Chapter 16

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

 

Suji~

Meet you in school library last period :)

Xx

 

*The one day I finish early*

One by one your classmates leaves as you stood pouting at your phone screen. With a little huff you place your phone back into your pocket and slung your bag on. Grabbing your lever arch file, you hug your work as you trudge along towards the library.

At the back of the library sat Suji who was hidden in the corner with work and books scattered around her. You raised your brows at the mess and wearily placed your file down. Taking a seat opposite her and conveniently pulling her mind out of all the work.

Suji looks up at you, her concentration face immediately exchanges with a bright smile.

“Hyeyi-ah, you’re here”

“Hi…that’s a lot of work”

 Suji’s eyes rolls down towards her countless sheets of paper. She starts gathering them together in attempt to tidy up a bit.

“Forget about this…” her eyes returns to you “…we’re here for you. So, what’s going on with Kai?”

You chuckled at how casually she brought up the topic

“…straight to the point then”

“I learnt this from you”

“Me?”

“Yep you, you have no idea how direct you can be. Now stop delaying it and explain”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Masses of students files out of their classes as the last bell of the day rings. Fei, Jia and Minyoung gathers at the school gates, waiting for the maknaes – you and Suji.

“UNNIEE~”

You and Suji finally show up. The two of you enthusiastically ran up to them holding hands. Just like your usual happy selves. The two of you dived towards them, squashing them into a big group hug.

“Yah~ what are yous doing?”

“Oh my god”

“Let go already”

Suji released them from this special greeting first and was followed by you. Both of you giddily smiled at them whilst the others sighed but couldn’t help but to smile at your liveliness.

“So, where are we off to?”

“Café Lavender”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a newly opened café, it seemed really busy. But of course the vast majority of customers were females. All who were going all oogly eyes on the good looking waiters.

Fei scanned the full café, impressed at how great her cousin’s business was doing. Tao was the first one to have noticed the five of yous. He quickly placed the cups of coffee down on the table, not noticing the hearts shooting out of the girls’ eyes. 

He jogged over to greet yous whilst you all stood in awe at the amount of customers there were.

“Fei noona!” he shyly turned to the rest of you, politely acknowledging your presences with a little bow and awkward “hi”

Jia, Minyoung and Suji bowed in response whilst you happily greeted him.

“Hi panda”

Tao smiled at you, feeling more relaxed.

“Hey Tao, it’s looking really busy in here”

“Yeh…too busy” Tao complained with a tired pout

“Wow, you guys sure are popular”

He rubbed the nape of his neck, embarrassed by your comment

“Er…” he looked around at all the occupied tables “…mian, but the only space available is where duizhang is sat”

You tilted your head at him “Dui- who?”

His eyes directed yous all towards a table outside the staff room. At that specific table sat Kris who was boredly staring into space with an ice cream cone in hand

“…ahh~”

Seeing him again, had you remembering how you left him at the café by the shopping mall. The reminder of the incident made you lose your usual cool and you could feel the awkwardness overcome you. The guy seemed like the arrogant intelligent type and you don’t think it was particularly hard for him to work out what that episode was about that day.

*it was too obvious for him not to have worked it out*

Everyone has already walked a few steps ahead towards him whilst you thought back. Suji lightly nudged you, giving you a comforting smile and grabbed your hand, pulling you along to the others.

His very presence had the girls squealing at him and passerbys outside were taking little sneak peeks at the handsome young man. However he paid no attention to them like he was completely used to the attention, no surprise there.

His line of vision snakes its way pass the other Miss A members and Tao, finding its way straight to you. Your appearance added a touch of twinkle to Kris’ ice cold eyes and a smile unconsciously emerged on his emotionless face.

You were completely oblivious to the affection spilling out of those dark orbs of his. And response to his gaze, you nervously looked him directly in the eyes, hoping that your telepathic message would get to through to him.

*Please, please don’t mention the incident*

Kris furrowed his brows at you, concentrating on whatever message you were trying to get across to him, but was forced to turn away from you as he saw Fei and Tao nearing him at the corner of his eyes.

“Duizhang, all the other tables are occupied so you can have the honours of sitting with the girls”

“Oppa…you don’t mind if we join you, do you?”

 “Huh? Oh…no, go ahead.”

“Well sorry for disturbing”

Fei took a seat next to Kris. The other girls still felt slightly awkward around him. They left an open seat for you to sit beside him as well, considering how you knew him better than the rest. You stared at the empty seat in disappointment and shared a brief eye contact with him before reluctantly sitting yourself down.

Tao efficiently took your orders and went off. You cautiously glanced at Kris, hoping he wouldn’t bring up the avoided topic and his silence was making you feel more nervous by the second.

