Just when I thought my life couldn't get any worse

Complicated

 

The funeral was scheduled for tomorrow and I was so not prepared. I didn’t want to see Zelo get buried. I didn’t want to say good bye, I didn’t want to go. But, I had to. Zelo would’ve wanted me to.

 

I slipped on a black dress and a pair of shoes. I didn’t bother fixing my hair or doing my makeup. I looked at myself in the mirror and I almost didn’t recognize who was staring back at me.

 

I wasn’t eating properly and I’ve lost a lot of weight. In fact, I looked like a stick. My clothes hung loosely on my body; which was slouched forward. My face was incredibly pale. I was sick, with depression. My lips were dry and chapped. My eyes were lifeless.

 

I sighed and moved away from the mirror. I couldn’t handle looking at myself anymore. I stepped out of the door and went into the car where Yongguk, Youngjae and Jongup were waiting in. Daehyun wasn’t there because he couldn’t walk and the hospital people didn’t allow him to leave.

 

The drive to the cemetery was silent. No one spoke a word. All that was heard was the sound of the car engine rumbling. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back on the seat. The car stopped after a few minutes, I opened my eyes and looked out the window.

 

Instead of seeing a cemetery, I saw a big and exquisite house. I cocked my head in confusion and asked, “What are we doing here?”

 

Yongguk cleared his throat and turned back to look at me, “We’re here to pick up Himchan. This is his family’s house. He’s going to the funeral with us.”

 

I swear at that moment my jaw literally dropped to the ground. “What? Why?” I was furious. Himchan doesn’t deserve to see him. In fact, Himchan doesn’t even deserve to live. “What rights does he have to see him?” I snapped at him.

 

“Actually, Zelo’s family couldn’t afford to pay for all the hospital treatments and operations. His and Himchan’s family are actually good friends so, they decided to help them pay off the hospital bill.” Yongguk slowly said.

 

“What?” I couldn’t believe my ears, “Why didn’t any of you tell me this earlier? I could’ve taken a cab. I don’t want to be close to that freak! And also, can’t he just go with his family since they’re such good friends with Zelo’s family?”

 

“We didn’t want you to stress out so much…” Youngjae said silently.

 

I was about to scream something offensive back at him but I got cut off by Yongguk and his stern voice, “Listen to me, Hyuna. We have to pick him up because his family is busy help Zelo’s family with all the funeral preparations. I want you to behave. Please, don’t act childish or selfish. You are not the only one grieving here. All of us are. I know that you’re angry but just please stop snapping at people.”

 

I ignored him and simply scoffed. I crossed my arms and bit my bottom lip. I saw someone coming out of the house and I assumed it was Himchan so I looked at my shoes.

 

I heard the car door open a few seconds later and I felt someone enter the car. “Hey, guys.” He said. His perfume was so strong you could probably smell it from miles away. And it didn’t really help with the fact that the car was completely packed like a sardine can and none of the windows were opened.

 

I purposely coughed and choked on the air, earning myself an honourable glare from Mr. Bang Yongguk himself. I rolled my eyes at him and said sarcastically, “Yongguk, could you do me a dear favour and scroll down the windows, please? I am suffocating.”

 

“Suffocating from what?” he blatantly asked. Apparently, none of them had noticed Himchan’s pungent smelling perfume. I slapped my forehead and scrolled down one of the windows by myself.

 

I saw Yongguk shrug as he drove off. We reached the cemetery not too long later and I saw a massive group of people dressed in pitch black. “They must be here for him,” I thought to myself. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away.

 

All of us stepped out of the car and walked towards the crowd. Youngjae and Jongup walked by my side and I felt Himchan walking dangerously close to me at my back. I restrained myself from turning back and slapping him on the face.

 

Yongguk brought me over to two middle-aged adults. “They’re Zelo’s parents. Be nice to them.” He whispered to me. I merely nodded and walked towards them.

 

The two of them gave me sad smiles and I tried my best to return one. “Hello, Mr and Mrs Choi, I’m sorry for your loss. Zelo was a great boy.” I said, keeping my head down because I didn’t want them to see the threatening tears in my eyes.

 

“Indeed he was,” Zelo’s mother said, putting a comforting arm on my shoulder, “What’s your name, dear?”

 

“I’m Hyuna…” I said slowly, looking up at her.

 

The Hyuna?” Mr. Choi asked and I nodded, “You know, our son talks about you quite a lot. He was very fond of you.”

 

I smiled and nodde, I didn’t know what else to say, “We were…good friends…” The both of them smiled at me in return and directed me where to sit. I followed their directions and sat down. The ceremony was going to start any second.

 

I suddenly felt someone breathing close to me. I tensed up immediately.

 

“Meet me after this, I really need to talk to you.” Himchan whispered.