put in me into that life threatening situation……………..I swear, never in my 18 years of life experience, have I ever feared for my life so much.

Kicking my covers off me, I sat up frustrated.

I mean h-how could he get me into trouble by the evil…evil…dark lord! What if he used the unforgivable killing curse on me?! I woulda been dead in a second!

…and then I just had to see that douchebag at the café. Eugh! Those two put together would make the most irritating pair in mankind history (A/N: I need you and you want me, jiguran i byeoreseo o~ o~ every, every, everyday naega mandeun history~~~hehe ^_^v) and if by chance that ever happens…my life here on Earth is done…………….….but seriously…Kai…

 

FLASHBACK~

Suji nodded nonchalantly “so Kai’s finally making a move”

“Yeh he-” it took awhile for my head to process the information correctly and when I finally realised what she said, I whipped my head towards her “WHAT?!”

Perhaps that came out too loud since I got a load of shushing from some other students there and a strict stern look from the librarian who looked through the top of her glasses, sitting at the end of her nose. Suji eyes rolls from one side to the other, looking around at everyone unbothered whilst I had stood up to apologetically bow to them all. She watched me sit down with a touch of amusement in her eyes.

“You’re so innocent………you know, it doesn’t take a genius to notice how he hasn’t got over you”

You give her the ‘really?’ look as she smiled at you

“…and I can see that you’re not completely over him either”

“Ha?” you sulkily mumbled the next sentence “…but I thought you were convinced that I was over him”

“Haha~ of course I could see through all that…but, seeing you try so hard to act like your cheerful self, I thought that I should just play along with it to keep you happy”

“Suji-ah~……I really don’t give you enough credit for your intelligence”

Suji chuckled at me “it’s fine, I’m the one who purposely gave off that impression anyway…so what do you plan on doing?”

“Hm?”

“Kai…are you going to accept him?”

I looked into her eyes, feeling completely lost. It was like she is my inner conscience, forcing me to face my problem that I have been trying to run away from.

“I…I dunno”

The gentle look in her eyes, made me feel like I could do with letting out all my locked up thoughts and feelings. That way, I’ll feel a lot better with the support of a special friend.

“…to be honest……I knew this whole time that my feelings for him never changed…no matter how hard I tried to forget…no matter how much I laughed………but I was just getting used to it. Afterall, time will heal everything right?”

Suji sympathetically looked at me “Hyeyi-ah”

“…but then he just had to show up, telling me to give him another chance. I mean, how was I even supposed to respond to that…..? Even now I can’t forget that painful paranoid feeling…I really don’t want to be going through all that again. I dunno, I really don’t know. Suji-ah~~what should I do?”

“From what I see, you~…seem to have developed a fear for relationships.”

“Fear? Ha-ha…you make it sound I have some sort of mental disorder”

“Well technically you do. And the only way to cure yourself from it, is to find the root of the problem and solve it…”

 “…you’re basically encouraging me to accept him?” 

Suji nodded like it was nothing

“Personally, I think that Kai, the cause of your insecurities should be responsible of fixing it.”

I sceptically looked at her, not believing her ‘logical’ reasoning. Luckily, she seems to have gotten the message and sat up proceeding to explain herself truthfully.

“Look…everyday Minyoung and I, have noticed how your smile falters whenever he enters your sight. Then you would completely blank out, obviously with your head full of thoughts of him again…but for the first time, today was different. Sure, you didn’t look particularly happy…but I can see that the shine from the old Hyeyi we used to know has finally returned and there’s no longer any trace of cold sadness in your eyes either.”

Leaning back in my chair, I let her words sink into my brain. *Did I really act like that?*

My attention, returned to Suji. Suspiciously eyeing her after 2 seconds of eye contact.

“I thought you don’t like him”

“I don’t like him, but if he can make you happy then that’s all that matters…”

My eyes and heart softened, grateful for having such a loving friend.

“…and about Min-ie, don’t be too bothered about what she thinks. I mean, I love her to bits but she does overact to things. The thing is though, she acts tough on the outside but we all know she’s a big softie really. Like when you first got with him, Min-ie wasn’t particularly happy about it. But in the end she respected your decision”

“Still…”

“I don’t know if you heard about this, it’s been going around for quite a while now…they say that Kai quitted his playboy act. No one even sees him in clubs anymore. All the girls were complaining about how he cut off all forms of contact with them. Nevermind flirting, he doesn’t even spare them a look…and from what I saw, the rumours prove to be correct.”

“Tch, like that’s possible”…as I said that out loud, I couldn’t help but to feel like it was purposely said not for Suji to hear…but to make that little bit of information sound more unbelievable for myself.

