One.

The Night and the Sun

 

Oh so boring. Flight from Korea to England seemed to last forever. And I wasn't very fond of the idea of studying aboard in the first place. But my mother wanted me to. She wanted to send me over to my British father. She said it'd be a good experience, but as I saw it, she just wanted to send me away so she could have a nice little family with her new husband without any disturbance. She had raised me alone, as I was an "accident", a child that got started in the heat of the moment, when she spent the night with an British businessman. That night ruined her first marriage and she was left alone with me in her belly. Even her family turned their backs on her. She wasn't a bad mother, not at all, she never treated me badly, but sometimes I could see it in her eyes, the pain, the hard times she had to endure, when she looked at me. Her first husband was willing to forgive her if she had gotten an abortion, but she refused. She was only nineteen back then, only two years older than I am now. So I can sort of understand how hard it must've been. No way in hell would I be ready to raise a child alone at this age. For that reason, I had special respect for my mother, but there was no way I could accept her sending me to live with my father whom I have never even met. We've exchanged like ten emails in seventeen years. So he doesn't exactly feel like a father to me. More like a stranger. That's probably why I can't really bring myself to say the word "father" out loud. I just call him by his name. But no matter how much I complain, here I am, on a plane heading to England. Luckily I was fluent in English so that wouldn't be a problem. And from what I understood, my father, Gary Moore, was a very busy man. So I doubt I'm going to see him whole a lot, which of course, doesn't bother me at all. If he hasn't been around for the last seventeen years, I wouldn't need him now either. Of course he helped us a lot financially, but that didn't count if you ask me. From moms talks I understood that he was rather rich anyway, so throwing money at mom so she would take care of me, was probably the best solution for him too, instead of him having to take care of me himself. Who knows, maybe I have a lot of siblings all around the world huh?
 
"Ladies and gentlemen, as we start our descent, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure you seatbelt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stored underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins. Please turn off all electronic devices until we're safely parked at the gate, thank you."
 
I let out a big sigh. Almost there. On the other hand, I was happy to get out of the plane, but I wasn't happy about my destination. The moment my feet touch the ground here, I'll be Emily Moore. My Korean name is Moon Min Hyo, but as I'm half British, I was also given English name by mother. Actually, she'd often call me Emily instead of Min Hyo, but all my friends used my Korean name. Friends huh.. I'm gonna miss them so bad. I felt the plane landing and I closed my eyes, trying to convince myself that living in England wouldn't be so bad.
 
As I walked out of the airport dragging my luggage behind me, and yes, it was heavy, I tried to look around for a man that would look like the person in the picture Gary had sent me before. I couldn't see him. Great. He even leaves me at the airport alone like this? I dropped my bags on the ground and sat on them. I sat there for good ten minutes till I felt someone tapping my shoulder. I turned around ready to spit out all the cursing words I knew at this so called father but I found myself facing a young man instead. "Sorry for being late Miss Moore, hope you didn't wait for a long time." He said politely with British accent. My jaw dropped. I sat there staring at this young handsome man, probably looking like complete idiot. "Miss Moore? Are you all right? Perhaps you don't speak English?" He continued. "Ahm yes I do speak English, I'm sorry. You just surprised me. May I ask, who are you?" I finally got my speaking ability back. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you at all. My name is Damian Evans, I work for Mr Moore, your father. I'm here to pick you up." Great, that old man didn't even bother to pick me up, he just sent someone else. "Uhmm ok." I stood up and was about to grab my luggage but he was quicker. "Miss Moore, let me." He said. I raised my eyebrows. Just how rich Gary actually was? I had never been treated this way. "Ok fine, but stop calling me Miss Moore please? Just call me Emily." He looked at me like he didn't understand what I just said. "I'm afraid that's not appropriate, Miss Moore." I shook my head. "Ah whatever, let's just go." I said, sounding frustrated. He grabbed my luggage and I followed him to the car, empty handed.
 
The car drive to Garys house seemed to be a long one. We had been on the road for quite a while now and when I looked out of the window, all I saw was fields, and trees. Not one house, or living creature. Guess he lived.. Far far away from civilization. "Is it far away?" I asked Damian. "It's going to be another two hours Miss Moore. Maybe you would like to sleep a little? I'll wake you up when we reach there." There he goes again with the "Miss Moore". Honestly, it made me feel uncomfortable. I closed my eyes. Might as well sleep a little then.