Chapter 021

EVERLAST: The Hunters

Chapter Twenty-One

A familiar voice pulled the both of them back into reality. It was only then the duo realized how close their distance was. Yuri hurriedly pulled herself away from the blonde. She turned to the door and found her cold-looking partner staring at them intensely.

“Yuri,” Tiffany repeated her partner’s name again. She took a quick glance at the person, who was resting against Yuri’s chest, with annoyance written clearly in her eyes. “We are going to the city. Come with us.” This is clearly not a question, but an order for Yuri to follow.

Yuri didn’t know why, but when she felt Jessica pulling herself away from her embrace, she tightened her arm around her waist and stopped her from doing so.

“I’m sorry Fany, but I can’t go. Jessica needs me here.” For the first time ever in her life, Yuri rejected Tiffany’s request for someone else.

And that angered Tiffany even more.

Tiffany squinted at her partner. “We got tons of nurses here.” She diverted her gaze to Jessica. “They are more than enough.” Ever since that blonde’s arrival, Yuri’s attention on her had lessened. Tiffany hated this feeling, even though she was the one who pushed Yuri away in the first place.

“I need to be here, Fany.” Yuri replied with a firmer tone.

It was not a matter of taking care of Jessica’s physical health now, this despaired lady obviously needed someone here to be with her.

“You’re just telling me you don’t trust our staffs.” The cold expression on Tiffany’s face never changed, but her stern voice betrayed the boiling anger within her. “I believe they can do a better job than you, Yuri.”

The sarcastic comment certainly upset Yuri. She did not expect her partner would still say such things to her despite living together for around three years.

She thought their relationship was better than this, but she was apparently wrong. She was hurt greatly, and deeply, by her partner.

“I will not leave.” Yuri looked away and focused her attention on the pale-looking girl who seemed to be… asleep? Frown crawled onto Yuri’s saddened face as she shook Jessica lightly with doubts forming in her head. “Jessica, are you alright?” Her cheeks were rosily pink before, how and when did the rosy color on her cheeks fade away? “Jessica?” She shook her once more, but received no reply.

Instead, she watched the blonde scrunched her face in pain.

“Jessica? What’s wrong?” Yuri tried to lift Jessica up when she felt the wetness in her palm.

A bad feeling struck upon her.

Yuri withdrew her hand away from Jessica’s waist in fear, revealing her palm which was covered in crimson color.

“Sica!”

*

Yuri was sitting on one of the benches outside the operation theater, waiting for Jessica’s operation to end. Tiffany had her arms folded, standing right on the opposite side of her, with her back leaning against the wall.

Tiffany observed the hunter in front of her quietly. Her expression was still as cold, and it seemed that her expression had darkened after that blonde lost her conscious.

To be honest, she had never seen Yuri pouring so much care and concern to a person before. Moreover she only knew this person for less than two weeks. It was ridiculous to even see Yuri became so depressed and guilty AGAIN just because the blonde’s wounds accidentally opened up for who-knows-what reason.

She snorted, letting out the displeasure bottled up in her chest.

Maybe it was wrong of her to allow Yuri brought that blonde back to Aurales the other day. She should have asked her to take Jessica to the nearest hospital instead.

Tiffany walked up to Yuri.

“Yuri,” She placed her palm on Yuri’s shoulder. “It is not your fault that her wounds opened again. Besides, the doctor will get them fixed. Don’t think too much about it.” Tiffany’s voice was unusually soft and tender. She might not like Jessica, but Yuri would always be her top priority. It didn’t matter to her whether Jessica was dead or alive, all it mattered was to get the happy-go-lucky Yuri back here again.

Yuri shook her head in disagreement, “No… It’s my fault. If I hadn’t told her about Dehan’s mishap, she wouldn’t have become like this.”

“She has to know the truth someday.” Tiffany didn’t agree with Yuri’s reason for the blaming.

“But I can always tell after she recovered. Why do I have to say it now?” Yuri curled her hand into a fist and punched herself in the forehead.

“Stop it Yuri!” Tiffany cupped Yuri’s fist in her hand, stopping Yuri from hurting herself. “Nobody expected that to happen. And I said before, the doctor is going to fix that up. She is NOT going to die any sooner. So stop these foolish acts and blaming!” It was frustrating to see Yuri acting like this.

And to think that it was for the sake of somebody else, it vexed her even more.

“Yoona and Sooyoung are waiting for me.” There was no way she could stay and watch Yuri worrying over others more than she noticed her existence. “I need to leave now, but I don’t wish to see this happening to you again. You got me?”

Yuri hesitated, before responding with a slight nod.

Tiffany didn’t believe her obviously.

Yuri was into her own world when she felt a pair of warm and strong arms encircling her body. She looked up in surprise, it was Tiffany who hugged her.

“Fany…” Yuri returned the hug naturally and buried her face into the nook of Tiffany’s neck. “I’m sorry…” Tiffany was never an initiative person when it comes to sentimental topics.

Just what had she done to make Tiffany revealed this side of hers?

“I don’t want you to feel sorry.” Tiffany released Yuri a little, looking at her in the eyes. “I just want you to be happy. Whether it rains or shines. I want to see the smile back on your face again. I know it may be hard for you now, but the least I wish is to not see you blaming yourself for all the mistakes done. Do you remember what I told you? Don’t be discouraged. Always face your problems bravely, only then will you be able to advance further.”