“Think what you want…but you…Yoo Hyeyi, actually made the infamous playboy decent”

~END OF FLASHBACK

Half way through that little flashback, I already fell back down onto my bed with my hair spread out all over the pillows. I continue to stare up at the ceiling with Suji’s words in my mind.

…decent…she says…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes roll side to side as I observe the situation before me. An exasperated sigh escapes my lips for the umpthteen time.

Sitting opposite me is a very grumpy looking Sehun. My eyes roll to the right, where the unaffected tagalong sits…and yes, as you may have already guessed, its Kai…my eyes once again rolls back to the sulking Sehun. Another sigh is released.

I picked up my usual mocha bubble tea, casually drinking from the straw as I looked around the bubble tea shop, awkwardly trying to divert my attention elsewhere…which wasn’t really much of a help, considering how the spotlight was on this one table.

“What are you doing here?”

I look back at the two boys in front of me, still drinking from the straw.

Yeh, what are you doing here?

“This is mine and Hyeyi noona’s time together”

“Like I said, she’s not your noona”

“I don’t care! It’s maknae bonding day”

“Yeh and who’s the second maknae of Exo K?”

I unnoticeably nodded to myself whilst listening to his response…decent huh.

Sehun gawked at the cocky attitude “Hul~”

He angrily grabbed his drink from the table and drank a mouthful of his chocolate bubble tea. He slammed the cup back down and sent a really p—ed off glare to his hyung, heavily breathing out through his nose.

Sehun suppresses his annoyance as he turns to face me. His glare, immediately replaced with his usual sweet smile.

“Noona…….”

“…she’s not your noona”

Another dirty look was shot in Kai’s direction before Sehun started an actual conversation…with me of course. We were engaged into our typical conversations, with a little bit of difficulty trying to the unwanted presence. Sehun literally acted like his hyung wasn’t there and I got to admit, I kinda felt bad for him.

But then he would occasionally add in some of his own sarky remarks in response to the topics we were discussing which had a tidal wave effect on me, washing away all my sympathy for the neglected one.

Those little remarks had Sehun glaring daggers into him. Not to mention how he would always mumble “she’s not your noona” when Sehun calls out to me. Which obviously annoyed the poor maknae even more.

 

Author’s POV

After finishing your drinks, Sehun suggested to hit the arcade again. And the two of you walked out of the shop, arms linked together. Kai, on the other hand, could only follow after yous closely behind.

*Aren’t they looking a bit too couple-y? Why are they so clingy towards each other?*

He scowled at your back views, narrowing his eyes on the lack of space between the two of you. His eyes were kept locked onto you and Sehun, his mind mentally channelling his inner energy, in attempt to use the ‘force’ to detach you two away from one another.

As you all stepped into the arcade, Kai relaxed a little, his eyes softening as he watches you in amusement…but were quick to notice the sudden reverse in role between you and Sehun which left quite a shocking impact on him.

It was strange for him to see you dragging Sehun around to the games you wanted to play, considering how it’s usually you who get dragged around by the energetic boy…in school, that is. *What a spectacle to witness*

You could actually feel Kai’s eyes observing your every actions, but was too excited to be bothered by it.

For a little warm up game, you went to the air hockey tables. Sehun stated that you two work better as a team and refused to go against you. This naturally led to you and Sehun vs Kai on his own. Well I guess it’s a good thing that yous didn’t leave him out again.

It was you vs Kai first. Sehun noticed how Kai was obviously going easy on you and decided to nicely advice him.

“Hyung, there’s really no need to hold back on her”

But Kai ignored the maknae’s advice and continued trying to be a ‘gentleman’ which was not a good idea. There was something about using the gentleman card on you in an arcade that was very vexing. And within seconds, you smashed the air hockey puck down the goal space. Kai was completely caught off guard. Your quick movements were a 180 degree change from your typical unathletic self. Kai looked at you wide eyed

*where the hell did that come from?*

 You simply shrugged at him whilst Sehun bit back his laugh.

Now you and Kai were completely pumped up to play a proper round of air hockey…well you’d like to think that but…

Kai almost scored the winning goal before the timer ran out but Sehun suddenly dived in.

 “Andwae~! Noona, don’t worry…I’ll save you!”

You bursted out laughing at the foul play from your adorable teammate who intercepted the puck before it fell down goal gap.

 “Yah~! Maknae-ah!”

Whilst Kai was devastated that he didn’t score the goal, you lightly hit the puck with your push and watched as it slowly slid across the table and down Kai’s goal gap. Hearing the sound of the puck falling down, Kai looked down at the table and slowly looked up at the scoreboard.

