Really?

What did I ever do?

 

Sorry for taking so long! 

Standing at the doorway to Tao’s room Kris let his eyes fall onto Tao’s body. Laying on the bed sickly pale skin and eyes that were closed tightly as if they were never going to open again. The beeps from the machines and his small soft breaths were the only things that reminded Kris that Tao was still here. He held Tao’s hand tightly as if he was trying to keep him from running away. A small airy laugh left his mouth in disbelief, who would have thought this was going to ever happen. His life seemed to go on like something out of a movie. If it was, where was the happy ending? He stared at the wall, nothing seemed real it was like he was a nightmare that he couldn’t wake up from. Terrified of the thought that these warm hands could go cold any minute, any second and he wouldn’t be able to stop it. He was afraid to let go. Looking into the room Kyungsoo could see Kris staring at Tao. His hands tightly wrapped around the door knob, not realizing how long he’s been staring at Kris who hasn’t moved from his spot. Removing his hand from the doorknob he gave the door a quiet knock before entering the room alerting Kris of his presence. As Kris turned around Kyungsoo winced at his red bloodshot eyes. “Kris, come on. Go get changed and have some food” Kyungsoo quietly shut the door. “No…he might wake up” Kris stared at Tao’s face and tightened his hold he had around Tao’s hand. Slowly Kyungsoo patted Kris’s shoulder “I’ll call you if anything happens, I don’t want you fainting on me. You’ve been awake for 24 hours. Even if he does wake up-”

 

“He will wake up” Kris’s voice cracked as his voice boomed through the room, not used to speaking so loud. Kyungsoo grabbed him by his shoulders and forced Kris to look at him “Kris, just eat something. I’ll bring food so eat it. You can’t sit there all day, at least wash your face” Looking up he slowly got up, maybe splashing his face would be able to wake him up. “Grab me some coffee as well, I want to be up”

 

Kyungsoo quietly looked him as he stood up “Kris…I don’t want to be a downer but he won’t be up so soon, it may take weeks, months and even years for him to wake up…”  Kris’s face morphed into a sad smile. “I know…I just want to be there when he wakes up” he slowly walked into the connected bathroom and shut the door closed with a huge sigh. “What am I going to do? Tao, I can’t raise her by myself! I don’t want to!” he sobbed into the hands as he slid down towards the floor.

 

Outside Kyungsoo could hear the muffled cries. He headed towards the food court before he could step out the door his bumped into someone’s chest. “Woah there Soo! Careful” Kai gently wrapped his arms around his waist keeping his steady. “Kai! How did it go?” He leaned into the embrace. “Everything’s being investigated by the police at the moment, I stayed back to tell them our side of the story, where were you about to go?”

 

“Food court, I wanted to get Kris some food and coffee. Do you want anything?” “Why don’t you head home to sleep? You’ve had a rough day I’ll get his food” Kyungsoo looked unsure, he already sent Kris’s parents home telling them he would keep them updated if anything happened. “I don’t know Kai, I promised Kris’s parents I would keep them updated” Kai gave a quick peck to his head “don’t worry, just go home” “you sure?” Kyungsoo snuggled into his chest. “I’m sure” Looking up, Kyungsoo gave him a quick peck on his lips before heading home.

 

 20 minutes later Kai returned to the room and saw Kris sitting on the chair closest to the bed. “Hey, I grabbed some food and a bit of coffee. Why don’t we eat together on the couch” Kai made his way towards the seating area and placed the food down on the table, He sat down and tilted his head gesturing to the seat beside him. Kris looked reluctant to move before he hesitantly got up and sat beside him.

 

Kris started to eat slowly, keeping his eyes on Tao’s body. By the time, he finished he started to feel tired. He sank into the couch not noticing Kai slowly getting up and asking a nurse for a blanket. By the time the nurse came back Kris was already asleep. Kai cleaned up as quietly as he could before he fell asleep on one of the single couches.

 

~The next day~

 

Kris woke up with someone shaking his shoulder. Opening his eyes, he saw his mother and father standing in front him. Still disoriented from his sleep he left out a big yawn before assessing the scene in front of him. To his left, he saw Kai still sleeping. “why are you guys here so early?” Kris slowly blinked “Honey, its 3 in the afternoon, what do you mean early?” Kris’s mother quietly laughed at her sleep deprived son. Kris’s eyes widened to the news. “we were wondering if you wanted to go see your daughter. You haven’t seen her yet have you?” “No, I haven’t…” he looked towards Tao’s bed, not going unnoticed by his father “He, won’t be going anywhere. Don’t worry, besides he has a sleeping guard his” pointing to Kai who was currently still sleeping. “Ok, lets go…I’m nervous” Kris walked out of the room following his parents to the incubation center for premature babies. When he arrived, he looked around as saw other babies with tubes and machines which made them seem smaller then they were around them. Parents quietly watching their children. He jumped a bit when he felt his mother’s hand rest on his arms pulling him towards one of the babies in the back of the room. “There she is, she seems better than yesterday” Kris’s dad commented before sanitizing his hands and putting it through the small hole hoping she would grip onto his fingers, without any luck she didn’t grip his hand “Darn it, I was pretty sure she would’ve gripped my fingers today” Kris’s mother giggled behind her hand “Well, we know who she doesn’t like now” “You guys came here yesterday?” Kris looked at his parents “Yes we did, we wanted to see how she was doing since you were too concerned about Tao”

