Twenty Eight

On The Rooftop

 

Lani was sitting on her couch watching re-runs of sitcoms on TV when there was a hasty knock at her door. She cautiously approached the door with no idea of who it could be since she hadn’t been expecting anyone. As soon as she peeked out the door, L.Joe looked at her with big, unreadable eyes. Before saying anything, L.Joe flung his arms around Lani and cradled her in his chest. Lani was slightly surprised, but returned the hug and wrapped her arms around his waist. Once he released her, they shuffled into the apartment, his arm never leaving her waist.

"I saw everything on the news… and all the anti-fans in front of your apartment... I'm sorry I couldn't make it earlier," L.Joe let out a rush of words and continuously apologized to Lani.

"It's okay, I'm perfectly fine. But what about you? Have things been okay for you?" Lani questioned.

"I'm fine, it's only the managers and CEO who have really been on my case, surprisingly, the fans haven't been attacking me. But enough about me, are you sure you're okay?" he asked once again.

Lani gave him a reassuring smile and nodded her head. But L.Joe's apologizes and questions kept coming. Word after word, he babbled on and on. Suddenly Lani closed the space between them and pressed her lips to his. He responded quickly and kissed her back. Lani carefully pulled back and whispered, "shut up." L.Joe just stared at her with an innocent face. Lani gave him a charming smile and ruffled his hair.

"Come, sit," Lani motioned as she moved towards the couch. L.Joe obediently did as told and took a seat next to Lani. "Stop worrying about everything," Lani said coolly, masking her true feelings behind her smile. She was terrified, ashamed, and worried, but she couldn't let L.Joe know that. She didn't want to tell him of the incident outside of her apartment just yet, mostly because she didn't want L.Joe to worry anymore and also because she was embarrassed. 

L.Joe was able to calm down and stop worrying so much. He and Lani spent their time together just talking and joking as they usually would. Time flew by and L.Joe noted that it was getting dark outside. 

"Omo! My clothes!" Lani exclaimed jolting up from her seat.

L.Joe did not understand what was happening and looked at her for answers. She explained that she had put the clothes out on her small balcony to dry and needed to pick them up before it got too chilly out. She rushed to the door and L.Joe followed. He watched with an amused smile as Lani rushed to pluck all the clothes from the rack. Once all the clothes were piled in her arms, she walked back into the apartment, L.Joe closing the door behind her. He followed her to her room where she dumped all the clothes on the bed before she began to fold them. 

"Need some help?" L.Joe asked as he watched her do her chores.

"That would be great, thanks," Lani replied.

L.Joe started folding the garments into a neat pile on the bed. His hand grabbed the next piece of clothing and he held it up to get a better look. He knew for sure that this sweater didn't belong to Lani and all sorts of questions started going through his mind.

"Um, this doesn't look like your usual clothing," L.Joe stated holding the sweater up to her.

"Oh," Lani hesitated, "that's not mine."

L.Joe raised an eyebrow before asking, "then whose exactly is it?"

"It's Changjo's," she admitted.

"Changjo?"

Lani nodded examining his expression carefully.

"That damn maknae," L.Joe breathed out angrily. "So what are you doing with it?"

"It's not what you think! He lent it to me as a disguise," she reinsured.

"A disguise?"

Lani explained that she had gone to the company building earlier and needed a way to get past the anti fans. She left out a few details, like the attack and the secret pathway. L.Joe seemed to understand the situation and didn't have much to say about it.

"Wait," he suddenly realized, "I thought you and Changjo weren't friends."

"We weren't," Lani honestly stated, "but because of the circumstances, me made up."

"And what about Ricky? Are you two friends again?"

"Not exactly, but tomorrow we have a date!" Lani cheerfully told him.

L.Joe scoffed, "You mean a play date?"

"Ricky's not that young!" Lani protested.

"He's practically 5," L.Joe joked.

"If you didn't forget, he's a year younger than me," Lani said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Yeah yeah, whatever," L.Joe brushed it off. "He still acts like an immature brat."

"You're one to talk," Lani teased.

The two continued to jokingly bicker as Lani finished her household chores. Once the apartment was sparkling clean, Lani kicked L.Joe out so she could finally get a good night’s sleep and be well rested for her day with Ricky. As Lani lay in her bed, she thought of all the events that occurred from morning to midnight.