Twenty Six

On The Rooftop

 

Lani spent the day on the top floor gym; working out always helped her relieve stress. As she was changing out of her sweaty clothes that she’d been wearing for the past hour, her phone rang. It was her manager. She had expected a call from him soon enough since her second scandal broke out. He didn’t scold her as she thought he would, but instead he let her know that the CEO of TOP Media wanted to meet with her. She’d rather be scolded ten times by her manager than meet with the CEO. She was scared to what was to come. Lani walked down the hall until she was faced with two giant doors. Warily, she lifted her shaking fist to the door and hesitantly gave a gentle knock.

“Come in,” she heard the stern voice from the other side.

Lani grabbed the door knob and swallowed hard before turning it and opening the door. She quietly slipped in and stared ast her feet as she approached his desk.

“Andy sunbaenim, you asked to see me?” she timidly asked.

“Yes, please, sit,” Andy replied motioning to the chair facing him.

Lani took a seat on the chair and placed her bag on the floor next to her.

“I presume you know what this is about?” Andy began staring intently at her.

Lani dared lifting her head and made brief eye contact with him before slightly nodding.

“Good, then we can get straight to the point. Many media companies are asking for an official statement regarding the matter and are getting very impatient since we have already taken so long to respond. I did not want to give a response without first talking to you, which is why I’ve called you here.”

Lani replied with only a nod, not knowing how to respond.

“I’m not going to ask you if it’s true or not. It’s your personal life and I respect that. I would just like to know if you want me to make a statement or not.”

“What will happen if we don’t make a statement?” Lani asked with genuine curiosity.

“Most will assume the worst. Some may believe that the whole scandal was just made up. Ultimately, everyone will have their own opinion no matter what we say. That’s why I leave it up to you,” Andy concluded.

Lani felt much better knowing that Andy didn’t hate her or anything and let her make her own decisions. “I think I’d rather not make a statement,” Lani said meeting eyes with him.

Andy nodded in agreement and dismissed her. She got out of her chair and gave him a 90 degree bow before scurrying out the door. Lani walked down the hall to be met with Changjo sitting in the corner. He explained that he had come to check on her at the gym and he found out that she had gone to see the CEO; he became worried and waited for her.

"So what'd  he say?" Changjo asked with rising curiosity as the two made their way down the elevator.

"Nothing much... He just asked me if I wanted to make a statement," she casually replied.

"And you said...?" Changjo questioned digging for more information.

"I said I didn't want to. What would I possibly say?"

The two arrived at the bottom floor and walked towards the exit. Lani suddenly halted when she noticed there were still anti fans surrounding the door. The group had decreased to only half, but Lani was terrified to face them again. Changjo saw the worry in her face and lead her the opposite way. He took her towards the back of the building and down a long hall. They approached an exit and he turned to look at her. Her big eyes stared back at him and watched as he ped his sweater. He handed it to her and motioned for her to put it on. She did as she was told and soon the big, warm sweater was hanging loosely over her body. 

"Wait right here," Changjo stated before running off. He returned moments later holding a hat and a pair of sunglasses. He put the hat on her head and the sunglasses over her eyes. Most of her face was covered and Changjo smiled in content. Lani pulled out a small mirror from her bag and looked at herself.

"What do you think?" Changjo gave her a cheesy smile.

"I look like a teenage boy who's trying too hard to fit in..." Lani responded with a small laugh.

Changjo also chuckled before turning towards the exit. "Follow me," he told her.

She did as told and followed closely behind him. They reached the perimeter of the companies property and were faced with a tall wooden fence. Lani was slightly confused, but before she could ask, Changjo easily pushed aside one of the boards of the fence that only had one screw holding it at the top. 

"Come on," Changjo motioned for Lani to go through the space in the fence. Once her slim body slipped through, she was in what seemed to be a backyard, one that hadn't been taken care of for months for that matter. Changjo quickly entered the yard and stood next to her.

"Where are we? Isn't this someone's yard? We shouldn't be here," Lani began worrying as she questioned Changjo.

"It's okay, that house has been empty for months, almost a year," he clarified.

"You mean like abandoned?"

Changjo nodded before a small smile appeared on his face. "Wanna hear a secret?" he mischievously asked.

Lani looked up at him with curious eyes, indicating to him to continue.

"It's haunted."

Lani's eyes widen and hung open with shock. "Haunted...? You mean with ghosts and stuff...?"

Changjo nodded with a straight face.

"Then why are we just standing around?! Let's get out of here! We need to leave, Changjo!"

Suddenly Changjo doubled over with laughter.

"What's so funny...?" Lani warily asked him.

"You should've seen your face!" he said in between rounds of laughter. 

"So... You were lying...?" 

"Of course! I don't believe in ghost! But I do have a secret."

"Is it an actual secret this time?" Lani asked with a bored expression.

Instead of answering her question, Changjo took Lani’s small hand in his and dragged her away.