Chapter 20

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

Miyoung struts down the corridor with her group of girls following behind her. She comes to a stop and crosses her arms as her sharp eyes scan everyone passing by.

"The school...it's getting too quiet these days"

One of her minions daringly speaks up as she boredly checks her nails.

"Of course, the rumours about Yoo Hyeyi and Kai oppa has already been dispersed...what else can these people talk about?"

Her mindless comment was unappreciated by the superior one, earning her a death glare. Fear consumed her eyes as she immediately accepts her lower place. Awkwardly avoiding eye contact, she silences herself and straightens up.

A smirk appears on Miyoung's face, satisfied with the effect of her authority. She looks up and quickly spots her worst nemesis...you, Yoo Hyeyi...the look in her eyes changed like that of a predator picking up the sense of her prey.

"I guess I'll have to take action myself"

You notice Miyoung staring at you and rolled your eyes. *Not her again*

The more you closed in on her the tighter the grip on your books got. Just before you could walk past her, Miyoung pushes herself off the wall and stands directly in your path.

Sighing at the obstacle standing in your way, you attempted to ignore her and stepped to the side, only to have the rest of the girls forming a line across the corridor. *so mature*

"Excuse me"

"Hyeyi-ah, did you forget what I told you in the girl's toilets?"

*I didn’t forget...I just never listened to begin with*

You force a smile at the unnatural looking figure in front of you.

"Can you please let me get past you?"

"Are you deaf? Answer me"

Another sigh escape your little lips

...

"Omo! That little-!"

Your slim body easily slipped past a small opening between Miyoung and another girl. As you passed through, you arms slightly came into contact with theirs but being a drama queen, Miyoung made it seem like she was violently pushed.

"YAH!"

Your feet came to a stop, just by the staircase.

Cold shivers ran down your spine and an uncomfortable tingly feeling filled your ears as that shriek echoed down the corridor.

Within that moment of disturbances, Miyoung has come storming up. One of her minions, worriedly called out to her.

“Miyoung-ah…”

Within a heartbeat she forcefully pulled your petite body around to face her. You looked into her venom like eyes for a millisecond before diverting your attention to the much more important books that flung out of your arms and went flying down the stairs. 

“…come on, let’s just go now”

“Don’t tell me what to do”

She scowled before glaring at you one last time and harshly barged past you.

As Miyoung’s shoulder crashed into yours, you reflexively stepped back in attempt to support your body. What you didn’t realise was how close to the top step you were.

The imbalance of your footings caught you by surprise, not giving you enough time to react………and before you knew it, your whole body went tumbling down the stairs.

Shocked by the loud thuds, Miyoung turns back around to see what happened. Her eyes widens in horror.

Exo K wanders into school and the first thing they saw were all the students gathering around the stairs. They all looked confused.

Baekhyun slightly stretched his neck to try and see what was going on.

“Whoa, what’s going on here?”

Chanyeol who was tall enough to see more than the rest could noticed something strange.

“Why isn’t anyone going up or down the stairs?”

Sehun just wanted to get to lesson but the problem was that it was on the second floor and that staircase is the only way up…and so he went ahead, pushing his way through the thick crowd.

As he got closer, he notices the spotlight of all this commotion lying on the landing of stairs.

“NOONA!!”

The sudden shouting of the maknae gave the group of kingkas more of a presence and all the students quickly scrambled out of their way.

All of Exo K had their ears perked up at the sound of Sehun’s voice.

Kai who was stood as far away from the crowd didn’t even care about anyone else right now. He quickly charged forward and froze at bottom of the stairs…everything in his eyes dimmed….all he could see was the sight of an unconscious you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the school’s infirmary, Kai seems to have been staying by your side the whole time. The school nurse had stated that you’re condition was not too serious, although you may suffer from a concussion. After checking up on you and treating your head, she left the room to attend to some sort of business.

Kai’s phone starts ringing causing you to stir in your sleep. Whilst he went to pick up the call, you woke up with a horrible throbbing pain in your head that had you wincing as your hand reaches up to find that a big plaster was stuck over it.

Still lying down, you observe your surroundings. The bed was sectioned off from the office-like environment, with room divider boards which gave the bed areas more of a privacy space.  