The game finished with you winning 16:15. His eyes travelled down, looking like a lost child, his eyes blankly blinking at you and Sehun who were high fiving each other.

Now that you finished playing the warm up game, you were all heading towards the actual gaming machines.

Kai was followed after you two maknaes, sulking.

 “Cheater~”

Looking back at him, you chuckled at his pouting expression and quickly relayed the blame to Sehun.

“Cheater~”

But this dongsaeng of his was too shamelessly proud of aiding you in that win to even care about foul play as he carried on walking like he heard nothing.

Despite being the only girl there, you were evenly matched in gaming skills with the boys. Sehun and you took turns to play the games, although it was mainly you Kai, competitively going at each other.  In all the games yous played, either you or Kai would only have won by a small margin.

After a few more games on different machines you started wandering around in search for other games. You and Sehun had your arms linked together again.

Both of you had your sights set on different games and kinda crossed path with each other as you reached out towards opposite directions.

“Noona~ but I wanna play Street Fighter”

“But Tekken’s better”

Now the both of you were struggling to pull each other towards the games. Kai stood there not knowing what to do. It was his first time he witnessed a disagreement between the two of you and to be honest, it was quite amusing to watch.

In school, your friendship with Sehun was always perceived as a cute relationship with no signs of conflicts…to think that the two of you would actually argue over something so ridiculous.

“Why can’t you just play Street Fighter, they’re the same anyway”

“Are not”

“Are too”

“Are not”

The childish duo in front of him was starting to attract attention. Forget seeing the amusing side of this, Kai facepalmed himself, wanting to find a hole to hide in as the younger ones were starting to receive embarrassing stares from everyone around them

“…Are too”

“Are not”

“Are too”

“Are not”

“Are not….I mean, are toooo~”

“Pfft…if they’re the same, why can’t you just play Tekken?”

“We played Tekken last time”

“Play it again then~”

“No~~”

The two of you stayed silent whilst staring into each other’s eyes for a few seconds. Kai was fearing that a fight would break out but then…3…2…1…

“Kai-bai-bo!”

Both of you had scissors.

“Kai-bai-bo!”

Both of you had rock.

“Kai-bai-bo!”

Scissors again.

“Kai-bai-bo!“

Scissors again.

“Kai-bai-…”

Kai watched with his mouth agape

“YAY~”

You were jumping up and down in joy as Sehun was forced to reluctantly accept his loss.

“Tekken..go go go!”

Kai was still gawking at you two *is this how their Wednesdays are usually spent?* his eyes followed you as you went behind Sehun, holding onto both his arms and pushing him towards the Tekken machine. Half way there you turned around to Kai.

“Aren’t you coming?”

Your cheerfulness completely took over your whole body and your voice showed no signs of annoyance towards him. Kai scoffed in disbelief and quickly followed you.

Once there, Sehun miraculously overcame his loss, it was like he was used to this scenario.

Everything returned to normal as the little conflict was entirely wiped out of your brains. Sehun played his fair share of the game and was now cheering you on.

All three of you had your eyes fixed on the same big screen.

Sehun absentmindedly tuned to look at yous. Just as he was about to turn back to the screen, he looked back at you and Kai, unknowingly smiling to himself.

Both of you were so immersed into the game that you didn’t even realise he was staring at yous. Sehun stepped back, observing the indirect interaction between yous with the occasional exchange of the typical gamer complaints. He noticed how both of you wore the same concentrated expression on your faces. 

*keke…Gaming Couple* thinking about how the befitting title he came up with suited the two of you so well, he started secretly chuckling to himself.

“Haha one more win for me! Meh~rong” you turned to Kai, teasingly sticking your tongue out at him.

“Tch…well it was you who chose the game, now it’s my turn to choose one”

You nodded understandably in agreement and confidently spoke.

“Go ahead”

15 minutes later~~ you found yourself holding onto the metal bars for support as you slid down onto the metal dance pad. You were completely wasted but still managed to breathe out a little whine

“So tired~”

Kai chuckled tirelessly, earning a playful glare from you. All your victories from the other games were considered as nothing once Kai made the sneaky decision to battle it out on dance revolution, challenge mode.

You and Sehun simultaneously took turns to go up against Kai alone. And the serious ‘game on’ mode was switched on. But in the end….it was a losing battle on your part…total K.O.

“Noona…” you look at Sehun as he observes your exhausted state “…do you wanna go get food now?”

*YES FOOD* your mind screamed the answer but you yourself were too tired to speak.

