Thirty

On The Rooftop

The six members of Teen Top made their way onto the small stage and took a seat at the table, each adjusting their mics to their liking. Their company had called a press conference at L.Joe’s request and all their fans were attending. The place was crawling with reporters trying to get some juicy details to put in their next story. Questions were being shot from every direction as everyone was eager to hear from L.Joe himself. The staff tried to quiet the audience down, but no one would stop with their questions. Everyone had something to say and it all revolved around Lani.

Finally it became quiet when L.Joe stood up and put the mic to his mouth.

“If you don’t accept Lani as an idol and show her respect, I can’t do the same for you,” L.Joe announced to the crowd of fans sitting eagerly.

Everyone started making comments, throwing more questions at him. L.Joe placed the mic on the table and strode off the stage. Everyone stared at him not knowing what to say. Chunji shot L.Joe a glance before he was completely out of sight and L.Joe motioned his head towards the exit, indicating he wanted Chunji to follow.

“I’m sorry for that, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask any of the other members,” Chunji said as he himself got up and left.

He walked out the back door and jumped into the van where L.Joe was waiting. Before Chunji could ask, L.Joe handed him his phone. Chunji looked down at it and read the text he received from Lani.

[I’m sorry that I have to do this like this, but I don’t have much time. I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused. But know that I’m doing this for you. Please be well and take care of yourself. This is goodbye. I’m sorry, I love you Byunghun.]

Chunji looked up at L.Joe who had a broken expression on his face.

“Does this mean…” Chunji began to ask.

L.Joe just nodded in response as he clenched his fist and his jaw tightened. He was about to speak when the door burst open to reveal a very anger manager. He opened his mouth to yell at L.Joe but stopped as Chunji shook his head.

“It’s not a good time, please, just take us to her apartment,” Chunji pleaded.

L.Joe looked at him warily and Chunji gave him a reassuring smile. Their manager didn’t have to be asked twice before he got in the van and drove off. When they arrived in front of Lani’s apartment building, the door was surrounded by a group of anti fans.

“Go around to the back,” L.Joe stated in a harsh, unsteady tone.

-

A knock at the door startled Lani. Who could that be? she wondered to herself. She turned the door knob and opened the door to see Chunji who greeted her with a smile.

“Oppa!” Lani exclaimed as she flung her arms around him.

L.Joe cleared his throat and Lani looked up to see him leaning against the wall.

“L.Joe…” Lani breathed out as she released Chunji.

“Can we come in?” Chunji asked with a slight smile.

Lani stepped aside and opened the door wide enough for the two to enter. L.Joe followed Chunji into the apartment and sat at the table. Lani joined them and all fell silent. L.Joe kept his eyes down as he fiddled with his fingers. Chunji looked around quietly, his gaze shifting from one thing to another. His eyes met with Lani and he motioned his head towards L.Joe, telling her to initiate the conversation. Lani shook her head in a ‘no’ manner, but Chunji just nodded. Lani knew what she had to do and decided to start the conversation. She cleared in hope to get L.Joe’s attention, but to her dismay, she failed. Lani cleared once more but L.Joe continued to stare down at his hands.

“L.Joe….” she finally said.

L.Joe refused to look at her, so she continued.

“L.Joe,” she repeated, “I’m- ”

“You’re what?” L.Joe suddenly shot back. “You’re sorry? Is that what you were going to say? Sorry for what Lani? Breaking my heart? Or for doing it through a text message?” 

“I’m sorry, please… forgive me,” Lani kept her eyes down, making sure not to make contact with L.Joe.

L.Joe suddenly got up, pushing the chair back, and slammed his hands on the table. Both Lani and Chunji were shocked by his actions.

“Forgive you? Do you know what it feels like to get your heart ripped out and stomped on? Especially through this thing!” L.Joe threw his phone on the table and it slid smoothly across, stopping not too far from Lani.

“L.Joe, calm down,” Chunji said grabbed L.Joe’s wrist.

“Don’t tell me what to do!” L.Joe growled shaking Chunji’s hand off of him.

“We can’t do this anymore L.Joe, it’s hurting the fans,” Lani said in a slightly shaking voice.

“Is that the only reason? Because of the fans?” L.Joe asked his voice not as harsh anymore.

“ Not only the fans, but you too. I can tell that it’s hurting you, but also me… I know I sound selfish, but I can’t handle it anymore. All the anti fans attacking me whenever they have the chance, all the comments they make… I can’t do this anymore.”

L.Joe walked over to Lani and pulled her up from her chair. He wrapped his arms around her and held her in a tight embrace.

“Please, never say goodbye again. I love you Lani and I will do whatever it takes to protect you. Just please, promise you won’t leave,” L.Joe said, his voice no louder than a whisper.

Lani looked up and met eyes with L.Joe.

“I promise,” she whispered back as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

L.Joe leaned down and lightly pressed his lips against Lani’s, kissing her gently.

“Ahem…” Chunji said clearing his throat.

Lani and L.Joe turned to look at him forgetting that he was there.

“We gotta get back before our manager kills us…” Chunji said to L.Joe.

L.Joe looked back at Lani, “I’ll see you later.” L.Joe gave Lani a peck on her forehead, “I love you,” he said before turning and walking out the door with Chunji.


OTL sorry im so late D: