Three

On The Rooftop

 

L.Joe grabbed his phone and dialed Lani’s number. Before he could even say anything, Lani said she couldn’t practice that day. L.Joe stopped her from rambling on while making her excuse and asked to meet on the roof.

He sat impatiently with the soft wind blowing through his silky orange hair. He heard the door open and looked to see Lani standing in the doorway. He motioned for her to sit next to him.

“I’m sorry…” L.Joe began and looked at her. She seemed confused, so he continued. “I’m sorry for what happened here that time…I really didn’t mean for that to happen…I don’t know what overcame me. It’s all my fault, I know. And you have no reason to want to spend time with me, but if that’s the reason could you just tell me, instead of making up excuses. I understand if you hate me…”

His face was as cold as ice and he stared out at the busy city below them.

“Hate you?” Lani said in shock. “I don’t hate you, I could never hate you.”

“Then why have you been avoiding me? Is it too weird being around me? I’ll leave you alone if that’s what you want.”

“No, no no. That’s not it.” Lani paused in thought. She considered telling him, but that would just ruin his image. “I…just don’t really feel like I have what it takes to be an idol.” She lied.

“That’s why I want to help you. I remember when I first met you, how determined you were. Just let me help. Will you give it a try?” he said now looking at her.

“…I guess I can at least try.”

“That’s the Lani I know!” L.Joe smiled and touched her face. “You should go rest, we’ll start tomorrow.” He leaned in and kissed her on the forehead then walked away.

-

For the next few days, Lani was stuck doing intense workouts with L.Joe and spent most of her day exercising with him. It became really difficult for her as her stomach began to grow. She wasn’t able to move as fast and she started feeling pains.

While Teen Top was out on a schedule, Lani made her way to her doctor, just to make sure everything was okay with the child she had began to love deeply.

Chunji and CAP’s phones kept ringing during their schedule but they couldn’t take the calls. Their manager took away their phones hoping for better concentration on what they were doing. They were all exhausted after they were done and fell asleep on their way home. Chunji and CAP had totally forgotten about their phones until the manager returned it to them at their dorm. Chunji ran into CAP’s room when he checked who his missed calls were from. L.Joe, who wasn’t yet asleep, heard commotion coming from down the hall and went to check it out.

“She called me over 10 times!” exclaimed Chunji.

“Me too,” said CAP, “Something must be wrong.”

“Call her back!” Chunji snapped at CAP.

“Calm down Chunji.”

“Calm down!? How do you expect me to calm down when something could’ve happened to Lani!?”

L.Joe’s heart stopped when he heard Lani’s name. She was in trouble…but what kind of trouble? And why did she contact them and not him?

“Lani?” L.Joe continued listening when he heard CAP call her name.

“Lani? What’s wrong? Tell me! Lani!” CAP was frantic.

“Lani?! Please, try to speak to us!” Chunji’s voice cracked as he was close to tears.

“We’re coming over right now! Just wait a few minutes.”

“We’ll be there soon Lani, I promise.”

They ended the call and both got up and rushed to the door. L.Joe slid into the nearest room and watched as they ran passed. He couldn’t take it. He needed to know what was going on. L.Joe got into a taxi and followed Chunji and CAP to Lani’s apartment.

Once they arrived, Chunji was too impatient to wait for the elevator and darted to the stairs. CAP followed and so did L.Joe. Lani’s apartment was on the 3rd floor and it took no time for them to get there. They ran down the hall and swung her door open. L.Joe stood next to the door that was left half open and listened intently. Sobs were coming from Lani as she tried to speak. L.Joe peeked in to see her on the floor with Chunji and CAP’s arms wrapped around her.

Chunji was able to calm her and finally they were able to ask what was wrong.

“He’s gone.” Was all Lani said.

“Who’s gone?” asked CAP.

“HE’S GONE! HE’S GONE! THERE’ NOTHING I CAN DO TO GET HIM BACK!” Lani’s sobs started again and she wasn’t breathing properly.

Chunji and CAP looked at each other and their eyes widened.

“You don’t mean…” Chunji couldn’t finish the sentence.

“YES! MY BABY! HE’S GONE! I HAD A MISCARRIAGE!” Lani was screaming now and nothing would calm her.

L.Joe couldn’t believe what he was hearing…

“Is that what the doctor told you?” asked CAP trying to stay calm.

Chunji was already in tears as he put his hands on her stomach.

“I went today after I started feeling pains…I knew something was wrong…it’s all because of that stupid L.Joe!”

L.Joe froze at the sound of his name.

“L.Joe? How?” questioned CAP in shock and confusion.

“I’ve been training with him,” she said quietly.

“What!?” exclaimed Chunji finally talking. “We told you that you can’t train! What were you thinking!?”

“I wasn’t…” Lani sighed and touched her stomach. “He kept asking me to train with him and I didn’t have the heart to tell him about the baby…so I just did it…I didn’t think that…” Lani began crying even more before she could finish her sentence.

“THAT STUPID BASTARD KILLED HIS OWN CHILD!” Chunji exploded in rage. He’d grown to love the child as if it were his own and now that it was gone…he just couldn’t keep himself together.

L.Joe was frozen. He couldn’t move. His breathing stopped. His heart stopped. He felt as if he had turned into ice and someone had just shattered him into a million pieces. He managed to drag himself into the doorway and pushed the door all the way open. The three looked up at the sudden noise to see L.Joe, pale as a ghost with tears running down his cheeks.

“L.Joe…” Lani stuttered in an uneven voice.

“Is it true…?” he managed to say with a blank stare.

She just nodded and looked down, tears falling from her eyes. L.Joe took a staggered step into the apartment dragging his feet which felt like they weighed a ton.  Chunji shot a death glare at him and he froze. His eyes were dull and lifeless and his lip trembled as he tried to speak. Lani looked up at L.Joe and another tear rolled down his cheek as he turned and ran out the door.

“L.Joe!” CAP called out while reaching his hand out.

He gently put Lani to lean on Chunji’s chest and he too ran out of the apartment. L.Joe’s orange hair bounced down the hall as he sprinted to the stairwell.

“L.Joe wait!” yelled out CAP running after him.

CAP was unable to follow L.Joe and couldn’t contact him. Chunji managed to put Lani to sleep and returned to the dorm where CAP awaited him. They stayed awake for most of the night, but L.Joe was yet to return. 


 

oh no :O