Seventeen.

The Night and the Sun

 

The school grounds were filled with people. So much people. I was nervous. I've heard that school life here and school life in Korea are very different so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Two things I knew at least. 1. No school uniforms, which I find little weird, but I'm glad. I never really liked wearing it. 2. Schooldays are much shorter. Which also, is good thing. I like studying but I also do love my free time. I reached my classroom. Everyone seemed to be inside already, except for the teacher. "Hey Emily!" Ethan yelled from back of the classroom. Ah he's in my class? That's great. "Come sit here, there's an empty seat." He said and pointed at the seat in front of him. I nodded with a smile on my face and walked to the seat he had pointed out. "Yo Ethan, you know her?" Someone asked him and pointed at me. "I'm Jack by the way, Ethans buddy." He introduced himself. "Hi, my name is Emily." I bowed out of a habit. "There's ehh.. No need to bow? Not like I'm royalty or anything." He said confused. I giggled. "It's what we do in Korea." I said and offered him my hand. "Around here it's a handshake right?" He slapped his forehead and shook my hand. "Right. I should've guessed. How do you know Ethan?" Ethan replied instead of me. "Through Jason." Jacks lips made an O shape. "But she's not with Jason no." Ethan looked at me to confirm his words. "Right. Not with him." I confirmed. "Good. He's such a gigolo." Jack said with a wink. "Everyone back to their seats, the lesson is starting!" The teacher announced while walking to her table. The lesson started and I was focusing all my attention to it till a girl next to me poked me and handed me a piece of paper. It was neatly folded. 
 
Hang out after school?
Jack
 
I looked at his way to find him already looking at me. I nodded and pointed at the note. He smiled and nodded.
 
 
"Do you think it's safe to go back yet?" Hyung Jun asked Jung Min. "Should be.. Or maybe we should wait a bit more? They haven't seen each other for 6 months." He replied and his friend agreed. "So what should we do then?" Jung Min raised his shoulders. "I don't know. At least it's not sunny today." Hyung Jun nodded. "Yup, lucky us. She could've picked worse day to visit. Let's take a stroll around the town?" He asked and caused Jung Min to sigh. "Again? Can't you stay still at all?" Hyung Jun rolled his eyes and said. "Nop, that's boring." That being said, they started walking around, which they had been doing whole day already.
 
 
We agreed to meet at the gates after school. I was heading there, but suddenly I felt something hit me in the back. I almost fell on my knees, it hurt damn much. I looked back and saw group of girls further away. They were staring at me with a nasty look on their faces. "What the.." I mumbled when I noticed a tennis ball on the ground. I picked it up and looked at the girls again. "!" One of them yelled. "What?" I was confused. What exactly had I done to them? I turned around and walked towards the gate. Better ignore them and get out of here.
 
Jack was already waiting for me. I didn't see Ethan around though. "Hey, Ethan not here yet?" He raised his brows. "He's not coming. He wasn't even supposed to, disappointed?" I shook my head. "Ah no, I just assumed he was. Where are we going?" A smile formed on his face. "Anywhere you want to." I placed a finger on my chin and thought about it for a bit. "I'm not sure.. Coffee maybe?" I asked. "Sounds like a plan. I'll show you my favourite coffee shop then." He grabbed my hand and started leading me.
 
We walked around the town and passed a lot of cute stores. People greeted us with smile on their faces. This town really has a lot of friendly people it seems. Jack was holding my hand the whole time and to be honest, I didn't mind at all. We probably looked like we were on a date, but in fact, he was probably doing so since there was whole a lot of people everywhere, so we wouldn't get separated. He walked a little bit ahead of me, so I had chance to observe him. He had manly muscular body, I felt so tiny next to him. His greyish green eyes had very confident look in them. He was very handsome. Maybe.. I wouldn't mind if this actually was a date. I blushed at the thought.
 
 
"Isn't that Emily? Is she on a date?" Hyung Jun asked his friend and pointed at the direction he saw Emily and some guy, walking hand in hand. Jung Min looked at the direction Hyung Jun was pointing at. "Let's go say hi!" Hyung Jun said happily and pulled Jung Min with him.
 
"Hey Emily!" Hyung Jun yelled cheerfully. I let go of Jacks hand and waved at them. "Hey there! What's up?" Jack instantly grabbed my hand again and pulled me closer to him. "I'm sorry. We're bothering you on your date." Jung Min said. "Oh it's not like that. We're not on a date." I replied. Jack gave a sour look to me. We aren't, right? "He seems to disagree." Jung Min stated. Jack gave him even nastier look. I looked at him, feeling very confused. "What's wrong?" I asked. He had been perfectly nice up to this point, so I didn't understand this sudden change. "Is one of these freakshows your boyfriend?" He asked snottily. "Eh?" I reacted. He looked at the guys. "Can't you see you're bothering us?" I couldn't believe my ears. "What the hell are you saying?" I looked at him in disbelief. "Are you siding with these freaks instead of me? Don't you know no one in this town wants anything to do with them? They're weird." He sounded rather pissed. Even though I just met him, I never thought he would be such an . I pulled my hand away from his. "Well for your information, that's incorrect. They're my friends." I said, sounding annoyed. "You've got to be kidding me. Let's go." He grabbed my hand and started pulling me away with him. "Let go!" I yelled and tried to struggle my hand free from his, but as expected it was useless. I was much too weak compared to him. Suddenly a hand grabbed the hand which was holding mine and I got released. "Ouch!" Jack moaned loudly. "Don't you dare touch her again." I looked up and to my surprise, I saw very angry looking Jung Min. He was still holding Jacks wrist and the look on Jacks face made it clear that he was in pain. "Clear?" Jung Min confirmed before letting him go. Jack took few steps back and looked at me. I could see pure hate in his eyes. "You're going to pay for this." He said and ran away. Hyung Jun was about to go after him but I stopped him. "It's okay, let him go. I'm sorry for what he said. And thank you." Hyung Jun smirked and pinched my cheek. "You have a habit of getting in trouble ya know?" I sighed. "And you've made it a habit to save me."