Forty Four

On The Rooftop

"As you know, you are supposed to renew your contract today."

Lani sat in TOP Media's office, facing Andy, the CEO. She was called in this morning to speak with him about important matters that needed to be taken care of right away.

"But I am sorry to tell you that, we're letting you go," Andy's voice was soft and mellow, but still filled with authority. "A lot has happened within the past few months and once it finally started to settle down, you and L.Joe were seen in public which caused a negative reaction. I have decided that it is best for both you and the company to terminate the contract completely. We no longer have the money to continue to promote your music. Originally, we invested a lot into making your debut as good as it could be, meaning we spent more money than we were making at the time. The money you made after debut was supposed to compensate for everything spent during your debut process, but because of certain events, that was impossible. Also, there is one more thing. You did indeed violate the contract by dating another member of this company and normally there would be a price to pay for that, but I believe that you've suffered enough and I'm going to let it go."

Lani sat in her chair with her head hung low. She was trying to absorb everything he was saying and trying even harder not to burst into tears. She felt her whole world crumbling apart, her biggest hope and dream being shattered. No words would leave so she nodded her head in understanding. She felt empty and hollow, as if someone had robbed her of her soul. 

"The company will be paying for this month’s rent, so please don't worry about that."

Once again Lani nodded as her only response. Andy stood up from his seat and Lani followed. She used all her power to compose herself and lift her head.

"It's truly been a pleasure working with you," Andy stretched out his hand to her.

Lani firmly gripped his outreached hand, "thank you so much for everything," she sincerely said. She gave him a small bow before releasing his hand. 

Andy gave her one last smile as she turned around and a silent tear fell down her cheek. Lani walked through the halls and down the elevator. Everything was a blur; she didn’t notice anyone or anything, not even Niel awkwardly waving at her. All she could focus on was holding back her sobs.

Niel followed Lani out the building and to the back. He stayed hidden behind walls and trees until Lani entered the run down shed. He waited a few moments and then approached the shed. With a tug, Niel opened the door and took a step in. Lani lifted her head from her hands and quickly wiped away the tears from her eyes.

"Oh... I didn't know you were in here..." Niel bluffed as he stared at his feet.

Lani let out a chuckle, "it seems that every time we meet I'm crying..."

"Huh, I guess so."

"So what brings you here?" Lani asked, her voice still slightly shaky.

"Um, that doesn't matter. But since you're here, I have something for you," Niel avoided her question and took a seat next to her on the couch.

Lani shifted uncomfortably to face him. "For me? What is it?"

"While in Japan I overheard the other members talking about your birthday, so I thought I'd buy you something too."

"Omo, you didn't have to!" Lani frantically objected.

"It's nothing much, and I just felt like doing something nice for you."

Niel pulled out a small gift bag from his pocket and handed it to Lani. "I hope you like it."

Lani hesitantly took the bag from Niel and looked inside. Sitting in the bag was a big red hair bow. Lani pulled it out of the bag with a smile.

"Waah! It's so pretty," Lani examined the bow in her hands.

"You really think so?" Niel sheepishly asked.

"Yes, thank you Niel," Lani genuinely said.

Before either of them could say anymore, they both heard a scratching noise from the back of the shed. They walked to wall and realized it was coming from outside. Niel told Lani to stay inside as he inspected the strange noise, but she refused and followed him out the door. They walked around the side and Niel looked around the corner.

“What is it?” Lani asked as she peered over his shoulder, “is it the cat you’ve been leaving food out for?”

“Well it’s some kind of animal… Oh my gosh!” Niel suddenly exclaimed. He turned around and Lani took a step back. He grabbed her by the shoulders and spun her around. “Get back in the shed! It’s not a cat!”

“Huh?” Lani did as told with panic and confusion.

“It’s a raccoon!” Niel exclaimed. They ran into the shed and Niel shut the door behind them before they both flopped onto the couch. They both had to catch their breath before they burst into laughter.

“You should’ve seen your face!” Lani couldn’t stop laughing.

“It was scary! Well I guess I should stop feeding it,” Niel responded.

“And this whole time you thought you were feeding a cat,” Lani let out another round of laughter.

“Yah, whatever. I better get going; the others will wonder where I am.”

“Okay, see you around,” Lani said her goodbyes as did Niel. “Wait,” Lani stopped him before he could walk out the door. "Um, Chunji oppa and Cap oppa are taking me out for dinner, would you like to come? I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

 


aw she got kicked out of the company :( and do they even have raccoons in korea? no clue ~ xD hope yah enjoyed it ! comment and subscribe ~ :]