Prologue

EVERLAST: The Hunters
Prologue

The night is still long.

A black coupé pulled up against the pavement of the empty road. The lights which hovered over it from the street lamps were flickering in an inconsistent, weird manner. An unusual, eerie atmosphere quickly built around it, yet the two living souls who were seated in the car bickered over other matters, which they thought were more important than the situation they were in.

“I’m saying this for the last time. Take off your shades now.” The hunter in the passenger’s seat warned the driver.

“I said I have confidence with my vision, stop worrying!” The driver snorted while checking on her baby handguns. These babies were modified by her some years ago. The exact year she couldn’t remember, but it was that year when she officially became a qualified hunter for the clan. 

Most handguns hold between 15 to 17 rounds, specific models holding up to 30 rounds, but for her, as someone who really hates to change the magazines here and there during an intensive battle (and to think that most of her opponents aren’t even normal beings), she modified her handguns personally to hold up to 50 rounds each, and to possess stronger shooting power that increases the shooting range.

It would be nice to finish off the opponents before they were able to come close to her. It really pained her whenever she saw those dirty crimsons stained her clothes.

With the help of the rear mirror, the hunter on the passenger’s seat tied up her long wavy hair, leaving the short fringe that covered part of her eyebrows aside. She turned to her side and glared at the driver, “You didn’t forget what happened last week, did you?”

The driver was slipping her handguns back into their positions when her partner’s question stopped her. She paused for a mere second before continuing with her movement. “That was an exception, an accident.” She was too tired that night and had accidentally fallen asleep while driving the car. Those shades were definitely innocent.

“So why are you not taking off your shades now, Kwon Yuri?” It was an accident which could be avoided if this girl stopped wearing her shades in the middle of the night!

“Fany, those are two different issues. You’re getting too worked up.” They were still alive and kicking, weren’t they? Besides, she had already drunk three cups of coffee before coming to this town. She could assure Tiffany that she was not going to fall asleep again (though Tiffany thought it was the shades’ fault that almost caused the car to crash into the tree the other night).

“Who wouldn’t when it comes to life and death?” Tiffany opened the door and stepped out of the car. “I’m so going to grab the keys away from her later.” She mumbled to herself as she slammed the door hard, closing it with a loud thud.

Then, she stopped abruptly.

The air, it stinks.

They were only at the entrance of the town, but the air was already heavily filled with the smell of blood and… something rotten.

“Yuri.” Tiffany called out to her long-haired partner who insisted on wearing her shades. “Be careful.” She could sense some things surrounding them, and those things were definitely not the normal human beings.

Must be the mutants.

Yuri nodded in acknowledgement, although Tiffany, whose back faced her, couldn’t see it. “The situation worsened when we were on our way here.” The virus spread faster than they thought. They had rushed here immediately after receiving the emergency call from this town two hours ago, but now…

It seemed that they were all dead, or rather, mutated.

“No matter what, look out for any survivors.” Tiffany replied as she frowned at the empty space before her. Their job wasn’t anything about saving the world or what-so-ever great things one could think of. They were not heroes. They were just hunters who hunted down the people from Satron in order to live a peaceful life.

“Ready.” As Tiffany spoke, her hands landed on the hilts of her blades. Unlike Yuri, Tiffany was a blade hunter. She engaged in battles face-to-face, but most of her opponents always failed to catch even a glimpse of her before they bid goodbyes to the world––She was simply too fast for them to handle.

The unusual atmosphere seemed to have deepened. Yuri pulled out both of her babies, each in a hand, with the one on her right pointing up towards the sky.

“Let’s get the party started.” She said with a smirk spreading across her face.

The moment that dark figure leaped out from the roof of the building where she was pointing to, a gunshot echoed through the district and the figure which was originally leaping through midair fell flat to the ground with a hole in its head.

Mutated beings began to storm in out of nowhere and were dashing towards them. Tiffany looked at them with disgust and anger. Damn those people from the Satron! She cursed inwardly. What the heck were they thinking? Mutating innocent human beings in order to gain full control of the world?

Fat hope.

Tiffany stood still, staring at those mutants who were running towards her. Before they could lay their hands on Tiffany, Tiffany disappeared from her position and the next thing those mutants knew, their heads were severed from their bodies.

Uh huh… There she goes again. To think that she owns such an angelic face, Tiffany is actually the cruelest person among them. Not that she was cold-blooded or anything, but she was one of those who left no mercy for her opponents after identifying them as her enemies.

Just a piece of advice, never provoke her.

Yuri’s gaze never left Tiffany’s figure. True, Tiffany may be fast, but as her partner, Yuri isn’t slow either. She has been partnered with Tiffany for about three years and she always loved watching Tiffany battle. She was fast, fierce and accurate. Not many hunters could do as well as her and obviously, there weren’t many girls who were like her…

She is just too unique and perfect––Uh, if you don’t include love-related section.

Bang!

The sound of a gunshot echoed through the district again and one of Yuri’s guns could be seen letting out smoke. Interrupted by the approaching crowd, Yuri finally tore her gaze away from Tiffany and observed those mutants which were coming closer and closer towards her.

“Darn!” She groaned. They were here way too fast! It wasn’t even a minute yet!

“Kwon Yuri, if you are going to waste your time staring at me again,” Tiffany’s cold voice rang in her ears. “I will make sure that you stay in your bed for the next three days.”

Gulp! Yuri coughed awkwardly, she knew Tiffany wasn’t kidding. She would really punish her like there is no tomorrow and made her regret coming into this world. Yuri hadn’t been through that punishment before, but she had seen such cases happen to one of those men from the I.T. Department who kept staring at her… hips.

Yuri quickly turned away from Tiffany and headed off to another area. Her speed was just as fast as Tiffany’s. One moment she was standing in front of her car, and next, she was already on the rooftop of the building, opening fire at those mutants around her.

If only there was another way out… Yuri sighed, as she continued to focus on her targets. If only there was another way out, she would not end their innocent lives this way.

Satron. She gritted her teeth. Why are you doing this to all these innocent lives? Where has your conscience gone to?

They took almost an hour to finish off all the mutated beings in the town and to their disappointment, no survivors were found. All those once-innocent human beings were now lying on the ground, lifelessly.

May God bless them.

Tiffany prayed silently for the burning town before her. Satron… She swore she would take them down and remove their roots from this world, eternally.

“Let’s go.” Yuri gave Tiffany a gentle tap on her shoulder before holding onto her hand. Tiffany might have been merciless, but that was because she had no choice but to end things this way, or things might have gotten worse.