Twenty-four.

The Night and the Sun

 

He led me up the stairs to the rooftop. We sat down on the edge, letting our legs fall over. He placed his black hoodie on my shoulders. "Don't catch cold okay?" He worried. I looked at him, wondering what was going through his mind right now. Our eyes met for a split second before he turned his head away. "It's pretty isn't it?" He asked and pointed at the sunset. It was pretty. The sky was coloured in multiple shades of orange and the remaining piece of sun, that hadn't disappeared yet, looked like burning lava. We quietly watched the sun set, till the sun had completely disappeared from our sight and stars started twinkling on the night sky. "You're not going to tell me anything, are you?" I broke the silence. "No." He simply responded. "Why?" I insisted. "I can't. Neither do i want to." He paused and turned his head to face me. "I hope you'll understand and won't ask anymore." He looked straight into my eyes while talking and it felt like he could see through me. "Don't you think I have the right to know?" I asked quietly. "You do. But I can not tell you. And I'm sorry for that, I really am." He seemed sincere. "I hope you won't tell a soul about what you saw today." He gave me a demanding look. The pictures of what happened earlier today swarmed my mind, shivers went through my body. "You know, even if I did, who on earth would believe me?" I asked. "True. but I want to trust you, so I rather have you willingly keep our secret than being  forced to keep it." He said. I nodded. "Can you.. At least tell me why.. Or how, he was able to disable my body so? When he looked at me. I couldn't move or speak." I couldn't find the right words to describe the feeling I had back then. It had been truly terrifying. He shook his head. "I can't tell you." He refused and I sighed. "I should go home now, they're probably worried." I mumbled. "I called them, you're expected to go back tomorrow."  A voice behind me answered. I turned around quickly to the direction of the voice, and saw Hyung Jun. I stared at him without words. Was he like that too? Panic started to form inside of me.
 
She looked at Hyung Jun with eyes full of fear. He didn't move closer, he didn't want to scare her once again. Jung Min gently touched her shoulder. "It's okay, he's still the same person you knew before." He whispered. The fear in her eyes slowly turned into anger. "Are you serious?" Are you saying he's still the same person?" She shook her head and stood up. "What is the reason that's keeping your lips sealed? It'd be much easier if you would just explain it all. But as of now, I don't know what to think. One minute I feel like nothing has changed, then I get reminded that it wasn't a dream but reality, and I get angry and scared. You owe me an explanation, don't you think?" Her voice kept getting louder as she spoke. "I do want to tell you, I really do. I want to explain everything, every detail. But I can't. It's not my decision alone, so I can't. Not without my friends acceptance." Hyung Jun said. Jung Min looked at him, surprised. He had never thought Hyung Jun would think that way. It had never crossed his mind that he'd really want to confess everything to a human, to take such a risk. She was left speechless. Being loyal to your friends she could understand, but she didn't want to accept it, she didn't want to be shut out. She needed to know. She slightly nodded and started walking towards the stairs. The boys looked at each other and Hyung Jun  motioned Jung Min to follow her. "Go. She seemed more calm and comfortable with you." Jung Min nodded and went after her.
 
He caught up to her in no time. He grabbed her hand and prevented her from running away. "Let me go!" She yelled. "You're hurting me." Jung Min loosened his grip but didn't let go. "Please calm down." He pleaded. "Or what? You're going to turn me into a dinner? Going to the life out of me?" She screamed. "Monster." She spit of the last word. Jung Min was hurt. She had every right to be angry, but those words still pierced his non beating heart. He gritted his teeth and pulled her closer to him. "Please. Calm down." He repeated. But she didn't listen. She kept struggling against his hand which was holding her. "You're not leaving me a choice here." He said and picked her up on his arms and started running. Not running as a human would, but how a vampire would. He ran out of the door, to the forest. And she was screaming in horror.
 
Kyu Jong had joined Hyung Jun at the rooftop and they watched Jung Min dash out of the house with their eyes wide open. "What the hell is he doing? All this talk about not telling her about us and then he does that? Hyung Jun was shocked. Kyu Jong could not form words because of the shock, he just watched Jung Min carry Emily in the distance and rolled his eyes. "Aish! He's definitely going to scare her to death that way!" Hyung Jun shouted and kicked Jung Mins hoodie Emily had left behind. It flew off the roof. Then it hit him. "Wait. This can be a good thing right?" His face brightened. Kyu Jong looked at him, waiting for him to continue cause from that, he understood nothing. "Think about it! The more she knows or sees, we'll be forced to tell her the whole truth cause it just can not be covered anymore. Get it?" Kyu Jong raised his brows. "You really want to tell her then? Even though it's highly possible that her reaction  won't be positive?" Hyung Jun nodded several times. "If she didn't run away after you almost killed her, would she after finding out that we want to coexist with humans, without harming them?" Kyu lowered his gaze to the ground. "She did try to run away, remember?" He said with bitter tone. Hyung Jun ruffled Kyu Jongs hair roughly. "But in the end she didn't. And she hung out with Jung Min, normally, she didn't seem scared really. There's still hope." He said with a smile on his face. Kyu Jong didn't understand why the younger one wanted to tell her so eagerly, but he had a feeling there was no real reason. He just wanted a friend, outside the group. He never had one before, someone he could be completely honest with.
 
 
"Hey Hyun Joong, wait." Young Saeng said and stopped moving. They were walking through a big city so they had to move like normal human beings would. "That woman there, doesn't Jung Min have a picture of her in his room?" Hyun Joong looked at the direction Young Saeng was pointing at, and he couldn't believe his eyes. "How on earth is that possible?" He whispered in disbelief. Young Saeng gave him a questioning look. "She should've died long ago." He explained. The woman turned her gaze at the two of them. "She can hear us you know." Young Saeng stated. Hyun Joong nodded. "Let's go." He said and started walking away.