Chapter 21

I'm Sorry, I Love You

Author’s POV

The steering wheel is rotated anti-clockwise, turning the car to the left as the traffic lights switches to amber and then green.

The female driver looks calm as she keeps a careful eye on the road. She notices that in contrast to her relaxed state, you are uncomfortably fiddling with your fingers in the passenger seat. Seeing your nervousness, she attempts to lighten the atmosphere by starting some small talk.

 “Your boyfriend seems to really care about you”

Her tone of voice sounded really casual with a friendly hint of tease, but that one word she mentioned had to feeling a little lost

*Boyfriend?*

Realising what she said, your head snaps up and both your hands are brought in front of you, defensively waving it away.

“A-aniyo! He’s…not my boyfriend”

The woman glances at you and smiles to herself as she returns her attention to the road.

“There’s no need to be so shy, I already saw everything in the infirmary”

Your eyes widens in shock, shades of pink coloured in your cheeks in embarrassment.

“Neh?!”

“You’re so lucky you have a boyfriend like him…just thinking back to how he desperately came barging in with you in his arms, makes me feel so jealous of you both. That kid, he made it look like the whole world was ending…when something happened to you”

Having already given up on denying the whole boyfriend-girlfriend relationship between you and Kai, you silently sit in the passenger seat.

“aigoo…you two look so cu~te together”

You completely zoned out as her words continue to sink deeper and deeper into your mind.

*…he…was…really that worried about me?*

“Oh. We’re here now”

The car is smoothly reversed into the parking space and with a light push of the buttons, the seatbelts unbuckled. You lightly held onto the seatbelt, allowing it to slowly withdraw itself.

A few buzzes could be heard from the school nurse’s phone.

You watched as she read through her messages, noticing how her brows kept furrowing with each one.

“Seonsaeng-nim, you don’t have to accompany me. I’ll be fine on my own”

The school nurse finally looked away from her phone screen

“Ani…it’s too dangerous for you to walk around on your own with that ankle”

“It’s not that bad. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine…really”

You watch as she bites onto her bottom lip, contemplating whether this would be ok or not.

“Arraso…but if anything happens, call me”

She held out a small business card which you quickly accepted before stepping out of the car.

“Take care. Be careful on your way home”

“Neh, kamsahamnida”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Sitting in the waiting area, you stretch out your legs and stared down at the tensor bandage that’s protectively wrapped around your ankle.

“It appears that you have torn a ligament in your ankle, there is no sign of fracture so don’t worry it’s nothing serious. It should only take a few weeks for the swelling to die down. Apply some ice three or four times daily to help decrease the swelling and pain. I’ll prescribe you some painkillers that should ease the pain, make sure that you only take it four times a day.”

 “Yoo Hyeyi-sshi”

