2011

The Evolution of Nyongtory

     With solo promotions over, it was time for the group to comeback into the spotlight. Concepts of neon lights, dry arid land, and something bright and extravagant came to mind, and from that it was decided that we'd fly to Las Vegas. Seunghyun was the first to tease me about dancers and gamblers, while Jiyong would give me death glares on the plane and open his mouth a few times as if he wanted to lecture me. I pouted and told him that I'd behave.

     It was only the second week of February, yet it was already getting sunny and warm in America. I was still so used to only seeing outerwear and fur coats in Seoul, so of course my eyes wanted to take in more than just the western scenery. The female dancers in Vegas had amazing legs. All the young guys walking on the Strip owned the coolest sunglasses. Couples made out in public. It only got wilder at night.

     Our first night of recording for our music video went by too fast. The atmosphere was relaxed but my heart was racing. Being caught up in the moment, I tried speaking my broken English to the filming crew. Jiyong kept laughing and Youngbae would correct me, but it wasn't like I was going to give up trying. Seeing Jiyong laugh and smile was well worth the embarrassment.

     I flirted just a little bit with Chloe, the actress in our MV. We took pictures together and I tried to crack jokes with Daesung in order to loosen up everyone on set. I'd say the attempt was successful if it weren't for Jiyong's sudden change in mood once we were on Santa Monica beach, California to film our last scenes.

     We took a break to eat lunch and mess around on the beach, making foot prints on the shoreline with our sneakers and kicking sand around. The sun was just beginning to set, reflecting into the vast ocean that extended far outwards into the horizon. The winds of the coast were salty and relatively strong in force, but it felt good against my skin. Youngbae looked like he was searching for seashells. Daesung and Seunghyun kept jumping back and forth where the shoreline gradually pushed and pulled. I had just finished eating and was looking around for Jiyong when I finally found him way off in the distance where a flock of seagulls had gathered by his feet. He was staring pensively into the ocean and was about to finish a cigarette; he squashed it out into the sand when he saw me approaching.

"Hyung!"

     He smirked at me but the expression was flat.

"Seungri."

     I jogged up to him and some of the gulls flew away.

"What are you doing all the way out here? You ok?"

"I'm fine."

     Jiyong didn't even hesitate. He just dug his hands into his pockets and wouldn't look at me.

"Hyung. Just say something."

     Seunghyun and Daesung were chasing each other in the distance playing tag. The late afternoon sky was slowly dimming. After a moment of silence, Jiyong sighed and bit his lip.

"You led her on too much."

"Huh?"

"Chloe."

     He laughed dryly and rocked back and forth on his heels, opening his mouth to speak again.

"You don't have to collect the number of everyone you work with, Seungriyah."

     I immediately crossed my arms defensively.

"What? Hyung! She was nice."

     He shook his head and kicked a patch of seaweed near his feet.

"She was asking me about you earlier. I think she likes you."

"What? Really? How?"

"Because you flirted with her, dumb ! You led her on!"

     I rolled my eyes and kept my stance.

"Hyung! Its not like that...I mean, I can't help it for being sociable and trying to brighten up the mood."

     He whipped his head around to finally look at me. It was his judging stare mixed with a sort of curiosity. His eyebrows rose up.

"Is that it, maknae?"

     I pouted and reached an arm out to pat Jiyong's shoulder. He didn't swat me away, which gave me more confidence.

"That's what I do best, isn't it? I make it easier to work with others. That's what they love me for."

"Who's 'they?'" Jiyong teased, and he grabbed at my forearm that was extended out to him.

     I looked Jiyong in the eyes and he stared back. For just a moment, his brown eyes wavered and I saw that familiar sadness in his eyes again.

"Its what I'm loved for," I repeated, smiling smugly. Jiyong reached out his other hand to my same outstretched arm, cradling it with both arms now and he rubbed his cheek against my hand resting on his shoulder.

"Ok, fine," Jiyong admitted with a more animated smirk on his face,"you're loved."

"Don't be jealous, hyung."

     He shook his head again, chuckling and squeezing my arm. Youngbae was walking up to us in the distance, waving his arms. It was time to get back to work.

"I try not to be," said Jiyong under his breath, hugging my arm tighter before he let go to meet halfway with Youngbae.

 


A/N edit: making of tonight mv, beach scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVD-SsTmaCc

Now I feel bad for writing them as angsty, just look at how much fun they had ;_;