News

Complicated

My head is spinning violently. My face is swollen and red. I can’t feel my mouth. I can’t fall asleep no matter how hard I try. The other guys asked me to rest. My whole body is in severe pain. I want all of this to stop. Stupid Himchan. If he didn’t exist, none of this would’ve happened. I would’ve been fine and Hyuna could’ve been mine. Why does he even try to seduce every girl that he meets? What does he even gain from it? Ugh, I feel like throwing up.

Zelo gathered all the remaining strength in his body and got himself off the sofa. He ran to the bathroom and started to throw up. He tasted blood in his mouth. Ew, this is strange…why can I taste blood? He opened his eyes and found out that he was throwing up blood into the toilet bowl.

He was shocked when he saw the blood. He quickly walked back into the living room and told the others. “Guys, I think you need to bring me to the hospital…like right now.”

“Why?” asked a really bored Daehyun.

“I just puked out blood, a lot of it.”

“Ugh…sick…” Daehyun cringed.

“Just take me there.”

“Fine, let me go call the others. We’re all gonna go support you.”

All of them; minus Himchan of course, went to the hospital. They brought Zelo to the emergency unit and he was immediately seen by a doctor. “Can I have your name, please?” the kind-looking doctor said.

“Choi Junhong.”

“Okay. Tell me what happened, Junhong. You look horrible. Did you just get beat up?”

“Erm…”

“It’s okay, you can tell me.”

“Yes…”

“Let me just run some tests on you.”

The doctor inspected Zelo from head to toe. His injuries were definitely serious. The doctor took a very long time and Zelo started to feel sleepy, he dozed off for a few minutes until… “Junhong, I’m afraid this might take even longer. I need to run some more tests. Something doesn’t seem very right here.”

“Huh? Oh, okay sure. Can I wait outside with my friends? They’re waiting for me.”

“That would be fine. I’ll call you back in when the results are done.”

What a weird doctor…and he said he needs to “run some more tests”. Ugh, how serious can this be? All I did was just get punched in the face by some stupid . Scumbag doctor. Oh god, what the hell are Youngjae and Jongup doing? I swear they’re secretly gay and want each other. Maybe they’re already together. Oh what the hell am I thinking? He must’ve hit my head a little bit too hard…

“Hey guys. The doctor said he needs to run a few more tests,” Zelo said to the others, without forgetting to add the air quotes.

“What kind of tests?” Yongguk asked.

“How would I know?” Zelo snapped back at him quickly.

“Chill man. I’m just worried for you.”

“Whatever.” Zelo rolled his eyes and sat down. He soon drifted off to a deep sleep.

--

Zelo was sitting at a bench in the park looking at the beautiful pond. He sat alone, but he was waiting for someone to arrive. Someone special. “Hey you, guess who I am,” he felt a pair of soft hands cover his eyes. He immediately knew who it was.

“Hmm…let me think…could it be Hyuna?” Hyuna removed her hands and went in front of him and gave him a kiss on the lips and said, “You’re absolutely correct, smartie pants.” Zelo smiled. He felt incredibly happy to have her.

“Zelo,” Hyuna said while looking at him with her big, puppy dog eyes.

“Yes, sweetie?”

“Let’s go to the ice cream shop. I feel like having a sundae.”

“No. I have something even better planned.”

“What is it?”

“You’ll have to wait and see for yourself,” Zelo said with a slight smirk on his face.

“Fineeeeeee,” Hyuna pouted.

Zelo took Hyuna’s hand and they started walking. He asked her to keep her eyes closed because he wanted to keep it a surprise.

“You can open your eyes now,” Zelo said to Hyuna sweetly when they reached the place. Hyuna opened her eyes and saw a table with filled with food perfectly laid out. There was even a candle in the middle of the table. “I thought we could eat here and watch the sunset.”

Hyuna blushed heavily, “Oh Zelo, you’re so cheesy…but I like it,”

Zelo smiled to himself. They sat down and started eating and talking. They held each other as they watched the sun go down. There can’t possibly be another moment greater than this, he thought as he leaned down and kissed Hyuna’s forehead.

--

“ZELO WAKE UP!” Youngjae shook Zelo roughly.

“I’m up! I’m up!” It was just a dream…oh how I wish it happened in real life… “What is it this time, Youngjae.”

“The doctor told us that he finished running the tests and he needs to talk to you. He said its, quote. Urgent.”

Zelo got up and walked into the doctor’s office.

“Take a seat, Junhong.”

