Forty

On The Rooftop

 

Lani awoke bright and early. A smile spread across her face when she realized today was her special day, she was finally 18, an official adult. Before getting out of her bed, she checked her phone. She had missed calls and messages. She checked all her texts and replied to each one saying thank for the birthday wishes. Lani then checked her voice mail to hear L.Joe’s voice.

“Hey baby, it’s me. I know things have been a bit awkward but I just wanted to say happy birthday. I’m sorry I’m not there to celebrate with you, but I promise we’ll celebrate when I get back. Have a wonderful day, I love you.”

Lani smiled as she dialed L.Joe’s number to thank him, but before she could press the call button, her phone started ringing. She recognized the long distance number and answered the call.

“Hello? Mom?” she answered.

“Happy birthday sweetie,” her mother responded.

“Mom! I haven’t talked to you in so long! How have you been? How’s dad? And grandma?” Lani bombarded her mom with question after question until her mom finally cut her off. She updated Lani with what has been going on and ensured her that all is well. They spoke for over an hour, but because of the time difference, her mom had to go. They ended the conversation with ‘I love you’s and Lani finally rolled out of bed. She got dressed in nothing special and sunk down on the couch. She was finally able to reply to L.Joe’s message, but he couldn’t talk for long because of a schedule. After she was done thanking everyone Lani made herself a small breakfast and ate alone while watching TV.

-

Lani was playing a game on her phone, sitting on a park bench.

"Boo!" someone popped up behind her, making her jump from her spot.

"Omo!" Lani  exclaimed. She spun around in a swift moment to face none other than Woohyun.

"Happy birthday!" he chanted as he held out a lollipop for her.

She thanked him as she took it from his hand and popped it into .

"Sorry I'm late," he apologized.

"It's okay, I wasn't waiting for too long," Lani accepted his apology. They had arranged to meet right after lunch to celebrate her birthday.

"Come on, let's go!"

Woohyun led the way as Lani followed carefully observing their surroundings. Woohyun refused to tell her where they were going, but that didn't stop her from trying to guess. The streets and buildings weren't familiar to Lani and her curiosity continued to rise. They stopped at a small café on their way and Woohyun treated her to bubble tea. She happily slurped up her drink as the walk continued. Finally they e last corner and Lani's eyes widened.

"Omo..."

Woohyun looked down at her as a wide smile spread across his face. She stared at the building as her eyes traveled down the name on the front.

"Woolim Entertainment... Does that mean... I'm going to meet... Infinite?" she could hardly speak as excitement took over.

Woohyun only smiled at her. "Come on, let's go in," he said before walking up to the door.

Lani was giddy as ever; she was practically jumping in her spot.

"Are you okay?" Woohyun asked with a slightly cocky smile.

Lani eagerly nodded. "Do I look alright?"

"You look adorable," Woohyun ruffled Lani's hair earning a death glare from her.

"Yah!" she combed her fingers through her hair to put it back in place.

Woohyun chuckled and opened the door. "Ladies first."

Lani stepped through the door and looked around. "Wah, I can't believe I'm in Infinite's building."

She followed closely behind Woohyun as he took her through the building. Finally they arrived in front of a closed door.

Lani took a deep breath, "stay calm, stay calm," she spoke to herself. She looked up to Woohyun and he gave her an encouraging nod. She stretched out her hand and grabbed the door knob; slowly she turned it and pushed the door open. Suddenly, music started playing to her favourite song –Be mine –and she saw the boys of Infinite start dancing. Woohyun guided her into the room and put her to sit on a chair before joining his other members. She watched in awe as they performed the song just for her. Her fangirl heart could hardly handle it as she screamed, cheered, and sang along. The song came to an end and she enthusiastically clapped her hands. Before she could say anything, the boys started advancing towards her while singing Happy Birthday. Sungyeol stood in the middle of the boys, holding a berry cheesecake, topped with whip cream, with 18 candles placed neatly on the top. As ‘Happy Birthday’ came to its close, Sungyeol knelt down in front of Lani and held the cake up towards her.

“Happy birthday!” the seven exclaimed in unison.

“Make a wish,” Sungyeol said softly as he stared up at her.

Lani’s cheeks flushed bright red and it took her a moment to collect her thoughts. Finally, she made a wish and blew out the candles.

“WOO!” Infinite cheered as they danced around.

“Come on! Let’s eat!” Sungjong chimed.

Lani cut the cake into 8 slices, dividing it evenly between the members and herself. They all sat casually on the floor, talking and laughing. Lani couldn’t believe she was within the presence of Infinite, she couldn’t ask for a better birthday present. As Lani was lost in her thoughts, she felt something cold and fluffy on her cheek. She snapped back to reality to see a giggling Sungyeol next to her with cream on his finger.

“Yah!” she playfully exclaimed. She swiped her finger on the edge of the cake, picking up as much cream as she could before reaching over to Sungyeol. With his fast reflexes, he swiftly got up from where he was sitting and ran across the room. He looked for a spot to take shelter and settled on ducking behind Myungsoo. Before Lani could stop herself, her hand reached out in front of her and the next thing she knew the cream was all over Myungsoo’s face and hair. Lani let out a loud gasp and everyone stood wide eyed staring at Myungsoo and Lani. She was frozen in her spot as she waited for Myungsoo to react. She expected him to be angry, annoyed, or upset, but instead, he burst into a sudden laughter. They all stared at him, confusion written all over their faces, but he wouldn’t stop laughing.

“Um, Myungsoo oppa?” Lani unsurely said. “Are you okay? I’m sorry…” she nervously apologized.

“I’m fine,” Myungsoo was able to respond in between chuckles, “I’m better than okay.” Finally he was able to calm down from his laughter and his eyes returned to its icy cold emptiness. He looked directly at Lani before a smirk flashed across his face. Lani’s eyes grew big and before she could react, cake was smothered on the side of her face. A cake war broke out and everyone ran around the room throwing cake at each other while trying to defend themselves. Laughter could be heard from down the hall, as the group continued to celebrate Lani’s birthday. Hours passed without them even realizing, they were all having so much fun. The sun had already set and it was getting late.

Lani looked at the clock on the wall to see it was nearing 11pm. “Omo, I should get going,” she said.

“I’ll walk you home,” Woohyun grabbed her coat and purse and handed it to her.

“I’ll come too!” Sungyeol exclaimed. Soon, all the members but Sunggyu had agreed to walk her home.

“Yah,” Sunggyu started, “all of you can’t go, someone needs to stay back and help me clean up.”

“Omo!” Lani looked around the room to see the huge mess they made. “I’m so sorry! I should help clean before leaving!”

“Aniyo,” Sunggyu smiled. “I could never ask you to do that, especially on your birthday. Sungjong and Howon, you guys are staying to help me.”

“Waeyo,” they both groaned. “You’re no fun hyung,” Sungjong whined. 

 


 

i hope you guys enjoyed this Infinite filled chapter :DDD

any suggestions for how Lani and L.Joe should celebrate her birthday? :)