Fifteen.

The Night and the Sun

 

Dawn was already breaking. The girls had been running all night and decided to look for a shelter for the day. They didn't voluntarily want to get exposed to the sunlight. After a bit they found a small abandoned house that'd fit for the purpose perfectly. They didn't talk much, everyone just did their own things. Jiyoung got lost in her thoughts. Seeing Jung Min again made her beyond happy, but having to leave right away made her miserable. Ever since meeting him, she liked him. During the two months they had stayed in the same village, she grew to like him more and more each day. And the two years they were apart, didn't change her feelings. Quite the opposite. Seeing him again made her yearn for him even more. She never had the courage to confess her feelings, and this time hadn't been any different. Coincidentally she had met him again, even though the chances to meet someone like that twice in her life, were small. She couldn't bring herself to confess. She knew very well Jung Min thought of her as a little sister, and a little sister only. Was there a way to change that? She really hoped there was.
 
 
I heard a knock on my door. "Come in." I said, wondering who it could be this early in the morning. Paige entered with a smile on her face. "Good morning." She said. I smiled back at her. She was already all dressed up and looking beautiful, as always. While I was still in my pyjamas, with a sleepy expression on my face. "I'll be leaving soon, just wanted to say goodbye. Luckily you weren't sleeping still." She said. I nodded and yawned. "Was really nice meeting you. Seriously. I was pretty afraid at first but seems like I was worried for nothing." I confessed, She laughed, "Well, Damian is waiting. I should go." She said and turned around, ready to leave. "Uhh Paige." I stopped her. "What about.. Your father?" I asked carefully.Not sure how I should address Gary. "He'll stay here, why?" She replied. "Ah, it's nothing. Was just curious. Have a safe trip back!" I said. "Good luck with school tomorrow. Hope you find lots of lovely friends! And if you get the chance, come visit me too." She said cheerfully. I nodded. "Bye." I whispered as she closed the door behind her.
 
Whole morning I spent mostly in my room. I wanted to avoid running into Gary at all costs. He was scary. If he'd openly be mean to me, or even overly nice, it'd be easier. But being ignored felt horrible. Why exactly is he letting me stay here if he wants nothing to do with me. It's not like I had expectations, nor did I hope for anything, but isn't it basic knowledge for humans to be at least somewhat nice? I mean, such a high educated man, shouldn't he have some manners? My mood went up and down. Mostly I felt angry though. Suddenly, Abbey stormed into my room. "Hey Emily! Let's go shopping? Ashley is too busy and I  don't wanna go alone. And since your school starts tomorrow you probably need to buy some things too?" She chirped. Honestly,  didn't need to buy anything but this was perfect escape route. I wouldn't need to hide in my room all day. "Okay, sure. I don't have anything planned anyway."
 
 
Abbey ran from store to store. She apparently got her paycheck today, so she wasn't holding back at all. After two hours and countless stores, we both were carrying lots of shopping bags. All hers if I may add. "Let's grab lunch?" She asked. I nodded. I was starving. I had skipped breakfast in order to avoid Gary. We found a cosy coffee shop which also had a huge sandwich selection. As we picked our stuff from the counter, a guy walked up to me. "You're the prettiest girl I have ever seen." He said bluntly. My jaw dropped. He held his chest dramatically. "I think I've fallen in love." He continued. I stared at him, not believing my ears. "Will you be my girl, princess?" He kept talking and I got more and more confused. "Ehh?" Was all that came out of my mouth. Abbey was giggling behind me. I looked at her, and back to the boy again. "Will you? Please?" He just wouldn't stop. "Ah Jason. Stop it. You're freaking her out, can't you see?" She said to the guy. "Oh Abbey! Didn't see you there." He looked at her for a split second and turned his eyes back to my blushing face. "Is this beauty your friend? Why don't you introduce us already?" He was talking to Abbey even though his eyes were still locked at me. "Okay! This is my friend Emily. And this sleezebag right here." She pointed at the guy. "Is Jason. Don't fall for his sweet talks. I would know, I used to date him back in high school." Abbey smirked, and the guy, Jason, pouted. "Aww come on! I'm not that bad. You're so mean. Anyway come sit with us!" Abbey took the invitation right away and he led us to a table. There was three other guys sitting around it already.
 
Jason introduced them to be his two best friends and his little brother. The little brother, Ethan, was same age as me. We'd be attending the same school too. The two others, Eric and Ian, were same age as Jason and Abbey, four years older than Ethan and I. We had good time chatting until we realized how late it was. John was going to pick us up in five minutes. Abbey and I stood up, thanked the guys for the company and started heading towards the door. Jason walked us there and when Abbey had walked out of the door, he stopped me and pulled me back, close to him. "I wasn't kidding you know. I hope we'll meet again soon." He whispered in my ear, released me and walked away. I stood there watching him walk back to his table. "That surprised me.." I mumbled and followed Abbey outside.