He did as he was told.

“I’m afraid I have some terrible news to tell you. I’ve already told your friends outside about it. They’re very supportive and you are very lucky to have them as your friends.”

“So what is it?”

“Your blood seemed unusual. So I ran another test just to make sure…and I wasn’t mistaken. Junhong, I’m sorry to have to be the one who breaks this to you but, the other doctors and I found cancerous cells in your blood. We ran plenty more tests and found out that the cancer is actually very serious. There’s only a slight chance of survival for you. Maybe about 15 percent? We can start treatment for you as soon as possible. We can start as early as tomorrow. All you have to do is-“

“Wait…” what the hell? Is this guy serious or what? How can I have cancer? I didn’t even do anything wrong… “So you’re saying that I have cancer, and I am most probably going to die.”

“Yes, unfortunately but miracles do happen sometime.”

“Where is the cancer?”

“The cancer is widely spread already. We’re not quite sure where it started but the cancer is in your liver, bone and a small part of your stomach.”

“Liver cancer??? How is that even possible? I don’t even drink alcohol!”

“Cancer is in the genes. It isn’t necessarily caused by drinking or smoking. I’m really sorry Junhong. Like I said, we could start treatment tomorrow. Try to kill as many cancerous cells as possible.”

I can’t believe it…I really can’t. First, the girl I like leaves me for that bloody Himchan and then he beats me up and now the doctor tells me I have cancer. I don’t even feel like living anymore. What the is wrong with me? I don’t even want this stupid treatment. I want to rot alone in a dark hole and die with all my stupid feelings.

“Junhong? I know this news is a lot to handle but I need you to tell me right now if you want the treatment or not.”

I don’t want it you . I really don’t. What is there to look forward to in life? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But before I die, I’m gonna make sure I take Himchan with me…But what’s gonna happen to Hyuna? I really do love her but I’m a hundred percent sure she doesn’t like me back…

“Junhong…if you’re not going to give me an answer, I’m going to have to ask your friends to come in and help you decide.”

“Bring them in…”

Yongguk, Youngjae, Jongup and Daehyun came in almost running. Jongup rushed over to Zelo and said, “You have to take the treatment! You can’t die! You’re still so young!”

“I’m still gonna die from this disease anyway,” Zelo laughed a cold laugh.

Yongguk was upset by Zelo’s recent rebellious behavior. He walked over to him and slapped him on the face and said sternly, “Listen to me, Choi Junhong. You are getting this treatment whether you want it or not. Do it for us, for Hyuna, your family and don’t forget, most importantly. Do it for yourself. You’re still so young and you have your whole life ahead of you. Even if you don’t survive, at least we all know you tried. And you will be deeply respected for that.”

Oh …now that I think about it, what Yongguk said is completely true…maybe I should take the treatment…can’t believe I forgot about my family. I swear I’m getting more stupid day by day.

“So just sign here,” the doctor said whilst handing Zelo a paper and a pen.

“What’s this for?” Zelo asked curiously before touching anything.

“It’s a contract, for your chemotherapy.”

“Oh, okay…” Zelo took the pen and signed the contract without even reading it. This year just gets better and better, doesn’t it? Thanks a million, life. He thought to himself sarcastically.

--

I sat on the bed, pouring all my thoughts and feelings out to Himchan. I don’t even know why I’m talking to him. I wanted to talk to Daehyun or Zelo but I guess I’m not important enough for them… I couldn’t help myself. I told Himchan everything. About my family, the constant beatings my father gave me. I told him about my one and only primary school friend, Choi Eunbi. I told him every single flipping thing.

After sobbing hysterically to Himchan for about 3 hours, Himchan managed to calm me down. I cried in his arms. I’m starting to think that he might be bipolar. One minute he’s so and flirty but the next he’s nice, caring and understanding.

He told me that it’s okay to cry, and he told me that everything will eventually be alright and normal. He comforted me even though I threw several pillows directly at his face when he tried to come closer to hug me. Even if he keeps being this nice and understanding to me, I will never forgive for what he did to me that night. Because that is utterly unforgivable.

I ended up falling asleep in his arms that night. I woke up in the morning feeling much better than I’d been in a very, very long time. I looked at Himchan sleeping peacefully next to me. Bipolar . I thought to myself and laughed. That actually sounds kinda funny.

I got out of bed and stretched. I checked my phone and I saw a text message from Jongup. I opened it and read it.

“Call me as soon as possible. We need to talk. Something happened to Zelo.”