Recognising this as the school’s infirmary, you felt more at ease.

That is until see Kai at the other side of the room, quietly talking over the phone.

Noticing that he is ending his call, for some reason you started panicking on the inside. Seeing him turn around, your eyes automatically shut…in the end you had resorted to the sleeping act.

Every step he took was loud enough for you to estimate the distant between yous and needless to say he kept coming closer, stopping right beside your bed. A short moment of shuffling could be heard as he took a seat on the chair placed next to you.

“……how could you still be sleeping like this……do you have any idea how worried I was……? Seeing your body lay unconscious on those stairs…almost made me go crazy…...”

Your facial muscles felt really twitchy as you struggle to keep up with this sleeping act.

His silence was making you feel more nervous as your heartbeat quickened and your back was rapidly warming up.

Electric waves travelled through your body when you felt soft fingertips tickling your skin as he brushed a few strands of hair away from your face.

Your shoulders stiffened at the contact, but luckily it wasn’t too obvious for him to have noticed you are not actually sleeping.

Kai’s fingers lingered over your soft milky white skin and you could feel the rest of his hand softly land on it. Your ears picked up a very quiet nose laugh from him as he gently caresses your cheek.

“…yet after all that…you could still sleep so peacefully…”

Hearing that…your mind was literally screaming at him…*oh trust me, I am not, feeling any peace at this very moment*…but was silenced when you felt his thumb lightly run across your lips.

That little action had you mentally erupting in panic mode but you did not dare to show it. Your hands clenched up into tight fists…giving it your all to endure all this…I mean how awkward, not to mention embarrassing, would it be if your act was to be exposed?

….

…right then…

…without warning…

…warm, plump lips pressed against yours…

Now.

That.

Did.

It.

Your heartbeat literally froze.

Your breathing stopped.

And a weird but familiar feeling emerged in the pit of your stomach.

Your eyes shot opened…for a second, you thought you could see a flash of panic in Kai’s eyes…that were so close to yours…too close.

…but if by chance you saw right…this guy must have been real quick to compose himself.

Instead of being shocked or surprised, he actually returned back to that cocky guy you’ve always known.

His face slowly pulled away and that calm, husky…voice escaped his lips.

“You’re awake”

You widened your eyes even more at how absurd this was.

Your body sprung up, causing him to back away from you as you narrowly missed headbutting him in the face.

Exaggeratingly backing away into the headboard of the bed, both your hands were brought up to your mouth, defensively covering it.

“YOU….! What were you doing?!”

Just before he could say anything, you held one hand out at him, signalling him to stop.

“Ani…forget it…don’t explain…j-just stay away from me…”

The bed covers were thrown off you with one swift movement.

All you wanted was to get out of here as quick as possible

…but as soon as you jumped off the bed, an agonising pain spazzes out in your ankle…your originally very, very weak ankle that just loves to fail you at times like this…that stupid ankle that had you falling forward, your face crashing into a firm chest.

You pull away, pouting as you rub your nose which suffered the most from that little crash.

The feeling of someone’s toned arms wrapped around your body to support you, had you thinking back for a moment.

Exactly three seconds…it took, until a pang of realisation hit you hard in the back of the head.

You looked up at him, your eyes unintentionally meeting his…that brief eye contact reminded you of the current situation and you harshly pushed yourself off him.

Kai worriedly held out his arms that were ready to catch you as you fell back but luckily you landed back on the bed.

He continued to blankly stare at you before laughing in disbelief. *Yep…this is the girl I fell in love with*

Still laughing to himself he crouched and grabbed your ankle.

“Ah!” you loudly winced in pain as your hand reached down for it.

“You~ should probably get that checked out”

Both you and Kai turn to see the very amused school nurse. The entertained smile on her face, worried you as she stood leaning against the divider board…for god knows how long...

 

A/N: Ok I gotta admit...the whole falling down the stairs thing just seems soooo unrealistic lmao...is it actually possible to be completely fine after that haha

On a side not...I have just started a new fic...starring our very own lovely unicorn haha,,,,Loving My Best Friend <<< please check it out if you have time ^_^