Chapter 32b

I'm Sorry, I Love You

(Continuing on)  ^_^

 

“Really?!”

“Really really”

“…but why would you wanna go in…there?”

“Why wouldn’t I wanna go in there?”

“Guys who try to make you go on haunted house courses are just sly”

“You’re only saying that because you’re scared”

“I’m not!”

“That’s great! Let’s go then”

“F-fine!”

“But if you are scared, you can always hold onto me”

“Psh don’t worry, that won’t be happening”

Seconds after saying that, you inwardly cursed your stupid stubborn self as you vision came in contact with the darkness. You may not hold him but at the very least, you made sure to closely follow him for much more discreet security.

Your eyes were wide open like an on-alert animal in the wild as you continuously scanned your surroundings, not that you could see any better in doing so.

The two of you were only a few steps in, but the fear was already gripping onto you. You may be a big fan of horror movies but experiencing it yourself is a whole different story. With every careful step, the unsettling feeling twisted and turned in the pit of your stomach.

All of a sudden, something brushed against your hand making you instantly tense up, freezing on the spot. That something, then grabbed hold of you, making you jump and scream.

“Waaah!!”

You violently attempted to fling the grip off you but panicked even more when it didn’t let go and only tightened.

In a pure state of panic, your self-defense mechanisms reacted by itself and you smacked whatever had its hold on you, hoping it would let go.

“Ow! Calm down, it’s me!”

That familiar voice, stopped you from screaming “K-Kai?”

“Yeh...Jesus, that hurts”

“Sorry-” the situation slowly processed through your brain and you finally registered what he was doing “why are you even holding my hand anyway? I told you, I’m not scared”

“Whatever-” a low sigh escaped his lips, knowing how stubborn you could get “…let’s just say that I’m the one who’s scared, so just let me hold onto you…I don’t wanna be losing you here”

You clearly knew that he was blatantly lying, but you mentally thanked him, glad that he knew how to deal with your stubborn side.

To be honest, feeling him there made you feel so much safer. And yeh, you definitely wouldn’t want to be losing him in here either.

“Let’s just quickly get this over and done with”

Under Kai’s lead, you bravely stepped forward and proceeded to the next room where an eerie silence engulfed the place.

Both of you knew that something would jump out at you for sure. Just any second now…

Even so, that awareness didn’t make you feel any more mentally prepared. You squeezed Kai’s hand and unconsciously, your other hand had reached up to grab onto his upper arm as you inched closer for protection.

RIIIIP!

“Ommaaaa-hhh!!”

A faceless figure jumped out of one of the portrait frames, tearing its way through as he made an appearance. The horrifying experience gave you such a heart attack and without realising, you had turned and buried your head into Kai’s shoulder.

Kai was shocked at how scared you were, this was very different from the way he recalled how you enjoyed going to see all those horror films. His hand reached up and comfortingly patted you as he whispers assuringly.

“It’s ok, he’s gone now. Come on”

After the constant deafening screams that echoed throughout the entire house and a long, long time spent going through that course, it is safe to say that all those big roller coasters, the Viking, the drop tower, all of them were nothing compared to this.

Although you originally refused to hold his hand at first, you somehow came out of there with his arm protectively wrapped around your shoulders. The moment you stepped out, you did not care about anything else as you immediately crouched down outside to calm yourself.

Kai crouched down with you, hugging you and soothingly your back. Seeing you like this made him feel bad for making you go in there. He really had no idea that you’d be that scared.

“Hyeyi-ah, it’s ok…it’s over now”

You lifted your head, looking at him as he backed off a bit to see you properly. Trickles of tears silently rolled down your face and were brushed away by Kai’s thumbs.

“I’m sorry, I-”

You sniffled and looked at him with a sulky face “…idiot”

Kai softly smiled and gently pulled you up “come, I think you need some fresh air”

He led you to the beach and laid out his baseball jacket on the sand for the two of you to sit on.

The refreshing salty scent of the sea had a great effect on easing your nerves. Now that you felt more relaxed, you realised that the sky had already been washed with oranges and pinks, the sun was setting.

“Sorry, I didn’t think you’d be that scared. You were always fine with watching scary films, so I-”

“It’s ok, it was my own fault for being stubborn…and besides watching scary films, sure is different from experiencing something like that.” you turned to him and sincerely spoke “…thank you, for being there”

Kai smiled, glad to see that you’re feeling a lot better now. He suddenly stood up and turned to you “wait one minute, I’ll be right back!”

“Hm?” you watched, confused, as Kai jogged back into the park.

With the sun setting now, the entire park itself lit up with beautiful illuminations which would surely look even better once the skies darken.

Pulling your knees in and folding your arms over them, you rested your head and stared into the sea, waiting for Kai’s return.