After staying crouched down for 3 more seconds, you finally decided to get up. Both arms were stretched out in attempt to pull yourself up *efffort~*. And with much difficulty, your bottom raised itself ever-so-slightly before dropping back down into your original position again.

You let out a loud I-give-up sigh. Kai who was stood on you left, held out his left hand whilst Sehun who stood on your right, held out his right hand. You looked at them with a sulky yet thankful expression and happily clasped both your hands into theirs and let them effortlessly pull you up.

Just before you stepped out of the arcade, Sehun suddenly decided that he needed to quickly go to the gentleman’s.

“Sehun-ah…” Sehun turned back around “…I’ll wait at the benches” you pointed at the arcade’s entrance where a few benches were rooted to the ground outside. The latter’s eyes quickly followed the direction you were pointing at before nodding at you and proceeded to his business.

Outside, you sat alone…God knows where Kai went off to. Still, you liked the peace and were enjoying the spring breeze blowing against your heated body. Your hands lightly gripped onto the edge of the seat closely beside your thighs and your head hung down, staring at your foot that was mindlessly kicking into the paving.

“Here”

A bottle of water is held out in front of you. You raise your head slightly to look at Kai and took the bottle.

“Gomawoyo”

“You welcome”

As you twisted the bottle cap off, you could feel Kai take a seat beside you on your right. He was leaned back on the bench whilst you were sat a bit in front nearer towards the edge. 

A mouthful of cool water made its way down your throat, leaving a refreshing sensation that quenched your thirst. 

“…ahh~ I think I overdid it today” you quietly spoke

A little nose laugh was heard from Kai

“Yeah…just a bit” He adjusted his head slightly towards the left to observe your calm condition *back to normal I guess*

“…you know…I didn’t think you were the gaming type”

Your eyes were fixed onto the paving again as you listen to Kai, smiling a little.

“Nor did I think that you could overpower our maknae with your hyper energy either and it was like a miracle to see the two of you reach a disagreement, but then again…from what I saw. It doesn’t seem like that only happened once or twice”

Your head slightly shifted to the right, just by a centimetre or so and your lips parted *oh God…is that what we were like?*

Clearing your throat, you tried to sound more positive and spoke up

“Well nice to see that we opened you up to a new experience ha...ha”

Kai laughed through his nose at you again “…yeh a rather interesting one”

You frowned in embarrassment which Kai was unable to see

“…it was actually really fun” your frown moulded into a surprised expression as you glanced back at him.

Neither of you said anything more and silence filled the air for a few seconds.

“…mian”

Shocked by a sudden apology, you faced Kai who stared down, playing with his fingers. He stopped and looked straight into your eyes, his sincerity shooting right out of his dark orbs.

“Until recently…I never realised how little I actually know about you”

Feeling a bit uncomfortable at the long eye contact, you broke it off. Awkwardly trying to laugh it off as you turn back to face the front.

“Gwenchana…you don’t need to apologise for it. It’s not like I know everything about you either.”

Kai bitterly smiled to himself

“Like dance revolution, who would of known that you were so good at it…you must be a really good dancer, guess the clubbing did do you good” ….*crap, you pabo…what the hell did you just say?!!*

 “Er…m-mian. I didn’t intend to sound so harsh.”

Kai wasn’t particularly affected by your comment instead he smiled at your bluntness. The more you struggled to explain the wider his smile grew.

“I..I really didn’t mean it like that…I was only trying to say that you dance well ‘cause…I mean…well………….ye~h, I’m gonna just shut up now”

Resting his head back, Kai looked up.

 “…………………I already quitted”

“Neh?”

“Clubbing…”

“Ah……so it’s true”

Lowering his head back down, he looks at you.

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“I heard it from Su-…well the rumours went around school for quite a while now so of course I heard about it”

“What? Rumours?”

You returned him his questioning look *did he not know about them as well? So I wasn’t the only one who was oblivious to it…*

Wanting to drop this topic already, you divert your attention back to the front, looking into the arcade.

“I wonder what’s taking him so long?”

As if he was on cue, Sehun came strolling out.

“Noona~~”

“Speak of the devil”

“Sehun-ah~”

“Noona, where do you wanna eat? Shall we go Pizza Hut?”

“Yeh! I really want some cookie dough”

Kai watched on shaking his head with a smile, it was like he is you two maknae’s guardian although he had his share equally childish moments.

 

A/N: Gaming couple keke that sounds so lame haha, i never realised how reading your own story can make you cringe so much esp during the speech lol...

i haven't been updating as often lately i'm sorry :( exams already over so why does my work keep piling up T^T