Thirty Eight

On The Rooftop

 

Lani stood awkwardly in an empty room across from Teen Top’s practice room. It was the middle of the day and she returned to the company building to give Chunji’s sweater back. She heard the music stop and knew Teen Top would be on break. She listened for the rush of their footsteps as the six hurried to exit the room. Lani popped her head out from her hiding spot and carefully watched for Chunji. He walked out the room wiping sweat from his face and turned in the direction of the elevator when he heard a soft voice call his name.

“Psst, Chunji! Oppa!” Lani ‘discreetly’ called.

Chunji looked around in confusion until he spotted Lani’s small face poking out from another practice room.

“Lani?” he questioned with puzzlement.

“Shhh,” Lani mouthed with her finger on her lips. She gestured with one hand for Chunji to come over to where she was.

Chunji raised an eyebrow in response before following orders and going towards Lani.

“What are you doing hiding in here?” Chunji asked looking for a reasonable explanation.

“I needed to see you, but I wanted to avoid L.Joe,” Lani explain.

“Well that leaves me with three questions,” Chunji began. “Why are you avoiding L.Joe, why do you need to see me, and …why didn’t you just text me instead of hiding like some kind of stalker?” Chunji playfully chuckled.

“It’s a long story and …I didn’t think about texting you…”

Chunji let out another small laugh and ruffled her hair, “why don’t we get something to eat? We can talk over a nice big bowl of hot soup.”

-

Chunji watched as Lani pulled something out of her bag and slide it across the table to him,

“What’s this?” he asked as he reached for it.

“It’s your sweater that I borrowed. Washed and folded~” she chanted with a cute smile.

“When did you borrow my sweater…?” Chunji raised his eyebrow.

“Dammit. I was hoping you wouldn’t ask that…”

Chunji just stared at Lani with a confused expression.

"Well anyways!" Lani began.

"But you didn't-"

"Oh look! Our food's coming!" Lani clasped her hands together with excitement, not only for the food, but also not having to explain anything to Chunji. Lani took an anxious spoonful of soup, only to burn her tongue and amuse Chunji.

"It's not funny!" Lani whined. "My tongue really hurts!"

"Sorry...” Chunji held back another round of giggles.

Lani glared at him before going back to the delicious and definitely hot food in front of her. The two quietly ate, enjoying their meal, until Chunji asked a question.

"So what's going on between you and L.Joe?" Chunji directly asked.

"He's mad at me..." Lani frowned as she played with her fingers.

"Why?" Chunji pressed for more information.

"It's one big misunderstanding really," Lani began and told Chunji the whole story.

"Well maybe I can try talking to L.Joe for you," Chunji suggested.

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

"Of course, I'd do anything for my best friend," Chunji smiled and ruffled her hair. "There's something I need to tell you too."

"What is it?" Lani's curiosity couldn't help but get the better of her.

"I was going to let L.Joe tell you, but..." Chunji trailed off.

Lani gave Chunji a small smile and urged him to go on.

"We're going to Japan."

"That's great!" Lani exclaimed, "when will you be leaving?"

"In a few days," he answered.

"A few days? How long will you be gone...?"

"About two and a half weeks."

"That's not so bad," Lani was relieved that it wasn't for longer.

"I know, but... I'm going to miss your birthday," Chunji stared at Lani watching her reaction carefully.

"Oh..." Lani said with disappointment when she realized her birthday was about a week away. "It's okay," she gave him a small smile before returning to her meal.

They ate the rest of their soup in silence as neither of them had anything to say. Chunji's lunch break was almost over so they headed back to the building together. The weather was nice with a warm breeze blowing throughout the air. The sky was clear with a few white fluffy clouds floating about. It was spring time, Lani's favourite time of the year. As she and Chunji walked side by side, she let out a sigh of content.

"I'm so glad spring is here. The weather is getting warmer, the flowers are blooming, and it's a new beginning!" Lani cheered.

"Are you sure you just don't like spring because you're a spring baby?" Chunji chuckled.

"Well maybe that's part of the reason," she giggled, "but who doesn't like spring!?"

"People with allergies?" Chunji pinched Lani's nose with a wide smile.

Lani scrunched her eyes closed and shook Chunji's hand away.

"Race you to the building!" Lani excitedly exclaimed already taking a head start.

"Yah! Get back here!" Chunji quickly sped off towards her, catching up in no time.

The two arrived at the building panting and gasping for air. They rode up in the elevator laughing and smiling until they reached the floor with the practice rooms. 

"I'll get you a water bottle, wait right here," Chunji stated before jogging into the room.

Lani poked her head in and looked around. The boys were lazily sprawled across the floor chattering away about nothing of importance. Just as Lani was about to duck out of the room, she made eye contact with Ricky. He gave her a shy wave and she waved back. This gathered the attention of all of the members who turned and smiled at her. Lani waved at each of them, including Niel and L.Joe. Niel awkwardly waved back, but L.Joe didn't even give her a second glance. He directed his attention elsewhere as everyone felt the tension rising. Chunji returned moments later with a bottle of water in his hand.

"Catch!" he exclaimed as he tossed it towards Lani.

She easily caught the bottle and smiled at Chunji.

"I'll see you later, alright?" Chunji ruffled Lani's hair once more and gave her one last smile.

"Okay, bye oppa, bye guys," Lani chanted as she turned and walked away.

 


:)