Chapter 083

EVERLAST: The Hunters

Chapter Eighty-Three
 
Dawn is approaching.
 
Tiffany had already packed her bag and changed into her original black outfit. She stood at the doorway and observed the dimmed room for the one last time.
 
I guess this is the end of us.
 
Disappointedly, and reluctantly, Tiffany swung her bag strap over her shoulder and walked out of the room.
 
She had stayed up the whole night purposely, in case Taeyeon decided to sneak into the room when she was asleep.
 
But she didn’t.
 
The room was remained as it was for the whole night.
 
Tiffany reached for her left thigh and felt the empty scabbard which was attached to it.
 
She had left that blade for Taeyeon to kill her. But Taeyeon did not appear, nor did she leave her blade behind. This sent Tiffany into confusion as she had no idea what was exactly going on in Taeyeon’s mind.
 
If she wants to kill her, she should have done it during the midnight. If she wants to spare her life, why did she take her blade away?
 
Clueless, Tiffany realized Taeyeon had changed so much that she failed to recognize her anymore.
 
But ironically, she still loves her.
 
The sky grew brighter as each second passed, emerging the dark space with the glowing navy color. Tiffany paced across the bridge slowly, enjoying the fresh air in the morning. Ever since she stepped into Aurales, she seldom had the chance to do this as trainings and missions took up most of her time. It felt great to know that she could finally return to the kind of life she used to live before again. She had no more burdens, no more responsibilities to handle.
 
She is just Tiffany, a normal woman who can live a life on her own.
 
Faraway, but not too far away, Tiffany spotted a figure standing at the entrance of the woods. She couldn’t see her face due to their distance, but her instinct already had an answer for her.
 
Taeyeon.
 
Her pace came to a stop almost immediately when she realized who that person was. In split second, her heartbeat increased tremulously, her breathing almost came to a stop and all she did was to stand still and watched the person approached her slowly.
 
“Fany…”
 
She was correct. The missing blade was indeed in her hand.
 
Tiffany narrowed her eyes at the blade in Taeyeon’s right hand before averting her gaze to the sorceress’s face.
 
“I see you have made up your decision.” It was only until she finally spoken a word, Tiffany then realized she had been holding her breath since the moment she recognized Taeyeon.
 
“Yes.” Taeyeon admitted without a second thought. She stopped walking when she was two steps away from Tiffany. “And I will not retreat this time.” Her tone was firmed and her gaze was certain. Tiffany knew she wasn’t kidding this time.
 
A bitter smile was formed on Tiffany’s face. “Well, what are we waiting for?” She removed the strap on her shoulder and threw her bag to the ground. Shutting her eyes tightly together, Tiffany urged the sorceress, “You can do it now.”
 
She heard the sound of Taeyeon’s pants shuffling against one another and next, she felt something slipped into the scabbard on her left thigh and Taeyeon’s breath was blowing against her face.
 
“Silly girl…”
 
Taeyeon whispered into her ear.
 
“I’m not here to take your life.”
 
She sneaked an arm around Tiffany’s waist and pulled her into her embrace.
 
“We will leave together. We will abandon everything in our past and leave this place together.”
 
Her statement had caught Tiffany off-guard. Surprised, and obviously shocked by Taeyeon’s decision, Tiffany opened her eyes immediately, wanting to confront the sorceress. But she was attracted to the tearful face in front of her instead.
 
“Why… Why are you crying?” Tiffany automatically cupped Taeyeon’s face and wiped off the tears with her thumbs. Unknowingly to her, tears were also forming in her eyes and they were rolling down her cheeks like those on Taeyeon’s face.
 
Taeyeon chuckled when she caught those tears on Tiffany’s face. She quickly wiped off her tears as well with the back of her hand. “Silly girl, you’re crying too.”
 
Tiffany touched her face and realized Taeyeon was saying the truth. She quickly turned away from Taeyeon, trying her best to stop the tears from falling, but it was obviously impossible.
 
She was too overwhelmed by the sorceress’s decision that other than tearing, she couldn’t come out with any other reaction.
 
It was simply too unbelievable.
 
The petite girl wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s waist again. She pressed her front against Tiffany’s back tightly and buried her face on the hunter’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.” She said while tightening her hold around Tiffany’s waist. “I promise this won’t happen again.”
 
Tiffany said nothing and shook her head while sobbing away.
 
“I will not let it happen ever again.” Taeyeon turned Tiffany around and cupped her face again. She stared into her eyes with utmost gentleness. “I will never leave you again. I will not let us go separate ways again.”
 
“Don’t force yourself––”
 
“I’m not. I’m only doing what I wanted to do!” Her voice was filled with determination, and her gaze was full of passion. “I want to be with you. I don’t want to regret again.”
 
“Taeyeon…”
 
“I love you, Phanie-ah.”
 
Her tears stopped for a millisecond upon the confession and burst out like running water under the tap the very next moment. Tiffany had to cover her nose and mouth with both palms to stop herself from crying again, but it was even more impossible than when she learnt Taeyeon decided to leave with her – She thought she would never hear these three words from her again.
 
Taeyeon pulled Tiffany into her embrace and allowed her to rest on her shoulder. She patted on the sobbing hunter tenderly, “I said this before, didn’t I?” She inhaled a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Your wish is granted. We will be together forever and ever.”
 
The sobbing hunter could only nod her head as a form of response. She was too happy to be able to come out with words.
 
“Here…” Taeyeon took out two familiar rings from her pocket and showed them to Tiffany. “Our rings. Wearing them means we are married.”
 