 

~~~~~~~~Meanwhile in the same hospital~~~~~~~~

The private room door slides open as a tall blonde figure steps out.

Following him is a stunning woman. She had a youthful look to her but the added touch of delicacy in her gentle eyes, outlined with very fine wrinkles, gave away her age.

Despite this, there is no denying that she is an extremely beautiful woman.

Upon her exit, she carefully shuts the door as quietly as possible. Even with such simple action, her elegance still manages to shine through.

Looking up at the younger male, her lips curve up into a small comforting smile before she walks ahead, leading him into the open seating area.

With soft small steps, the woman makes her way over to the far end of the seating area. Smoothing out her dress under her, she sits in an upright posture and looks over the city view from the large windows. The latter takes his seat opposite her.

No words are spoken for another few seconds and the silence finally breaks as a simple word of Chinese escapes the male’s lips.

“Ma~”

Not looking away from the window, the woman responds back (in Chinese) with a soft gentle voice.

“…I’m planning on taking your father back to China”

This catches the younger’s attention who looks at her, surprised whilst his mother continues to look into the distance.

“…his heart condition isn’t getting any better, it will be better to have him treated there…” her eyes finally meets her son’s “…YiFan, I’m sorry but…we’re gonna have to leave the business here in your hands, that way your father would feel more at ease”

Kris lightly nods in response.

“Ma, don’t worry about the business, I got it…just take care of ba”

Hearing his words, she smiles at him with pride.

“I already sorted everything out. We’ll be leaving for China tomorrow”

Although this was to be expected, the suddenness of the news still shocked him. His expression had gone unnoticed by Mrs Wu who looks up in the direction of the room they came out of.

 “I should go and check up on your father now”

Slowly standing up, she walks away with the same slow, light steps.

A feet or two away, she calmly turns back around.

“YiFan…it’s good to work hard but please don’t overexert yourself”

Kris listened to her final words and nodded a smile at her. He stayed seated, watching his mother once again turn his back on him. As her figure left his sight, a heavy sigh leaves his lips.

Long, thin fingers ran through his neatly styled hair, ruffling it and giving it a rougher look. Wanting to let his mind run off elsewhere, he turns to the windows.

At that moment, his eyes were quick to find a certain someone who carefully exited the hospital building.

Laughing through his nose, the stress that built up in his body seems to have been swept away by her sudden appearance…again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A slight pain would start throbbing in that stupid ankle of yours with every step you took.

You were walking unsteadily, with the majority of your body weight leaning towards the left, in attempt to take pressure off your injured right ankle.

*I should probably be calling for support*

Support…somehow the scene in the infirmary came straight into your mind. That moment when you had no idea that hurt your ankle, the moment you fell forward…the moment his strong sturdy arms caught you.

*OUUU~CH!*

Thinking back to all of that, had you mindlessly taking a painful step.

A burning pain shot up your body as a deafening scream threatened burst out of your throat. Luckily you managed to hold it in but your mouth hung open. Your body froze as you did not dare to make another move.

Unknowingly, you body was strangely tilting to the right and you struggled to find strength to gain your balance.

Just before you fell, someone had rushed to your side, lightly grabbing onto your upper arms to gently bring you back up.

 “Seriously, this girl…you sure you’re not getting bullied?”

You looked up at the owner of that voice…Kris…*I’m not even shocked to find myself bumping into this guy anymore*

As much as you would have wanted to push yourself away from him, you knew better than anyone that you could not walk on your own right now. Besides, having bumped into him several times…you kinda feel more comfortable around him. Blinking up at this giant, you snapped yourself out of your thoughts.

“…I told you before, I’m not getting bullied. It was just an accident.”

Kris looked at you suspiciously.

“Stop looking at me like that, I’m telling the truth”

*Well she doesn’t seem to be lying…could she just be really clueless?*

Knowing that he is still suspecting something, you turned to him and returned his suspicions.

“What about you…why are you here?” your eyes playfully narrowed “is that dodgy sleeping position on the café table is finally taking its toll on you?”

Kris chuckled at your strange assumption “nope…” he suddenly sounded a lot more serious as he continued “…I was just…visiting…someone…”

Awkwardly mouthing an ‘oh’, you didn’t ask further as it seemed like quite a personal matter.

Still you truthfully spoke your concerns for him, on behalf of everyone else

“…but seriously, you should get some proper sleep on a comfortable bed instead of a café table.”

The towering figure, intensely stared down at you as he listened to yours…well everyone’s…worries.

“You should worry more about yourself, shouldn’t you be on crutches”

“Tch…it’s just that seem to be getting a lot of stress from work and the last thing we need is hearing that you’re in hospital for a bad back or worse…and for your information, my ankle’s not that serious…”

“Suure…how were you even planning to get home with your ankle like that?”

 “I dunno…by bus?”

A small sigh was heard from him “…come on, I’ll take you home”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A classy BMW M3 Coupé parks itself by the road outside your house.

The passenger seat opens with your left foot stepping out. As soon as your door opened, Kris hastily got out and quickly makes his way to you.

By the time he got there, you already managed to get out on your own. He held onto your arms to support your body and closed the door of the car behind you.

Feeling his gentle grip on you, you looked up and smile at him in thanks.

What you didn’t realise was…how sweet the scene looked…too sweet in the eyes of a certain individual.

When your eyes had finally left Kris, you turned…surprised…to see another male figure that stood waiting outside your house.

Kris too, was surprised to see this guy again

The male looked at Kris…his eyes travels down to Kris’ hold on you.

“Kai?”

 

A/N: Sorry i've not been updating often...but i might not be able to update for another short while...sorry :(