Yuri forced out a bitter smile, “Fany-ah…”

Before she could share her opinion with Tiffany, Tiffany suddenly leaned forward and planted a light peck at the corner of her lips. Yuri became stunned immediately, forgetting all her words. Though it wasn’t like they had never kissed before, but Tiffany never did this before at places other than their dormitory.

This… was really a great surprise to her.

“This is my encouragement to you.” Tiffany smirked slightly when she saw a stunned Yuri staring back at her. “Don’t let me down. Make sure I don’t see a depressed Yuri after I returned.”

“Uh… huh…” She needed some time to digest the short, yet sweet kiss.

Tiffany nudged Yuri on her head before leaving with a smile on her face. 

It felt good knowing she had occupied Yuri’s mind once again.

*

Jessica woke up finding herself in the ward again. She felt a tinge pain on her back, but it didn’t hurt as much as before she lost her conscious earlier on––

Hold on, she fainted?

Jessica scratched her head a little and slowly got up from the bed, changing from a lying position to a sitting position. Strangely, she was the only one in the room. It made her felt uneasy because she remembered every time she woke up from her unconsciousness, someone would be sitting right next to her, waiting for her to wake up.

But this time round, she was gone.

“Ugh…” Jessica pulled the blanket together and squeezed it tightly with her fists. She hadn’t forgotten the incident between her and Yuri before she fainted, Yuri must be angry with her now… Well, who wouldn’t? After receiving a slap and kick for no reason?

Jessica fell forward and rested her head on her legs sorrowfully. Why hadn’t she control her violent behavior? Had she forgotten the reason she went on a backpack vacation in the woods? That was to train herself to be a calmer person than being so aggressive! But it was all useless now… Jessica pounced on her legs in frustration while her face was still sticking onto them.

Yuri is going to hate her for life!

“Hing!!!”

“Ha…” She heard a chuckle suddenly. “What are you doing, Sica?”

Jessica quickly let go of the innocent tortured-blanket and turned to the source of the voice. Yuri was standing right before her, wearing the gentlest smile she could ever describe.

“Yuri…” Her jaw dropped slightly, watching the tanned girl coming closer to her and ruffled her hair with the warm hand of hers.

She looked surprisingly in good mood now.

“Feeling better already?” Yuri placed something on the cabinet next to the bed. It was then, Jessica noticed the white plastic bag in her other hand.

She pointed at it, “What’s that?” Trying to divert her attention away from the hand that was caressing her hair.

“Congee.” Yuri moved her hand away and opened up the plastic bag, revealing the transparent container within it. “I thought I should get you something to eat since you hadn’t had anything in the morning.” She opened the container a little, letting the steam escaped. “Let’s wait till it cools down, you can eat it easier that way.”

“Thank you.” Jessica flashed a wide grin at her. “How can you be so nice all the time?”

Yuri subconsciously blushed at her comment. She had never thought herself as a nice and thoughtful person. She was only behaving in the way she thought she should behave. It might seem nice to the others, but to her, it was her way of treating people.

“Yuri-ah…” Yuri looked at the blonde who was looking kind of dull and remorseful. “I scared you back there, didn’t I?” Jessica wasn’t fond of her own actions. “I’m sorry Yuri, I didn’t mean to hurt you.” That slap and the kick must have hurt her a lot.

“No worries, it’s my fault too. I shouldn’t have told you about it when you’re still in recovery state.” Yuri reassured Jessica by her golden hair once more. “You must be in pain.”

Jessica shook her head, unsure whether it was to show her disagreement with Yuri’s statement or to shake off the caressing on top of her head which she kind of enjoyed. “The doctor gave me anesthesia. I won’t feel as much pain as you do. Does your face still hurt? And your abdomen too… I know I used a lot of strengths.” Jessica said guilty.

“Don’t be silly. I’m a hunter, remember? I’m immune to such pain already.” Comparing Jessica’s assaulting to those trainings she had during her trainee days and when she fought those mutants, they were really minor.

“Don’t lie.” Jessica touched her face, “Your face is still swollen.”

“I ––” Yuri was about to reply when she found their eyes locked together. The guiltiness in Jessica’s eyes reminded Yuri of the night when she first saw Jessica.

These eyes looked similar to those melancholic eyes, but they were different––

Yuri felt soft lips pressing against her slightly swollen cheek suddenly. She covered her cheek out of reflex and stared at Jessica in astonishment.

“Je… ssica?”

Jessica, too, was surprised by herself. She didn’t know what came into her and before she realized it, she already kissed Yuri.

She looked away shyly, face turning into the shades of tomato’s color due to embarrassment. “I… I… um… I heard kisses are the best anesthesia! Hope you feel better now…” She scratched her head awkwardly, explaining herself with the best excuse she could think of. Then, she took the blanket and lied down on the bed. “And um… I’m tired. I guess I shall catch a nap now. Talk to you later!” She pulled her blanket over and covered it over her head, not giving Yuri any chance to speak up.

But then again, Yuri didn’t need a chance either.

She was too shocked and surprised to say anything.