2005-2006

The Evolution of Nyongtory

I met my first girlfriend a little before I was accepted into YG, back before Il Hwa disbanded. We dated for three years, and I really did love her. I approached her after I found her in a crowd at school. She glistened and sparkled in the audience as I danced on our school gymnasium's stage with my dance team. She was lovely, she was what I wanted, she loved me even when I wasn't perfect.

That being said, I couldn't spend much time with her once I became a trainee. I was too tired, too busy, but we texted and talked and ate lunch together at school and that was enough for us. She was patient with me when I couldn't visit her. I did my best to keep my relationships private once I was around the hyungs, but sometimes I made slip-ups.

Jiyong had a girlfriend too, though he was equally as private about his relationships. I guess that was at least one thing we had in common. It surprised me when he showed me a photo of her on his phone during one of our album meetings.

"That's J," he whispered.

I didn't really know what to say, so I showed him a photo of my own high school sweetheart. He looked incredulous.

"Oh ! Baby maknae has a girlfriend?" He covered his knuckles over his mouth and cackled. "So what do you two do, push each other on the swing set?"

I immediately regretted my actions. He kept snickering during the meeting. By the time the meeting was over, we had a date set for our debut and a new piece of information about the maknae to with. I wanted to slump into the office chair in the meeting room, but I could only sit up straight as I was being judged.

Jiyong had a particular smile plastered on his face when he would look at me or tease me. I noticed that smile that day. I hadn't really noticed it before because I had grown accustomed to only focusing on his crooked teeth.

Across the meeting table, Jiyong kept his eyes on me as he leaned in towards Youngbae sitting next to him to whisper something.

"Maknae is cute."

Youngbae laughed lightly and his eyes became flipped-down crescents.

"Did you know he has a girlfriend?"

Youngbae looked at me, then back at Jiyong.

"Really? But he's our maknae, right?"

"Exactly!"

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

Somewhere along those following weeks, he'd start asking me about high school and my girlfriend. I wouldn't say much, but he smiled, nonetheless.

In front of the cameras that documented us, he'd say things like "maknae isn't just hers~" and it eventually developed into "maknae is ours~" by him and Youngbae.

2006 came, we debuted in August and started getting busier and I got more claustrophobic as we were all squished closer together in recording booths, photoshoot break rooms, and the managers' cars.

From then on, it only got harder to try breaking myself off of him. I still didn't like him. I still flinched when he tried to pet me.

And then, out of no where, in the recording booth in front of the cameras that followed us everywhere, he used a sing-song voice to announce into the microphone "maknae is mine."


A/N edit: Seungri's old girlfriend:

 

tumblr_lfwdphpuk01qbywmz.jpg

GD's old girlfiend:

"Maknae is mine!" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzq9JENewlA