A few minutes later, an ice cream cone appeared right in front of your face. You looked up at Kai in surprised

“Take it, it’s an apology gift”

You smiled and took the cone from his hand “thank you”

“You’re welcome”

Kai sat back down and ate from his own ice cream cone.

The two of you quietly ate and continued to sit in silence after finishing your own ice creams. Simply enjoying each other’s presence which was accompanied by the soothing sound of the gentle waves washing in and out.

The comforting wind suppressed the thrilled screams from the amusement park, allowing the beach to maintain the typical serene atmosphere. The sunset had dyed the sea a pinkish purple and the sand glowed under the beautiful colours in a majestic gold.

“It feels so nice here” your voice was muffled by your arms as you continue to rest your head on your knees.

“Mm, it does”

You titled your head in your arms, to take a look at Kai. With all the thrill and noise out of the way, your mind felt a lot clearer. But the problem is, the clearer your thinking was, the more likely you were to speak your mind.

“…Kai?”

“Hm?”

“…what’s the meaning of today’s date?”

Kai turned to give his full attention to you whilst you turned back to the front.

“…you’ve been acting weird recently, with your sudden disappearance…and those messages in my locker.” you stared down at the sand and muttered the last sentence more to yourself “…why do you have to leave me feeling so…confused?”

…“are you really asking me that ‘cause you don’t know?”

“Hm?”

You looked him in the eyes *he’s right…of course I know. Yet, here I am, pathetically dragging it out…and yet here he is, patiently waiting. Why does it feel like the tables had turned since our past relationship? The two of us again, but this time, it is me causing us pain…because I’m so stubborn, and afraid. Almost a year has gone, and now it seems like in the end, the bad guy here is, me.*

A hand softly landed on the top of my head, lightly ruffling my hair – an action that you had always scolded Kris for. But this time, with Kai doing it, it felt different. You didn’t feel annoyed or conscious of how your hair might look. Surprisingly it felt nice.

“It’s ok. You don’t have to think about that right now.” he got up and held his hand out to you “for now, just enjoy the fun”

Lifting your head up, you stared at his hand. Your eyes travelled up to his inviting smile which made you smile back as you grabbed hold of his hand and let him effortlessly pull you up.

“You up for a few games?”

Knowing that he was referring to the side stall games, you brightened up and cheerfully smiled.

“Sure, why not?”

The sky had completely gone dark now and the view of the amusement was looking at its best with its breathtaking illuminations.

The two of you kicked of your competitive streak with the traditional hook-a-duck game, which you both failed miserably in. you then went on  to knock down some cans, where you earned your first victory. But Kai managed to get his own back in basketball shooting, where your short height put you in great disadvantage.

As competitive as the two of you were with each other, neither of you, or more specifically you, had no interest in winning the dolls that those stalls had to offer.

That is, until you came across an adorable giant cuddly bear at the cork gun shooting gallery.

Kai was quick to notice how your eyes had finally landed on one of the ‘prizes’, he was determined to win it for you but that would be no fun if there were no challenge.

“Want it? I can win it you, if you want” he provoked

Feminism. I can win it myself, thank you very much.  I’m an independent woman.” you confidently declared

“Pft…say that again after you win it”

The two of you slammed down the correct change at the same, asking for one round of loaded pistols.

The stall worker explained the rules and conditions. Paying no attention to how many targets needed to be shot down for the other insignificant prizes, the only information that entered your minds was that the amount of targets that have to be shot down in order to win the grand prize. And that’s 15 targets.

After finding the most comfortable and steady position to hold the gun, you aimed at the target, squinting one eye to get better concentration.

“Is it even safe for a gun to be in your hands?”

You glared at the male besides you who spoke just before you pulled the trigger.

“Shut up, I’m concentrating”

Bang.

“That’s one target down miss”

Turning to Kai, you stuck your tongue out at him who tch’ed you before getting into the game himself, holding his gun up.

With another bang, your tenth target was shot down. Kai wasn’t doing too bad himself and has already caught up to you.

Squinting your left eye again, you took aim, not knowing that Kai was observing you with cunning intentions.

 “Don’t go cockeyed” 

…bang.

Your jaw dropped as you missed the target and hit the backboard instead. You stiffly turned looked accusingly at him in disbelief.

“Congratulations miss. You have won the second prize!”

Kai teasingly smirked, the two of shared eye contact, communicating the same word through your eyes, though they were expressed in very different ways. *…second*

In the end you had settled with your second prize, which was also a really big teddy, around 3ft. It was just like a slightly smaller version of the one you wanted but in white.

Sulkily hugging your teddy, you watched Kai, waiting for him to finish his round of shooting. As much as you wanted to distract him like he did to you, you were too tired for more competition and simply let him be.

Bang.

“Wow, that’s 1 more to go for the grand prize sir”

Hearing that, you straightened up and watched on in interest, even though the results were pretty much obvious.