Of course you wouldn’t have mind if the girls knew about Kai, they’re bound to find out sooner or later anyway. But you really didn’t want Min to overact with the whole Kai issue again.

Relieving yourself from the uncomfortable silence, you spoke up, trying to get everyone to engage into a conversation.

“So…aren’t you supposed to be helping out with the café?”

“Right, you were one of the waiters as well weren’t you?”

“Oh about that, I was only helping out for the opening day”

“What, so you don’t actually work here then?”

“No, I just help out every so often”

 You quietly mumbled to yourself “I don’t see you help out now when it’s so busy”

Kris who was sat right next to you, clearly heard every word you said. He wasn’t affected by your blunt words and instead answered in a rather causal manner.

“I just finished a shift before the maknaes came back from school, actually

You uneasily looked at him. *I really need to get rid of this habit of speaking my mind out loud*

“Yeh, you really should”

You jumped at the sound of his voice, causing him to victoriously smirk at you whilst you look at him in shock.

*He- did he just read my mind?!*

“No I read your face…”

*He what…? Was that suppose to be sarcasm?*

“No, it’s not” you widened your eyes at him again “…I meant that your expressions said it all”

You suspiciously squinted your eyes whilst everyone else on the table watched the amusing interaction between the two of you. Fei smiled to herself and commented on the scene.

“Well you two seem quite close”

You immediately responded to her “we’re not”

“No, of course not”

Kris was clearly enjoying every second of this as he happily received the glares he got off you for his sarcasm.

*Why does he like it so much when people have the misconception that we’re close?*

“Wow, it’s quite a rare sight to see our innocent maknae act rude towards someone like that”

You sat up straight as you defensively spoke

“I was not rude”

Instead of Tao, Luhan comes along with drinks after listening in to quite a bit of the little chat.

“It’s rare to see Duizhang pay so much attention to a girl as well”

His comment had Kris giving him the shut-up look

Luhan placed everyone’s orders and angelically smiled at yous “Enjoy your drinks” before quickly scuttling off to work. Fei observed Kris, agreeing to his baby faced friend.

“Luhan oppa is right. When I first met you, you literally ignored my entire existence”

 “I did?”

Fei nodded at him, taking a sip of her coffee

“It took quite a while for you to actually speak to me.”

“I envy your life…” you turned to Kris “…why couldn’t you have just ignored me like that?”

“Well clumsy…if I ignored you, I wonder what would have happened in the library”

His response had you lost for words. You could only sit blinking at him *he’s right* still, you refused to back down from this

“Well…well…you could have ignored me after that!”

You didn’t even notice how loud you were getting as the female customers watched you argue with Kris in jealousy. Funnily enough, this ridiculous augment kept Lay and the others amused through their hard day of work.

“Yeh and the same thing woulda happened in the supermarket as well”

Your tilt as you try to remember what happened in the supermarket.

“I would have been fine if you didn’t jinx me”

“…if you say so” he took a bite of his ice cream

Your jaw drops in disbelief *what is wrong with this guy?!!*

“Nothing’s wrong with me, you’re the one with the problem”

“Well mind reader, what is my problem?”

 “Lack of appreciation towards the person who nicely saved you from falling, on three occasions”

*Sure, nicely*

“Well thank you for nicely saving me. It was very kind of you and I genuinely thought you were a nice guy…”

Kris stopped eating his ice cream and looked at you *did I just hear right?*

“…but now I think you’re just a douchebag”

A loud snicker was heard from Chen who just happened to be walking by your table, followed by the laughter of Luhan and Xiumin who high fived each other over the counter. Lay raised his brows in amusement and even Tao couldn’t hide that smile of his.

Despite how entertaining the argument was, Lay had to interrupt it in order to greet his cousin.

“Hi girls,”

“Ge!”

Fei stopped laughing at you and Kris and hugged her cousin. Everyone else chimed “annyeonghaseyo” at him after Fei released the hug.

“I’m sorry I kinda neglected yous”

“No its fine, we can see how busy it is”

“…and besides, we have our own entertainment here”

All of Miss A and Lay eyed you…and Kris who was still gaping at you. You looked at them, with the word ‘me?’ written all over your face

Lay smiled “I’m glad to see you’re all enjoying yourselves. And it’s not just yous, but the whole café is being entertained by this”

You scanned the area and gulped at the attention you were receiving.

 

A/N: Hi i'm back haha...I promised my friend that would update to celebrate the last of my january exams but I'm not entirely satisfied with this chapter I just basically typed out whatever my mind came up with

I used up to many brain cells remmebering four booklets of info for the crappy exam :(

...nevertheless I hope you enjoyed it ^_^