 

“Why don’t you try to let her grip your hand?” Kris did as the nurses instructed him to do before he stuck his fingers through the hole. His finger looked so gigantic next to his little girl, slowly she began to wrap her fingers around his finger making his father gasp behind him. “She’s gripping your finger!” Kris’s eyes widened before letting a smile grace his face “She has a strong grip” “She probably realized you’re her father haha, she doesn’t want to let you go. How stubborn of her” Kris laughed “she’s not stubborn, she determined to keep me here mother. It's two different things” He looked around the room and saw some parents holding their babies in their arms. As if knowing what Kris was thinking a nurse came up to him and told him he could hold her in a few weeks. But for now, it was safer for her to be in her incubator to make sure she’s growing properly before they can do anything. “Sir do you have a name for her yet?”

 

“Her mother’s currently in a coma…I wanted to wait for him to name her but if it's alright can we give her a temporary name?” Understanding the situation, the nurse nodded her head “Her name is Xin, my little ball of happiness” As if understanding her name Xin gave a small smile. “Oh, my god, she’s smiling dear!” Kris’s mother smiled and turned towards her son and husband.

 

Weeks went by with Kris constantly watching over Tao and visiting his daughter. His parents visited quite often taking many photos of their grand-daughter. Kai and Kyungsoo visited occasionally with gifts for Xin every time they visited.

 

The first-time Kris held his daughter in his arms, he was so excited. His daughter was so tiny in his arms, she was light as a feather. He was so scared to move when she was in his arms as if she was going to break. When he held her in his arms, he wished Tao could carry her. She had beautiful black hair, as the weeks went on they noticed her hair began to turn wavy, confused as to where she got it from they concluded it was probably from Tao’s side of the family. She didn’t look anything like him, she had small kitten lips and cute eye bags under her eyes. It was so puffy it looked like she had been crying all night, he laughed at how puffy her eyes would get if she did cry. She probably wouldn’t be able to see anything. Starting a routine of waking up and visiting his daughter 4 months had passed by and Xin already resided in her nursery room in their brand-new house which was across the street from his parent’s house. When she first arrived home, he had no clue how to take care of her. He begged his mother to stay with him reasoning how close she was. Laughing at his concerns she patted him on his back and told him to call her if anything went wrong. Xin didn’t cry at all, most of the times if she did it was because she was either hungry to she needed to change her diaper. “You’re just like your mother! Always wanting my attention. Want to go see mommy today?” Kris smiled at his daughter as she continued to drool on his chest. She giggled and blew a raspberry causing her to spit all over Kris’s face. “I guess that’s a yes, come on let’s get you ready”

 

When they arrived at the hospital room Kris saw Kyungsoo and Kai sitting next to the bed. “Hey, guys! Why are you guys here so earl- “he stopped midway through his sentence as he set his daughter’s carrier on the table. Tao stared right back at him. “Tao!?” Kris rushed over to his side. They all laughed at his shocked face. “Close your mouth, don’t want a fly to go in” “How?!” Tao rolled his eyes “I just woke up” Kris grabbed his face and gave him a kiss on his lips, how long has it been since he kissed him? He didn’t know but he missed it. “Kris, stop it! And show me our daughter!” He carefully took his daughter out of her carrier and set her into Tao’s arm. “So, when did he wake up” Kris directed his question to the couple sitting on the couch. “Last night a few hours after you left” Kris snapped his head in their direction “And you didn’t call to tell me that my husband woke up”

 

“He told us not to” Kyungsoo answered back “but!” oh be quiet Kris, you’re going to wake up my daughter” “Sorry…I’m just shocked!” Kris sat beside him as Tao looked down towards his daughter. “she’s gorgeous” He gave her a small peck on her forehead. “She really looks like you” Kris smiled “That’s why she so cute” Tao giggled and kept kissing his baby girl’s face. Kris pouted. Before he could say anything his parents walked into the room. “OH, MY GOD, TAO’S AWAKE!” Kris’s father yelled and turned around to face his wife. Before she could answer Xin’s, cries boomed through the room. Tao glared at Kris’s father before trying to get her to calm down. “You really are you fathers son Kris. Both so loud” Everyone in the room laughed except for Kris and his father. “Hey that’s not nice” Kris pouted. “Yes, not nice at all” Kris’s father mirrored his son's face. Kris’s mom raised an eyebrow. Oh really?” “Really?” Kris and his father said at the same time making everyone laugh at their expense.

 

 


 

 

Please comment and subscribe. Thank you. More comments mean fast updates ^^ motivation