Four

On The Rooftop

 

The next day they continued practice without L.Joe and the maknaes began to question.

“Hyung, where’s L.Joe?” asked Changjo with curiosity.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen him since yesterday,” added Ricky.

“Don’t worry about him,” replied CAP with Chunji watching from the side.

“He probably spent the night with some girl, right hyung?” Niel smirked and lightly hit CAP’s arm.

CAP just looked at him and walked away knowing that that would be the last thing L.Joe would be doing. CAP left the building and was surprised to come across Lani. She was sitting on the steps, hugging her knees to her body and staring up at the sky.

“Lani?” CAP asked confused as he made his way to her.

She turned her head towards him, smiled, and then got up.

“Hey CAP,” she said warmly.

“Why are you here? Is something wrong?”

“I’m here to see L.Joe,” she announced looking down at her feet.

“L.Joe’s not here… the last time I saw him was at your apartment.”

-

Lani returned home thinking of where L.Joe could have gone, when suddenly it hit her.

“The roof!” she exclaimed in realization.

She grabbed her jacket which she had thrown on the couch and ran out the door. She made her way to the company building and took the elevator to the top floor. Lani hesitated at the bottom of the stairs that led to the roof. She took a deep breath and took the first step.

Lani opened the door to the roof as a rush of icy air blew in sending a chill down her spine. She stepped forward letting the wind blow her hair in every direction. The cold air filled as she took a deep breath and began looking for L.Joe. As Lani walked around the old rooftop, she spotted his orange hair curled up in a ball in the corner. She approached him and sat down next to him, not saying a word. They sat in momentary silence until L.Joe began to speak.

“Can you forgive me?” he asked with horse voice, clearly from crying.

“It's not your fault," Lani replied, staring off into the distance.

"Yes it is."

"But you didn't know. I should have told you. It's my fault."

"Lani," L.Joe said and turned to face her. His eyes were red with dark bags making it evident that he didn't sleep last night. "Don't blame yourself. You've been through so much already, don't make it worse for yourself. Promise me that you won't consider it your fault?"

Lani replied with a slight nod and stared up at L.Joe. He stared back looking deep into her eyes. Their eyes were locked on each other until Lani moved closer. She inched her face towards his and he continued staring. Her breathing got heavier as she got closer. L.Joe looked at her intently. Lani took a breath and closed the space between them, her soft lips meeting with his. L.Joe pulled away, abruptly ending the kiss. Lani’s cheeks flushed red as rejection flowed over her. She got up and was about to walk away when L.Joe grabbed her wrist and stood up.

“Lani, I’m sorry,” said L.Joe apologetically. He turned her around holding both her arms firmly. “I was just …surprised,” he explained.

L.Joe tried to pull Lani closer to him, but she refused to move. He slightly bent down and tried to make eye contact with her. In response, she turned around and headed for the door.

"Lani!" L.Joe called out chasing after her. 
Lani had already left the building by time L.Joe got down to the main floor. He didn't know where she went and searching would do no good. He stood out in the cold just staring into the distance.

"L.Joe?" an unfamiliar voice said.

L.Joe turned to see a short girl, with short brown hair and glasses staring up at him, she looked about his age.

"You're L.Joe right?" she spoke once again staring up at him innocently.

"Oh... yeah," he replied unable to think straight. "Do you need something?" 

"No, no. I'm just a fan."

"Oh... so you want an autograph or something?"

"Nope," she said and L.Joe looked at her in confusion, "just looking at you is enough."

L.Joe found the girl to be rather odd and ignored her intense stare. He said goodbye to her and headed back into the building.


Sorry for the short chapter D: but oh la la can this mysterious girl be foreshadowing something? :O