Twenty-five.

The Night and the Sun

 

"Stop please.. Please!" I begged. He was running faster than cars. He didn't show any intentions to stop, or even slow down. "What are you doing? Where are you taking me? Stop!" I screamed as loud as I could but he didn't bother to give me any response. I closed my eyes tightly, hoping this would be just a bad dream. "I'll wake up soon, this can't be real." I kept mumbling as he ran like a maniac. I was too afraid to open my eyes, even feeling how fast we were moving, made me feel sick, not to mention seeing the scenery change so quick, I was sure I wouldn't be able to hold it in. After a while, which felt like forever, he finally stopped, without any warning. "Are you okay?" I heard his voice right by my ear. I opened one eye and peeked around, and as it looked safe, I opened the remaining eye and looked at his calm face. "Are you out of your mind? We could've died!" I yelled with shaky voice. He chuckled. "What's so funny?" I groaned as I slowly slid down from his arms, him still holding my waist. "Careful now, we don't want you falling again, do we?" He said as I was struggling against his strong grip. "Let go. I'm fine." I bluntly said. "You sure?" The worried expression was back on his face. I nodded and he slowly removed his hands, still standing close to me, probably worried that my legs would give in again. I took few steps away from him and looked around. My jaw dropped. "It's beautiful.." I whispered. I kept looking around, turning my head like an owl would. It was truly beautiful, mesmerizing. There was a small river, in the middle of the woods. Water flowers floating in the slowly moving river, fireflies flying over them. The moon lit the small area completely, and the night sky reflecting from the water was breathtaking. For a while, I stood there, staring at the scenery. "There was such a place close by..?" It was rhetoric question but he answered anyway. "It's not exactly close by but yes. There's more to it, want to see?" I hesitatingly nodded. He started leading me along the river, and I could hear water running loudly at the direction we were heading to. The river took turn to left and joined a bigger one. I was looking for a way to cross it, but couldn't see one. "Let me." He said and picked me up on his arms and jumped over the river. He let me back on my feet once we landed on the other side, and I immediately turned around to look at the spot I had been standing at few seconds ago. "How..?" He shook his head. Of course, he wouldn't tell me. I decided to let it go and walked towards the loud sound of running water and the more I walked, the louder it got. And finally, I saw a waterfall. A huge waterfall falling down in front of me. It was so wild and free, complete opposite of the peaceful scenery I had been admiring just a moment ago yet it was just as beautiful, if not even more. I stared at it with my eyes wide open.
 
Jung Min stood behind her quietly. She was so absorbed by the view that she seemed to forget how scared she had been. He smiled while watching her blink her eyes repeatedly and rubbing them, as if she couldn't believe what she saw. "It's so pretty." She whispered. His smile grew wider, he was glad she relaxed a bit. "Do you want to go down there?" He asked. She looked around for a way down but there was none. She tilted her head and looked at Jung Min. "You're not saying we should jump down are you?" He laughed and nodded. "No way." She rejected firmly. Jung Min smirked and stepped closer to her. "You sure?" She took a step back and looked down where the waterfall landed. "Very sure. That's very long fall." Jung Min reached out his hand for her to grab, she looked at it and hesitated. "Trust me?" He asked with a soft tone. She looked at him hand, his eyes, and down the waterfall a few times before hesitatingly taking his hand. With one quick movement he pulled her close, wrapped his arms around her waist and whispered. "Hold on tight." And he jumped. She let out a small scream and closed her eyes, squishing his neck so tightly, if he was a human, he wouldn't be able to breathe. They landed softly, but she still didn't dare to open her eyes, or let go of his neck. "Open your eyes." He whispered in her ear. She shook her head. "It's okay, I promise." He tried to reassure her. She opened her eyes and looked around. "Oh my.." She sighed and looked up. "Oh my!" She repeated loudly.
 
Just what is he, really. I realized I was squeezing his neck with all my strength and let go. "Sorry!" He smiled like it was nothing. "I don't understand." I shook my head in disbelief. "Hmm?" He reacted. "You keep telling me you cannot explain, yet you keep showing me all sorts of.. Things?" His face turned serious. "I probably shouldn't." He simply stated. "I kind of.." I wasn't sure how to word it. "Want to know? Can't you give me a chance?" I asked and looked for some sort of reaction from him, but his face was expressionless, impossible to read. "I still can't." He replied after a while and his voice tone made it clear that it was the final answer, no room for negotiations. I had no choice but to give up. I walked over to a fallen tree and sat down on it, enjoying the view. He followed and sat down beside me. "Do you know a lot of these places? Like our garden, and this." He nodded. "Places like this are very relaxing. This one and the lake at your garden are my favourites though. There's something about water, it's very soothing." I nodded and we sat there quietly for a while, until he broke the silence. "Will you come back to the house with me?" He asked. I thought about it for a bit, and the idea scared me. "Honestly, I rather not." I whispered while bouncing my legs in the air. "I won't tell anyone anything, I promise. Just don't make me return to that house."
 
Jung Min leaned his head on his palm, and looked at her. Deciding wether or not trust her. "Okay, I believe you. But are you sure you won't come? I'm sure Hyung Jun would be more than happy to see you." He said. "I don't think I'm ready to see him. At least not yet, if I ever am." She gazed into the water while speaking. Jung Min nodded his head slowly. "I understand but.." He saw the sad look in her eyes and decided not to push it any further. "At least, promise to call me if there's anything?" He touched her neck lightly. "I promise." She whispered in return.
 
 
Jung Min went back to the house after seeing her home. "Where is she?" Hyung Jun shot up as soon as he saw him. "I took her home." He replied plainly. "Are you sure that's wise?" Kyu Jong joined the conversation. "What was I supposed to do? Bring her here against her will?" Jung Min sighed. "Hyungs are going to be angry." Hyung Jun said under his breath. "I'll take care of it. "Jung Min said. "And I'll also keep an eye on her.. I'll be her shadow until we can be sure she's really trustworthy. I don't wanna take the risk any more than you guys do." He continued. Kyu Jong threw away the idea of visiting Aoi in Japan, he was more needed here now. "I'll help." He offered. "I was the one to cause this trouble anyway." Jung Min and Hyung Jun both shook their heads. "We cannot risk her seeing you, it'd freak her out." Hyung Jun said. "I second that." Jung Min said. "I'll be in my room then. She's asleep now so I'll just go back to her in the morning." He said and disappeared upstairs.
 
Jung Min laid down on his bed and closed his eyes. "Just what was I thinking?" He mumbled and cursed his lack of judgement in his mind. He didn't even know if she was worth his trust. Was it really necessary for her to see all that, he wondered. Now there was no turning back, he knew it. They would have to tell her the truth at some point, she saw too much already. And he could only blame himself for it. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at a picture standing on his nightstand. It was a picture of a girl and a horse. The girl was hand feeding the horse and smiling brightly. The girl was adorable with her lips curved into happy smile, round face, rosy cheeks and single lid eyes. Hwa Young, his first and only love. He kept the picture of her on ever so visible spot to remind him of the past. To remind him what could happen if he was too trusting.