Chapter 15

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

School went on as normal, going through the same routine that has been applied to your everyday life. The same small talks that generates youthful laughter and friendly arguments. The same lessons you force yourself through everyday.

It was just another school day, but why is it that something feels different? Unknowingly the school, the class, the atmosphere, everything, no longer looked or felt dull, boring and meaningless. Everything looked so much brighter than before with a nice touch of twinkle to your now colourful life.

Like usual, you jot down some notes, diligently listening to the teacher and occasionally checking the time, zoning out every so often.

Whilst writing down a final bit of note, you could feel someone’s eyes on you, stopping the movement in your hand. Trying to ignore it, you finish off writing and look up at the teacher. The uncomfortability was getting to you and without realising it, you were losing your focus in the lesson.

Severely irritated by the disturbing feeling of being watched, your head turns to the direction in which the watchful eyes were coming from. 

Outside the window, on your left. On the opposite side of the school building. Sat Kai.

*Of course it had to be him…I’m sure someone else is suppose to sit there…the idiot, did he actually kick someone out of their own seat?*

The two of you held onto each other’s gaze and a staring competition broke out. Both pairs of eyes reflecting very different thoughts and feelings.

Kai had a teasing gaze as if challenging you to engage into this silly competition which you gladly accepted with the look of annoyance in your eyes.

Poke.

You were forced to withdraw yourself from the stare-off as you feel the end of someone’s pen jab into your back.

“Yah, Hyeyi-ah”

You turn to face a loudly whispering Suji.

“Stop dozing off and pass me the worksheet”

Without even noticing, the lesson’s worksheets seem to have magically appeared on your desk. Feeling a bit bad for the rather delayed response, you quickly take one and give the other to Suji, apologising to her.

You sent Kai a blaming glare for distracting you in class which he returned with a triumphant smirk, slyly reminding you of your defeat in the staring competition.

You glared at him more which seems to have signalled him to mouth ‘sorry’ to you with an apologetic salute. That salute caught the attention of his teacher who made him stand up in the middle of the class.

*Karma. Who’s the one laughing now?*

Kai gives you one last look which made you laugh at his bad luck.

But if his luck is bad, yours must be terrible.

“Miss Yoo. Stand up.”

The voice of the teacher had you gulping. You slowly stood up, your eyes meeting Kai’s again. The smirk returns to his face when he sees you in the same situation as him.

“Care to share your funny story to the class, Miss Yoo?”

Your head remains hung down. You were stood in a very formal and awkward position, your hands neatly placed on top of each other in front.

“Jeosonghamnida”

“You must have done a lot of work to be leisurely looking outside. What question are you on?”

You looked down at your blank worksheet, feeling slightly ashamed of yourself. Taking advantage of your awkward stance, your eyes quickly glances at the student’s work on your right. Telling the evil Mr Lee that you did no work is completely suicidal. And so without a choice, you risked lying to him.

“Q-Question 5, sir”

“Is that so? What’s the answer for question 4?”

Your heart is racing at frightening speed and you felt like you were gonna suffocate yourself into a panic attack. Refusing to let your panicking heart get the better of you, you skim through the question and was able to quickly work everything out.

*Omma, appa, I am forever grateful for the intelligence you gifted this daughter of yours with…saranghae~~~*

As you confidently say the correct answer out loud, the teacher could do nothing but let you off the hook.

“…please stay focused Miss Yoo. You may sit now”

“Neh, kamsahamnida”

Plopping your down, you release a deep sigh of relief. Behind you, Suji quietly gets your attention.  You lean back in your seat, holding up your worksheet to read through the questions and to cover up your conversation with your friend ~ thank God for giving women the ability to multitask.

“Yah, gwenchana?”

“Neh…that was close though”

“At least you made a great recovery…even Voldemort couldn’t do anything to you. You’re so lucky”

“Haha, lucky? Me? If I was I wouldn’t even be put in that dreaded situation”

“Well it wasn’t exactly your fault to begin with. I saw how he distracted you, you know”

You turned around to look her in the eye, afraid she would misunderstand anything. Suji just simply gives you an understanding smile.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell the others…especially Min-ie”

“Miss Yoo!”

Your almost slipped off the seat as you jumped. Your heart felt like it dropped to the pit of your stomach at the sound of Lord Voldemort’s voice.

“I hope there is a good reason why you are constantly disrupting my class. If you carry on like this, I’ll have you to take your desk outside where you will finish off your work. You, young lady are a model student in this school. Stop disappointing me and set a better example to the other students, will you?”

“Jeosonghamnida”

You stood up and bowed in apology to him. The dark lord opened his mouth to give you another round of lecturing but to your luck, you were saved by the bell.

