Fifty One

On The Rooftop

“L.Joe,” Lani peered onto the roof, she stood on the rusty ladder leading up to the roof that doubled as a fire escape. She had a plastic bag hang from her arm filled with small snacks from the mart. She climbed to the top and gave L.Joe a small smile who was sitting in the corner. “Hey,” she greeted as she approached him.

L.Joe opened his arms and Lani took her place by his side, his arm fitting perfectly around her shoulders. “What are you doing up here?” she asked him once she was settled in the corner with him.

“I just needed time to think,” he quietly spoke.

“So that means you’re considering what Chunji and Cap said?” she asked him, slightly surprised that he was taking everything so well. L.Joe was normally the type to throw fits and do whatever his stubborn mind told him to do.

“Well don’t get me wrong, I love you and I love living here with you, but the guys are practically my family and I just got up and left without any warning… I feel kind of bad,” L.Joe explained. “I just don’t know what to do…” he continued, staring off into space, “they’re practically asking me to choose between them and you.”

“That’s not true,” Lani piped up, earning a confused stare from L.Joe. “Maybe we won’t be physically together, but we can always text and call and even visit each other,” Lani tried to get through to L.Joe. It was true that she would miss him incredibly, but she didn’t want to be the one holding him back from his dreams, sometimes sacrifices have to be made for loved ones.

“Are you sure…?” he asked her, her soft long hair.

Lani turned and smiled up at him, “of course I am, but this is your decision to make and none of us expect you to make it right now, so why don’t you take some time to think about it?”

L.Joe nodded in agreement and pulled Lani close; squeezing her as he buried his face in his hair. Lani wrapped her arm around his waist and gave him a loving hug before pulling away and opening up the bag.

“I brought some snacks, I bet you’re hungry,” Lani chuckled. She pulled out small packaged pastries and handed a few to him, followed by some crackers, and two small cartons of milk. “Strawberry or banana?” Lani asked as she held up the two.

“Um, strawberry,” he decided.

Lani handed it to him and the two began munching on their snacks.

“So…” L.Joe began, “did you have fun meeting Niel’s parents?” he asked trying to mask his obvious jealousy.

“I guess so,” Lani responded. “We just talked and stuff. And I tasted one of the café’s most delicious drinks,” she smiled, “Waeyo?”

 “I don’t know…” L.Joe said, “It’s just that you’ve never met my parents and we’ve been together for so long.”

“I’d love to meet your parents if I ever get the chance,” she stated, making L.Joe feel a lot better.

“Well I hope you’ll be able to soon… my dad’s always working and my mom’s not even in Korea…”

The two continued to eat their snacks before heading back down to the apartment where the other Teen Top boys were waiting for them.“I think we better get going,” Chunji announced, “thank you for letting us all stay here.”

“Anytime,” Lani smiled.

L.Joe and Lani walked with the others to the train station to see them off. Once they all said their goodbyes and got on the train L.Joe and Lani headed back home to open the mart for the evening. Few people came in and out, including L.Joe’s little admirer, but other than that the evening was pretty much uneventful.

Lani let out a yawn as she sat at the cash register with one hand holding her head up. L.Joe suggested they close up and get ready for bed since no more people would be coming by. Lani did as told and locked up the front door; her and L.Joe walked hand in hand back up to the apartment. Lani ran into the bathroom as soon as they walked through the door, wanting to shower first and just get in bed.

By time L.Joe had finished showering and brushing his teeth, Lani was already fast asleep. He crawled into bed next to her and pulled the blanket over the both of them. He softly kissed her forehead and stared down at her peaceful face. He let out a sigh and plopped down on his pillow. So many things were going through his mind; he wanted to so badly stay by Lani’s side and live a happy life with the girl he loved, but at the same time he didn’t want to throw away all his hard work or his five best friends. He closed his eyes in hope that sleep would take him away, but unfortunately his mind was too hectic to even get anywhere close to sleep. Before he knew it, he found himself watching old Teen Top music videos and clips from variety shows; he couldn’t help but smile at all the wonderful memories he had made with his 5 closest friends.

The bed shifted as Lani rolled in her sleep; L.Joe froze, hoping he hadn’t woke her up with the bright shining of his phone screen. She turned towards him and cuddled into his side, still very much asleep. L.Joe stared at her sleeping figure and felt heartbroken at the thought of not being able to sleep next to her every night, see her face every morning, or spend his day with her. He sighed before closing his eyes and wrapping his arms around Lani, holding her close.

L.Joe woke up bright and early, happy that he got at least a few hours of sleep. Lani woke up not to long after him and gave him a warm smile.

“Good morning,” she chanted.

“I’ve made my decision.” 

 


*knock knock* you guys still out there? :( this chapter was pretty uneventful but comments are still appreciated D: