Three.

The Night and the Sun

 

I was laying on my bed. I felt like I didn't belong here. Gary hadn't even left me a single note to welcome me. All the people I had met so far were very nice and welcoming but it just didn't feel right. I got up and sat on the side of the bed. As expected, the room was decorated beautifully. Everything was light coloured. The bed was huge and princess like with beautifully falling white curtains around it. I even had my own balcony. And a private bathroom with a bathtub. I stood up and walked to the balcony. I looked down to the garden and saw old man cutting the bushes I didn't know the name of. He must be Gavin I thought to myself. He was carefully shaping the bushes so they would all be perfectly symmetric. Why is everything so perfect here? It all screams perfection and I was the only not perfect thing in here. Like a garden full of roses, with one weed in the middle. I kept watching the man I guessed to be Roses husband while he was working. Not like I had anything better to do anyway. After a while, much younger man went over to him and they talked. I was too far to hear what about, not that I cared even. I moved my attention to the younger man. He must be Brandon then? He was rather short, around my height maybe. He had dark curly hair that covered his ears, it looked like a helmet sort of. His face was handsome though. And his skin was nicely tanned. You could see he worked outside in the sun. I kept watching the two of them till.. They noticed me. They waved their hands as a greeting. And I felt really ashamed. It's not very nice of me to just stare at people however I please. I waved back at them and hurried back into my room.
 
I spent the day doing nothing. Didn't even unpack my luggage. At exactly seven o'clock Abbey knocked on my door and yelled through it that dinner was ready. I followed her to a huge room that had big square shaped dinner table in the middle. It had five chairs on both sides, but only one plate was put on the table. "Am I eating alone?" I asked Abbey. She nodded."Why?" I asked. "Because your family members aren't at home." She replied. "But where are you guys eating?" I kept asking. "We have our own dining room behind the kitchen." She answered patiently. Does it make sense? I thought to myself. I had to eat alone when there was so much people around the house, just because they treated me as higher rank person than they are. I felt like crying as I sat down. "You don't wanna eat alone do you?" Another girl at the door asked. I didn't notice she was there until she spoke. I nodded. She took two plates out of the cabinet on the wall and placed them on the opposite side of where I was sitting. "I'm Ashley by the way." She said as she sat down in front of me. "Abbey you too. Sit down." She said to her sister. Abbey did as she was told. "Thank you so much."  I said, and I really meant it from the bottom of my heart. I already felt like I didn't belong here, and thought of eating alone made it even worse. 
 
We didn't talk a lot while eating, but the little bit we did, I could've sworn Ashley was the older one. She acted much more mature than Abbey, who was two years older than Ashley. Hell, even I felt like an adult compared to Abbie, who was four years older than me. Regardless, I really liked them both. And I was really grateful for them. "If you want, we can eat with you when your family is not around." Ashley said as she was about to leave. "I would really like that." I replied with a smile. "It's a deal then!" Abbie yelled as she walked out of the door after Ashley. I was about to go back to my room but instead I decided to take a walk in the garden.
 
It was already dark outside. I walked around the garden and tried to identify the flowers I saw. That didn't go all that well. I could only name two out of ehm, too many, I had lost count. I'll ask the gardeners next time I run into them, hopefully in a nicer manner than last time. I kept walking, enjoying the scent of the flowers and the peaceful atmosphere.
 
Where the garden ended, a wall of big trees came up. I also saw a little lake, It was pretty, and the water was crystal clear. I looked back at where I had came from, and I could only see the roof of the high house. There was no way you could see this far unless you were standing on the roof. I looked around to make sure no one was around and of course there was no one to be seen. Silly me, the others must be getting ready to sleep already. I started removing my clothes and kept looking around, making sure no one would see me. When I was done undressing I walked into the water. It was chilly, but it felt good at the same time. I stayed in the water till my body started to feel numb. When the coldness was going over my limit, I got up from the water and started covering my wet body with my clothes. I didn't hurry even though my body started shaking. After I was all dressed, I looked around once more and started walking back the way I had came from. I had only walked couple of metres and I heard a sound of a branch breaking somewhere behind me. I quickly turned around and saw someone standing by the woods. He was looking straight at me, but he didn't say anything. It freaked me out. "Who are you?" I asked, trying not to let my voice shake. No reply. As I was looking at him, it hit me. His facial features were definitely Asian. There was no Asian people working at the mansion as far as I knew. I took a step back. I was really getting scared now. He just stood still, still looking at me. I had enough. I turned around and ran as fast I could towards the house.