“My ring…” Tiffany was surprised to find her ring in Taeyeon’s hand. She slipped her hand into her jacket’s pocket subconsciously. “You––”
 
“I found it in your jacket when I wash your clothes.” Taeyeon admitted her act before Tiffany had the chance to ask. She dropped on one knee suddenly, holding the rings with the tips of her fingers, “Will you marry me?”
 
The hunter’s eyes dilated with even more surprises, “Tae––”
 
“I don’t accept ‘no’ as an answer.” Taeyeon interrupted her and took her hand. “I want us to be official.” She slipped the ring with ‘T’ carving onto Tiffany’s fourth finger without waiting for Tiffany’s consent. Then, she stood up, and pushed the other ring onto Tiffany’s palm forcefully. “You don’t have to put this ring on me though.  I can take it you want a divorce and––Ouch!” Taeyeon held her forehead and looked at Tiffany with puppy eyes. “Wh––”
 
Tiffany simply pulled her hand over and slipped the ring into her fourth finger.
 
“You’re mine now.” She tried to imitate Taeyeon’s voice. “I don’t accept ‘no’ as an answer.”
 
The heavy atmosphere finally lifted after the both of them started to chuckle at their own words. Tiffany let out a soft sigh as she wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s neck and rested her head on the shorter girl’s shoulder.
 
“Finally…” The corner of her lips lifted on its own accord as she breathed out silently.
 
Taeyeon held her waist and pulled them close together again.
 
No one had any idea how many times had she wished for this to happen, even though she always claimed she hated her, Taeyeon knew it was a lie all along.
 
She loves her too much to hate her.
 
Under the witness of the rising sun, the separated couple finally reunited. However, if only either one of them noticed the red which flashed in their eyes, they would have realized this was only the beginning.
 
The time bomb in her blood is ticking away.
 
*
 
The atmosphere was near dead, but at least the two shikshins were sitting around the table with them again. Sooyoung kept her straight face on, whereas Yoona looked obviously worried. She kept diverting her gaze from her partner to Yuri, and from Yuri back to her partner, as though they would throw away their utensils anytime and jumped into a fight.
 
“Quit staring.” Sooyoung said with a stern voice suddenly, causing Yoona to jump in shock and withdrew her gaze. “Your food is getting cold.”
 
Frightened by Sooyoung’s unusual seriousness, Yoona nodded silently and quickly ate her breakfast.
 
On the other side of the table, Yuri was observing them secretly, but not so secretly enough to escape Jessica’s eyes.
 
Jessica noticed how expressionless Yuri was since Sooyoung and Yoona stepped into the dining room. The hunter didn’t seem too happy with Sooyoung and Yoona’s presence, nor was she unhappy with it. Or maybe, she was struggling in between these two emotions that it left her with a stoned face.
 
Sigh… Jessica let out an inaudible sigh. She was pretty sure Yuri wanted them to sit around the table and enjoyed one another’s presence like how they used to do before, but after seeing how she cried and asked her not to do this again anymore…
 
She became clueless.
 
Had she worsened their situation instead?
 
“Thanks for the breakfast, it was great.”
 
Jessica snapped out from her thought and saw Sooyoung rising up from her seat with the dirty plate and utensils in her hands. A very faint smile could be seen on her face if one looked really closely.
 
The burden on her chest seemed to have lessened a little. Jessica was glad, she was really happy to see Sooyoung putting in efforts to fulfill what she promised her. She might have looked indifferent or hostile in the beginning, but that faint smile proved she was trying to give in and was willing to break the ice between Yuri and herself.
 
Jessica couldn’t be any happier than this.
 
As long as Sooyoung had the will to change, Jessica believed their relationship would return to what it used to be.
 
“I’m going to be at the training ground. Will be back before lunch.”
 
Sooyoung left after she washed up her dishes, leaving the three of them behind. Yoona stared at the couple awkwardly. It had been a while since they shared a table together.
 
“Do you want to go too?” Getting uncomfortable with Yoona’s stare, Yuri had no choice but to speak up.
 
She wasn’t planning to talk until the shikshins left.
 
“Nah, I will stay.” A faint smile was drawn on the younger hunter’s face. “I miss you, unnie.” Yoona extended her arms across the table and grabbed Yuri’s hands. “I… I felt like it has been ages since I last talked to you, and it makes me feel terrible.” It had only been two days, but two days was more than enough to turn their warm home into a cold place.
 
Yoona hated how their dormitory became more like a hotel ever since Tiffany’s departure. No one interacted anymore. Everyone was always in their rooms doing their own stuffs as if they did not know one another.
 
Yuri’s lips went apart, but nothing came out.
 
She wasn’t sure how should she respond to Yoona’s confession. She felt as terrible as Yoona… or maybe more than her, for she knew she was the one who created the problem.
 
“Let me do the dishes!”
 
Yoona could tell Yuri was struggling and she didn’t want to push her. It was already hard for her when Tiffany left, and not to mention how Sooyoung started to boycott her as well after the incident, Yoona wanted to pull back the situation as much as she could.
 
The young hunter collected all the dirty plates and brought them to the basin without waiting for the pair of lover’s reaction. While she was rinsing them under the tap, a pair of hands came over and grabbed the sponge before she could take it.
 
Yoona looked over in surprise and was greeted by Yuri’s side profile, “We will do it together.” Though Yuri was still expressionless, Yoona knew this was a good start.
 
Even Sooyoung was willing to have breakfast with Yuri again, Yoona believed they would return to how they used to be before Tiffany’s departure––
 
Tiffany unnie…
 
Yoona chewed on her bottom lip unconsciously when she recalled the missing hunter.
 
I will bring you back home too, I promise.