Chapter 031

EVERLAST: The Hunters

Chapter Thirty-One

Tiffany stopped in front of the floating house and observed at the quiet premise before her. She had been taking her own sweet time strolling through the forest, enjoying the environment in the nature, looking out for any unusual sight around her before deciding it was time to come here.

If she wasn’t wrong about Taeyeon having her eyes on her since before the first time they met, Taeyeon should be welcoming her now……

So where is that girl?

Tiffany pulled out her communication device and held it high up in the air. The corner of curled slightly upwards as she squinted at the small device in her hand.

The signal is available, so that means Taeyeon is not around?

Tiffany snorted to herself as she shoved the device back into her pocket.

What a pity. It wasn’t easy to get Yoona off her tail and this was her only chance. Tiffany thought this would the perfect time to meet up with that petite girl who she hadn’t seen for days.

Too bad she isn’t around.

Tiffany pulled open the sliding door and stepped into the living room which she had only seen for once. The reverberation of dead tone within the room was indicating that she was the only living soul around.

“Taeyeon?”

Cautious is a must. The house may seem to be empty, but it is still important to ensure her assumption is correct.

Tiffany roamed around the living room and surveyed the furniture and equipments surrounding her.

Nope, not a single trace or hints of any suspicious items. Taeyeon’s house was just like any other normal houses. Her living room consisted of a large L-shaped sofa, with a small coffee table positioned in front of it. There were a few cabinets lined up against the wall for storing magazines and newspaper too, basically it was clean and simple.

“Taeyeon, are you here?”

Tiffany approached the stairs and headed to the second floor. There were two doors in front of her, each to her side. She decided to check on the room to her right and was greeted by a spacious empty room. There was only a double bed on the opposite side of the door and a couch positioned a few feet away from it.

This should be a guest room if she had not mistaken.

Tiffany closed the door and retreated to the hallway.

If the room on her right is the guest room, then the one of her left must be Taeyeon’s bedroom then.

Tiffany opened the door.

A nicely decorated room with near transparent white curtain was drawn across the balcony’s entrance on the opposite side of the door. To her left was a double bed laid against the wall, taking about one-third space of the room. A small dressing table stood sturdy next to the bed, with a couple of small bottles on top of it. In front of the bed was a large wardrobe and beside the wardrobe there was a door.

That should be Taeyeon’s personal bathroom, Tiffany guessed.

Tiffany walked to the wardrobe and opened it. The wardrobe was filled with a series of white and a few other bright colored clothing. But what actually caught her attention was the small paper bag lying at the bottom of the hanging clothes. Tiffany bent forward and reached for it. A familiar white dress was revealed as she pulled the top apart.

She was right. The peppermint scent she smelled in the alley the other day belonged to Taeyeon indeed.

How… cunning you are, Kim Taeyeon.

Tiffany shoved the dress back into the paper bag and returned it back to its original position before closing the wardrobe. She spun around and walked to the dressing table.

Whitening marvel gels, bb cream, day cream, night cream… Um… She kind of got the idea why Taeyeon looked so young now. That kid sure knew how to take good care of her skin.

Tiffany looked through the items on the dressing table and her gaze eventually stopped at a small navy box which was located at the far end of the lotions. Like a magnet attracting steels, Tiffany was drawn to the small box as though there was a magnetic force drawing her to it, or, a voice calling for her.

As soon as her hand came in contact with the box, Tiffany found herself opening it without a slightest hesitation.

She was actually anticipated? And her heart… it was thumping madly for some reason she couldn’t explain.

The box opened and an awfully familiar ring was revealed under its cover.

Tiffany pulled out the ring from the box and it shone brightly under the reflection of sunlight from outside the window. Tiffany held it near to her eyes and squinted, trying to examine the ring closely.

Weird, she thought she had this ring too, except that the carving inside the ring is not an ‘S’ but a––

“Stephanie…”

The hunter’s movement was halted out of the sudden when an enormous pain on her chest (near to her heart) took over her senses.

“This is what you get for betraying me.”

Tiffany’s knees gave ways and she dropped to the ground with the ring still in her hand. Her chest… it was throbbing in pain. As if something was piercing through her chest–– no, should be slicing. Someone was opening up her chest and pushing something into it.

“This Crystal Tear… contained not only our memories, but the pain and suffering I’ve been through.”

Tiffany could barely open her eyes when her hand reached for the spot where the pain evoked. She clutched onto the piece of fabric right above the painful spot tightly, hoping that it could stop the pain, but no, it wasn’t. The pain on her chest was consuming her energy and taking her breath away gradually.

She could hear her sound of her very own panting.

It was echoing so loudly in her ears.

“Have a taste of my bitterness Stephanie.”

Tears were b in her eyes. The pain… was strange. It felt more like a heartbreaking kind of pain rather than physical pain.

Grievance was slowly accumulating within her and was overtaking her consciousness and emotion. It was as if whatever the voice mentioned in her head had finally taken place in her.

“Taeyeon…”

Tiffany had no idea why she called for that mysterious and suspicious girl. The only thing she knew was darkness conquered her vision as soon as Taeyeon’s name escaped .