Bang.

“Congratulations! 15 targets down! And here is your grand prize.”

“Thanks”

Kai grabbed the huge teddy which was almost 2ft smaller than him and teasingly smirked at you.

“So, enjoyed yourself, independent woman?”

“That’s not fair, you cheated”

He snickered before kindly making a nice offer to you.

 “Ok, I’m joking…let’s trade them”

“Trade?”

“Yeh, you keep mine and I’ll keep yours”

“Really? Why would you wanna do that? You won it”

He shrugged, like he couldn’t care less.

“Maybe I just like yours better…it kinda remind me of you”

Now that he mentions it, your eyes travelled to the big mocha brown coloured teddy on his back and you chuckled “and yours reminds me of you” Kai smiled, chuckling along with you.

“So it’s settled then”

The two of you walked around holding the two big teddies. Well, whilst you continued holding the white one, Kai had to piggy back the bigger one as yous headed towards the brightly lit up ferris wheel.

The teddies were settled down next to each other on the seats, mirroring the seating arrangement between you and Kai.

Both of you looked quite tired sat there as yous looked over the teddies like parents.

“How was today for you then?”

Kai looked down, messing around with his fingers, looking like he was waiting for the right moment to say something.

“Mmm…tiring…but I had a lot of fun.”

Still looking down, he broke out into a small smile “…that’s good…”

“Thank you, for taking me out”

Even though you had to go through the haunted house as well as those big thrill rides. You genuinely enjoyed yourself today and were really grateful that he had suddenly pulled you out on this date.

It was like a breath of fresh air in your frustrating week.

The sincereness in that sentence had Kai returning his full attention to you. The moment he set eyes on you, he couldn’t bring himself to tear his eyes away.

The cart steadily rose higher and higher. And unaware of his longing gaze, you turned to the window, your eyes twinkling under the night sky as you take in the magnificent night view.

“Wow~…this place is amazing”

The dark sky and illuminations that lit up the park, everything that entered Kai’s frame of sight, complimented each and every one of your delicate features. The view before him was really amazing indeed. Like a masterpiece artwork brought to life…too good to be true.

“Yeh, really beautiful” he whispered, his eyes still on you

But nevermind noticing his gaze, you weren’t even able to hear his voice as it was buried under the sound of the colourful explosives that shot up into the sky one after the other, it’s range of colours rippling through the darkness.

“Wah! Fireworks!”

You excitedly pressed your palms against the windows of the cart, staring up at the blazing flowers that sparkled in the sky.

Unlike you, Kai paid no attention to the outside whatsoever. The fireworks were not special enough to take his attention away from something far more important.

His focus was on you, only.

“…Hyeyi-ah”

“Hmmm?”

“…before…at the beach…you asked me what’s the meaning of this date, right?”

Only now did you realise how tone down his voice was. There was a deadly serious aura that wrapped around his words as they rolled off his tongue, but you were too amazed by the outside view to realise it earlier.

And now that you did, you carefully inched back from the window, silently shifting your attention away from the outside. Both your hands still rested on the glass surface. Compared to before, they had notably relaxed as your fingers loosely curled in slightly.

“…and all those messages I left you, you read them all, right?”

The cautiousness in his words sent your heart into a mess. You couldn’t tell whether this feeling was unease or something else. But you did know what he was trying to get at and you weren’t sure whether you were prepared for this.

All you could do is stiffly nod, with your back still facing him.

“The last sentence in the last message, do you remember what it says?”

“…I-I love…you?”

“Mm…Hyeyi-ah, all those messages, every one of them, I really meant every word I wrote… I wasn’t just playing around when I wrote them. Trust me, I’m not like that, not anymore. I didn’t write them to mess with your feelings. I promise, I would never make the same mistakes again. I really regretted what I did, I really regretted losing you. I’m sorry for the pain I have caused you…Hyeyi-ah, I love you. I really mean it…can you give me, us, one last chance? Hyeyi-ah, will you be my girlfriend?”

This was a moment you were avoiding for what seemed like forever. Now that the reality has finally hit you, you didn’t know what to do.

Were you really ready for another shot at this relationship?

Or were you still scared?

Scared of getting hurt again…but the Kai right now wouldn’t hurt you, you knew that.

So what’s exactly stopping you?

You don’t even know the answer to that yourself.

No matter what the answer is, it’s not like you can just run away…especially when you’re hanging in mid air like this.

…slowly and stiffly…you turned to face him.

“Kai, I-”

Your breath once again hitched in your throat. Just like what happened in the morning, Kai had unknowingly inched in til the tip of his nose was almost touching yours.

But unlike this morning, something felt different.

His eyes…they were different…they were darker, maybe it was because of the night skies…no, that’s not it…you could see and sense it...his eyes…they were embraced by a strong force, pulling you in.

