Twenty-two.

The Night and the Sun

Where am I? Why is it so dark? I tried to look around but I couldn't see. It was pitch black everywhere. I started walking carefully, waiting for my eyes to get used to the darkness. I kept touching the  cold wall on my left side, using it to guide me forward. "Anyone there?" I shouted, but only heard the echo of my own voice in return. What is this place? Why is there no light in here? It was so cold. "Such a bad luck you have." I heard familiar voice echoing from the walls. "Hello?" I shouted and stopped moving. I waited for a while but got no response. "You met our kind.." The voice continued. "Jung Min? Is that you?" I tried to shout but my throat was so dry, the voice came out as a faint whisper. "..got attacked by our kind.." What is he talking about? "Hey? This isn't very funny, please?" I pleaded. "..happy life." He's not making any sense. "Come on, this really is not fun. It's scary." I whispered and started walking again, hoping to find him. The hallways seemed to be endless, I kept walking but there was nothing new. The wall kept going to the same direction, and I was getting tired. I couldn't hear his voice anymore, and it worried me. Did he leave me here all by myself? And there was strange pain in my neck, and it kept getting worse. "Did you really leave me behind?" I sighed helplessly. Suddenly, I felt like someone was watching me. I stopped and looked around but saw no one. I started to panic. What if I never get out of here? I would never see my mother again. Or my friends. I closed my eyes, trying to prevent tears from falling down on my cheeks. "It's all right, it will be all right. Just keep moving and you're bound to find the way out." I mumbled to encourage myself. I opened my eyes and started moving again. The pain on my neck was getting worse by second and it was hard to endure. Suddenly I heard footsteps behind me and I quickly looked over my shoulder. I saw someone walking the opposite direction. I looked forward, and back again. Where did he come from? We should have crossed paths if he's there now, right? "Hey?" I shouted after him. You know how to get out of here? Please?" He stopped but he didn't turn around. "Excuse me? Can you help me please?" I begged. " Slowly, he turned around. "Is it you? Kim Kyu Jong?" His bangs were covering half of his face, and it was so dark, it was very hard to be sure who it was. "Do you know the way out of here?" I tried again. He started moving towards me, and when he got close enough for my eyes to see his facial features, I recognized him. I was indeed right, it was Kyu Jong. I felt relieved. "Thank god it's you. I was starting to get scared." That was a lie. I was scared. Very scared, but I wanted to put up a brave front. A smirk started forming on his face. I tilted my head to the side and was wondering what's up with him. Did he find my situation that funny? Did he think me being helpless like this was fun to watch? About two metres away he stopped and waved his hand, as if he was telling me to go to him. I didn't think much of it, I just stepped in front of him and when I did, he brushed his bangs away from his face, and I saw his eyes. I stepped back. "What the hell?" His eyes were blood red. The smirk on his face grew wider and he his lower lip, as if he was staring at a delicious meal. I kept backing away, and it seemed to amuse him. "What are you?" I whispered with trembling voice. The smirk disappeared from his face. He jumped, and he landed right in front of me. My eyes widened. "What the.." He grabbed my hand and brought it in front of his face. He opened his mouth a little bit, enough for me to see his fangs. He moved my finger closer to touch his fan like teeth, he was letting me explore them. He was intensively staring into my eyes, waiting for a reaction. I moved my face closer to his, and took closer look at his teeth. "Are they.. Real?" I asked, and got no response. He stood still, he wasn't even breathing. I moved my finger on the tooth, trying to figure out if it was real or some lame Halloween joke, and I cut myself. "Ouch.." I pulled me hand away and looked at the bleeding finger. I raised my eyes to meet his, and he started leaning towards me. I took a step back. "You're scaring me." I said, turned around and ran. But somehow he was right in front of me again. He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me close. He opened his mouth wide, and aimed at my neck. I screamed and tried to struggle myself free but he was too strong. As his fang got closer to my neck, the pain got worse and worse. I closed my eyes and tried to endure it, but it was hard. I was expecting it to get worse but suddenly, I didn't feel his hands on my shoulders anymore, and the pain didn't get better, or worse. I slowly opened my eyes, and saw Jung Mins face above mine. I wasn't in the dark place anymore. "What.. Where am I?" I mumbled and rubbed my neck. It felt like it was on fire. I felt something wet and warm as I was rubbing it and stopped. I brought my hand in front of my face to see what I had put my hand into, and saw blood.