2008

The Evolution of Nyongtory

We took a flight to Nagoya in early February for the Lunar New Year and announced a new concert tour. I had recently broken up with my high school sweetheart and my thoughts were all over the place. Of course I was still a little heart broken, but I was a teenage boy too. The women in Nagoya were beautiful, I thought. Jiyong was already clawing at me, practically. I had to responsible, he said. I needed restraint, he said. Tame the maknae. Cuddle with the maknae and make him feel loved so he won't go out with his raging hormones and do something stupid.

"..Seungriyah..?"

It was one in the morning, dark and quiet in our hotel room in Japan. I was in the room's bathroom, lights on and door closed, and quietly read through my audition script for a musical I was interested in. Jiyong had woken up and briskly knocked on the bathroom door.

"Are you having digestive problems or something?"

His voice was groggy and annoyed just outside the door, but I heard his concern as well.

"I'm fine, hyung. Go back to bed."

He groaned and kicked the door.

"Aish, you're obviously not ok. Do you even know what time it is?"

I smirked and stuck my tongue out at the bathroom door.

"I told you I'm fine."

For some reason, I didn't want to tell Jiyong about the musical. He'd find out by a manager or someone eventually, anyway. I think I took up the audition to get away from my own head. It'd be nice to sing and act as another character other than myself. There wouldn't be an ex-girlfriend or Jiyong to think about. I wanted to keep things separate.

"Come back to bed soon, ok?"

"Ye hyung."

I listened to his feet padding against the carpet back to his bed and I immediately went back to studying my script. I stood up for another hour and felt ready. I was confident that I would get the role. I needed the role. Japan felt pressuring and I couldn't wait to get back to Seoul.

--------

 

After three auditions, I was double-casted for the lead in Sonagi, the musical. When I wasn't practicing and rehearsing with the band for our Global Warning concerts, I was with the Sonagi cast. February and March was rehearsal after rehearsal. I kept up with the pace rather well.

Of course Jiyong was one of the first people to find out about my new little solo gig. Jiyong had singled me out at dance practice not too long after I found out I got the part. My manager had come inside the dance studio to go over some schedules with me and Jiyong overheard.

As soon as the manager left, I felt a tug at my wrists and Jiyong was pulling me out into the hallway. He turned me around, faced me, and crossed his arms.

"When were you going to tell me?"

I don't know why him being upset surprised me. It wasn't like it was anything new. I knew how to cope with his touches and his endearments to me at this point. I learned to brush him off. When the cameras were on, I had to act a little more submissive for the sake of the fans, but at times like this when we weren't followed by cameramen, I knew how to put up my front.

"Its not like its going to interfere with the tour or our Japanese promotions, hyung."

"Who says so?"

I shrugged.

"The managers and staff. We have it all scheduled. We're even going to be in Japan promoting right when the play tours in Japan, so I wouldn't even be moving from Korea to Japan without the others."

Jiyong uncrossed his arms and sighed. He kept his head down for a moment and stared at the floor.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

He pursed his lips and swallowed, tugging down at his beanie.

"Forget it."

He reached out and grabbed my hand.

"Let's just go back in. Congrats on getting the role, ok? Work hard."

At that point, Jiyong seemed mysterious to me, like he wasn't all there. I simply nodded and we went back to rehearsals.


A/N edit: BB's schedule from debut to 2008: http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/364134/bigbang-the-official-%EB%B9%85%EB%B1%85-thread-%E5%BD%A1-ver-3