“I do not wish to see such a disappointing sight of you again, Miss Yoo. Class dismissed.”

After making sure that he left the classroom and is well on his way down the corridor, you point your finger in his direction.

“Expecto Patronum!!”

Suji laughs and pat you on the shoulder.

“Oh come on, he’s not a dementor that you can simply drive away…it takes a lot more than that to get rid of he-who-must-not-be-named.”

She leaned in and dramatically whispered the last part. Your shoulders deflate as you seriously take in the wise words of your friend.

“Your right” keeping up your act, you turn to her “Suji-ah, we shall strive for the success of vanquishing the dark lord…if we work together, we can do this”

Suji scoffs at the fake look of determination on your face, lightly nudging your head.

“Enough now, we should get going…one more lesson before lunch. You in language class now?”

“Neh and you’re in history?”

“Mm hm”

“I’ll see you at lunch then”

You waved her off as the two of you go your separate ways.

“Hey”

Not even a second you separated and Suji spins back around, calling for you.

“…about your distraction in class…we will need to talk later”

“………….…arasso, text me the meet up place”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another hour of lesson time came and passed. And now it’s already lunch again.

You step out of language class and was met with the same enveloping hug from Sehun. However the hug lasted a lot shorter than usual as Kai pops out of nowhere.

He lets out a big, forced yawn. His long, muscular arms stretch out and he cunningly thumps the side of his precious dongsaeng’s head.

You felt Sehun’s head lightly bop against yours before he releases you and rubs the spot where he was hit. Kai looks at his maknae, feigning concern but failing to hide the hint of mischief in his eyes.

“Oh mian, does it hurt?”

You and Sehun shared the same what-the-hell-are-you-even-doing-here look on your faces. Sehun quickly shakes off his shock. His right hand remains on his head whilst his left hand accusingly points at his equally immature hyung.

“Hyung! You did that on purpose!”

Kai widen his eyes to aid himself with the innocent act, he raises his hands in defense.

“It was an accident! I was stretching my arms and you…you just happened to be there”

“Noona!”

Sehun turns to you for support. Kai mumbles after him “she’s younger than you, stop calling her noona” which earned a childlike glare from the younger one.

You stood there with your eyes still on Kai, completely baffled by this scene. Sehun’s arms reaches out, like he was beckoning you to give him a comforting hug.

Before he was able to wrap his arms around you again, Kai instantly grabs hold of the back of his collar and pulls him back. It was quite a rare scene to see someone restrict this spoilt maknae from any skinship with you.

The fact that Kai is here acting like this is something perfectly normal, itself left you completely speechless.

And you simply had no idea how you should react to all this.

Sehun struggles to get himself out of his hyung’s strong grip, preparing himself to lunge towards his safety fortress – you.

Kai lightly yanks Sehun back again, hoping that would keep him still. (A/N: I didn’t know how to write this without making Kai sound abusive lol don’t worry Kai really does love his maknae deep down in his heart haha)

“Oh no you don’t…maknae-ah the hyungs are waiting, let’s go”

Different from the demanding looks he gave Sehun; Kai looks at you with kindness.

“You worked hard today, I’ll take care of this brat for you”

*…. Bwoh? I worked hard? You were the one distracting me in lesson!!*

He smiled at you and continued “see you later”, finishing his sentence with a wink, directed at you only.

Your jaws drops as you watch him turn away like it was nothing, casually dragging the maknae along by the back of his collar.

*WHA~~T?! Did he just….he actually WINKED at me?!! Wha~t. The. Hell is this guy thinking?!!*

Sehun kicks his legs, his arms waving around all over the place as he makes continuous futile attempts to escape. Realising how useless it is, he gives up and instead reaches out for the still-frozen-you in desperate need of help.

Up ahead, Exo K were all together witnessing the comical scene. Suho and D.O mirrored the shock and cluelessness in your face.

And Baekyeol…well as expected from the childish best friends…they made the most of the moment and happily watched on, enjoying the large packet of Butterkist Toffee flavoured popcorn shared between them. Throwing the popcorns in their mouths as they stood closely together to watch the scene like they were actually at the movies. And if that wasn’t enough for them, they even made quiet comments about their thoughts of this special VIP screening.

“…and that is how the cocky brat makes his long awaited comeback”

“hahaha…” Chanyeol hysterically laugh, clapping his hand like a penguin “…too bad for the maknae”

….if only they had drinks and comfy seats as well….

Baekhyun throws another popcorn into his mouth when he sees the group’s maknaes approaching.

 

A/N: Completed my assignment work now YAAY...now I have to revise for an upcoming exam :(

As always, hoped you enjoyed the chappie