*

“Phanie!”

* Phanie pronounced the same as Fany.

Taeyeon jerked up from her dream, but only to be pinned down by the four thick chains around her wrists and ankles. She tried to break them away by casting spells, but nothing happened even after she chanted numerous times.

Just then, the door to the room swung open. A woman who shared similar size as Taeyeon entered. Sunny crossed her arms before her chest and sighed.

“Narsha unnie is right about using The Prayer of Wrath on you.”

“Remove these chains now, please!” Taeyeon struggled vigorously, trying to free her limbs from the annoying metals. “Please Sunny! Remove them! I need to save her! I need to go!” She has to go now! Stephanie is calling for her… Stephanie is in pain!

Sunny arched an eyebrow at her, “What are you talking about?” Okay, so the reason she wanted to get out from those chains is not because she is eager to kill her love rival… But who is that ‘her’ she is talking about?

“Stephanie! She is calling for me!” Taeyeon never stopped struggling.

Stephanie?

Sunny rolled her eyes at her agitated friend.

Did that barrier hit her so hard that she is suffering from brain damage now? ……… Ugh, hope not!

“Earth to Kim Taeyeon!” She snapped her fingers in Taeyeon’s face. “There is no more Stephanie in this world, unless you’re telling me you made new friend with someone by the name of Stephanie.”

“This is not funny, Lee Soonkyu!” Taeyeon gritted her teeth at her. Words were being forced through her tightening teeth. “Remove these chains this second! I. Need. To. Save. Her!”

Sunny finally realized Taeyeon wasn’t dreaming, and was serious with what she was saying. The playful expression on her was immediately replaced by a stern one. She held Taeyeon’s face with both of her hands and arched forward towards her, leaving merely a few centimeters between their faces.

“Taeyeon,” Sunny stared into the angry eyes. “Do you still remember where you are right now?” Taeyeon did not say anything but returned a furious glare at Sunny. Sunny pressed her lips into a straight line and inhaled deeply before releasing her. She moved to the back and settled down near the edge of the bed.

“Taeyeon, Stephanie is dead. You know that.”

“I heard her!”

Sunny ignored Taeyeon. “She died because of your curse! Did you forget it?”

Taeyeon gradually calmed down after hearing Sunny’s words. The mist in her head was starting to disperse. She inhaled and exhaled deeply, everything was coming to a clearer picture.

“Taeyeon?” Sunny looked at her friend worriedly.

Taeyeon huffed out a deep breath, “You’re right, I’m sorry.” She must be dreaming back then. How could she hear Stephanie’s voice when she passed away so many years ago?

“Taeyeon, let go of her will you?”

Taeyeon took a quick glance at her, “I wanted to, but she came back.”

Frown was drawn on her head subconsciously. Sunny tried to reason with Taeyeon, “Honestly Taeyeon, they may look the same, but I still don’t think Tiffany is––”

“No.” Taeyeon interrupted Sunny. “I told you I sensed the presence of my Crystal Tear inside her! Tiffany is definitely her.”

“Okay, let’s say she REALLY is, so? What are you going to do about it? She doesn’t remember a single thing about you and we all know that she can never remember anything about Steph––” Sunny paused, remembering Taeyeon’s taboo. “That girl I mean. So why are you so persistent? Just leave her alone and let us mutate her into a mutant too, alright?”

Taeyeon remained silent for the next few minutes. She had thought about what Sunny said before, but…… whenever the image of Tiffany transforming into a mutant appeared in her mind, she felt like there were thousands of daggers piercing through her heart, stabbing her, injuring her like how Stephanie did to her in the past.

“NO!”

Taeyeon’s sudden outburst almost freaked out Sunny. The startled girl stared at her friend in confusion, “What?” Gosh, this Taeyeon almost scared her soul away!

Taeyeon then realized what she just did. She quickly looked away, pretended nothing had happened at all.

“She doesn’t deserve to be a mutant.” Taeyeon shut her eyes tightly and leaned against the headboard. “I will end her life with my hands.”

Sunny let out a helpless sigh. She knew it was impossible to change Taeyeon’s decision, especially this one here involved Tiffany, or rather, the woman she used to love with the whole of her life – Stephanie Hwang.

“Fine, do whatever you want. The Princess made a deal with you anyway. But leave that Jang Wooyoung alone. We are going to extract his energy, so you’re not going to kill him! Do you understand me?” Sunny glared at the chained girl fiercely.

Now that she mentioned it, Taeyeon finally recalled why and how she ended up in this state.

“I was in the spite of anger earlier on.” Taeyeon shrugged as she replied in a nonchalant tone. “I’ve calmed down already, so don’t worry, I won’t kill him. Besides, the Princess will turn me into a mutant first if I do that. Now, remove these chains off me.” Taeyeon moved her hands roughly. The chains which were holding onto her wrists collided with one another and created a loud cranky sound.

Sunny covered her ears in annoyance. She observed the girl on bed in suspicion, “Are you sure you won’t kill him?”

“Yeah, I won’t.” Taeyeon replied with an innocent and assurance smile on her face.

I’ll just make his life miserable if I ever have the chance to.