“You don’t have to answer me now…for now, just..don’t say anything”

His voice came out lower and huskier than you’ve ever heard it…that, was the only thing that your brain could register before you body tensed at his touch.

His hand had stealthily found its way up to the back of your neck.

And the next thing you felt was his lips softly pressing against yours. His kiss was slow, gentle and bewitchingly enticing.

His other hand s around your waist, the final trigger that had successfully pulled you into his grasp. And just like that, your entire body had fallen under his spell as your eyes fluttered closed.

The fireworks outside continued to soar up into skies. And the fireworks in your heart soared up with them, exploding with a beautiful mix of colours that bloomed brighter all the others.

Your lips gradually started to respond to his, slowly matching his rhythm as both lips massaged against each other, moving in sync.

His hold around your waist tightens as he deepens his kiss but gradually pulls himself away with reluctance, as if trying to refrain himself.

The moment your lips parted, the two of stared into each other’s eyes.

The ferris wheel cart shook as it bumped into the platform during landing. And you who were sat at the edge of your seat almost slipped off had a strong pair of arms not caught you.

Kai’s fast reflexes instantly prevented you from falling as you were gently pulled back onto your seat.

“You ok?”

You looked up at him with your big Bambi eyes.

“…ahem...yeh” your cheeks flushed a bright pink and you quickly darted your eyes away “…we should er…get off now”

Kai smiled, amused by flustered reaction.

Your face felt really hot and you deliberately tried to avoid eye contact with him as you grabbed the white teddy and stepped out of the cart. Kai followed after you, grabbing the other teddy as he went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car journey back home was awkward – for you. You were awfully fidgety although you fought the urge to be like that. As for Kai, he was kept rather entertained, the more he watched as you avoided looking him in the eyes, the more amused he got.

He kept side glancing at you as he drove, his smile growing wider with each glance. It was a surprise that he had a good enough concentration on the road itself.

After what felt like hours for an half an hour drive, the car pulled up outside your house.

Both of you got out of the car as Kai helped position the giant mocha brown bear on your back.

“Can you manage?”

“…yeh, it’s only a few steps…” you pulled onto the teddy’s arms that hung over your shoulders “…so I guess I’ll see you…whenever?”

“Yeh, seeya”

“…bye bye”

Struggling with the size of the bear, you trudged towards your house. *Just…a few…more steps*

“Hyeyi-ah”

“Hm?” you turned around ever so slightly, looking adorable as you held that oversized bear which was just a bit smaller than you, height wise, on your back.

Kai stood by the driver seat, leaning one arm on the open door.

“I’ll be waiting for your answer”

“Hm? ……ah…yeh…that…ok”

“Good night”

“…night”

Kai stood watching you as you enter the house before getting inside the car. His eyes were still fixed on your front door and the ferris wheel kiss came flowing into mind.

Gripping onto the top of the steering wheel, he slammed his head onto his hands.  

*Kim Jongin, what the hell were you thinking back there? You almost lost complete control of yourself…* he recalled how he had to force himself to pull himself away, parting your lips just before he took things further *Damn. That was so close.*

Inside your house, you had used the last of your energy to throw the big teddy onto your bed and fell down next to it, your arms sprawled out.

Taking a deep breath, you turned your head and came face to face with the bear.

“Hyeyi-ah, will you be my girlfriend?”

You rolled onto your side to face the bear properly.

“What do you think? Should I accept him?”

Silence.

“What am I doing at all? As if the bear is actually gonna answer me”

You playfully scrunched your face at the lack of response and poked its nose.

Loosening up your expression, your mind travelled back to that kiss and your fingers reached up, brushing against your lips.

The simple memory of it happening itself had your heart doing cartwheels in your chest. Even now, everything feels so vivid, his scent, his touch, the feeling he’s left you with, lingers in your body and mind.

“…there’s really no denying it anymore…I like him, really like him…this feeling, I don’t know whether I can confidently call it love. But I like him, I like Kai…that’s for sure”

Grabbing hold of the teddy, you faced the ceiling, using all the strength in your arms to hover it over you.

“The question is, am I really ready for this?”

Buzzz buzz

Looking to the side, where your bag lays, you placed the teddy back onto the bed and got up, taking your phone out of the bag.

 

Kris Oppa

So…enjoyed your date?

 

Blinking at the small screen, you read over the message again. Your eyebrows twitched at that sly tone in the message.

*…he kne—w…?

“…anyway, are you busy tomorrow?”

“No, why?”

“Great! Don’t ask, just make sure to dress up prettily!”

“Huh?”

…don't tell me … HE ACTUALLY SET ME UP?!! Oh my God. I can’t believe this …... OPPPPPPAAAAA!!!!*

 

 

A/N: ...i love writing kris' character the most in this fic XD

Hope you enjoyed this chapter ^_~

Thank you for commenting and subscribing!!