Chapter 076

EVERLAST: The Hunters

Chapter Seventy-Six

Yoona sprung up from her seat and approached the hunter who had just dragged her feet into their dormitory. “Sooyoung! Where have you been? I’ve been looking for you! Tiffany unnie isn’t in her room, have you seen her around? Sooyoung? Sooyoung?” As Yoona got closer to her partner, she realized Sooyoung looked unusually dejected, which shouldn’t be the case as the girl was always cheerful unless she didn’t have her food.

Sooyoung headed straight to the couch and plopped herself on it. Seeing this, Yoona followed behind and sat next to her.

“Sooyoung, what’s the matter?” A bad feeling was rising inside her. “Is it about unnie?” Sooyoung remained silent. “Sooyoung, answer me!”

Sooyoung breathed out a heavy sigh and leaned back. She drew her palms to her face and buried her face in them.

“She left.” A muffled voice passed through her palms and went into Yoona’s ears. “She said she wants to go home and I can’t say no to that.”

“No way…” Yoona didn’t want to give up on hope yet. “Fany unnie will come back right?” Sooyoung didn’t answer her. Being persistent, Yoona grabbed Sooyoung’s shoulder and nudged her, “Sooyoung, unnie will still come back right? She is not going to leave us forever, right?”

Sooyoung shook her head forcefully. “I don’t know Yoona-ah, don’t ask me.” She didn’t have the courage to tell Yoona what she witnessed. The dullness in Tiffany’s eyes and her desperation for departure, they all led her to one conclusion.

That Tiffany doesn’t want to be here anymore.

*

She had never felt so relaxed after exiting Aurales before. It was like throwing a large boulder off her shoulders, she could almost see freedom waving its hand at her.

Tiffany never knew it could be that easy to remove the burdens which she had accumulated in the past, but when she actually chose to throw them off her shoulders, she realized things were really simple and she was the one who complicated them.

But whatever, she was free from them already. She would leave everything she had gained when she was in Aurales behind and returned to the home where her parents’ tombs await her.

Come to think of it, her parents must be living happily in heaven since they were finally free from that curse. However, Tiffany was unsure if she had the rights to be happy for them because she was the reason why her mother went berserk and killed her father.

If there is a chance, she really wants to apologize to them for the tragedy.

Tiffany stuck her hands in her pockets absentmindedly while reminiscing her past. Her hand felt the box that was hidden deep within and it snapped her out of her thoughts. She pulled out the box from her pocket and opened it.

There, inside the box, was the couple ring she shared with Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon…”

She almost forgot about her.

Closing the lid of the ring box, Tiffany slipped it back into her pocket as she changed her direction and moved towards another location instead.

She is not entirely free from burden yet.

*

Yuri was just as shocked when she heard about Tiffany’s departure. Yes, she might be angry with Tiffany because of her attempt to hurt Jessica, but she wasn’t expecting her partner to leave because of it. Still, Yuri was not going to take up the blames for it. She wasn’t wrong at all. If she hadn’t slapped Tiffany and ‘woke’ her up from her ridiculous thoughts, there would be no end to her attempt in killing Jessica.

“I’m full.”

Sooyoung’s voice pulled Yuri back to reality. She lifted up her head just in time to see Sooyoung walking out from the dining area. She withdrew her gaze from the hunter in silence and averted it to the bowl which was sitting on desk before Sooyoung’s seat.

The rice looked the same as when it was served. Sooyoung didn’t have a single bite at all.

“I’ll take a look at her.” Yoona put down her chopsticks as well and left the dining table.

Her bowl of rice was the same as Sooyoung’s. She did not take a single bite too.

Yuri felt a soft object in her hand suddenly. She turned and looked at her blonde girlfriend who had an apologetic look on her face.

“I’m sorry.” Yuri heard her apologizing. “If it wasn’t for me, Tiffany wouldn’t have left and Sooyoung wouldn’t be angry with you. I…” She paused a little. “I shouldn’t have appeared. It was wrong for me to be––”

Her words were cut off by Yuri when the latter planted a swift kiss on her lips.

“I’ll be mad if you say that again, Sica.” Yuri warned her girlfriend sternly. She reached out an arm and caressed Jessica’s neck where the patch of dressing was located at. Her expression softened a little, “Anyone of us can be wrong, except for you. You’re not only the innocent one among us, you're also the victim. If anyone should say sorry, it should either be me or Tiffany.”

“But Yuri––” Jessica tried to argue further.

“Sica, she almost killed you! I know you’re a very forgiving person, but there are some things which you shouldn’t forgive so easily until the person admits their mistake and apologize to you!”

Jessica lowered her head and averted her gaze from Yuri to the bowl of rice in front of her instead. It seemed like she still refused to agree with Yuri’s theory.

“Sica…”

“I’m not as forgiving as you think I am.” Jessica blurted out suddenly, surprising Yuri with the content she said. “But I don’t want you to be stressed and depressed. Yuri,” Jessica lifted up her head and looked into Yuri’s eyes. “I knew you were just as upset when you learned that Tiffany had left.”

Yuri was at a loss for words. She had never expected anyone to know how she was feeling, especially Jessica.

“Giving me the same situation, I would've reacted the same way too, Yuri.” Jessica continued, with a rather helpless looking smile on her face. She clearly understood what the speechless expression on her girlfriend's face meant. She said softly, “Losing Tiffany is like losing an arm.”

Yuri pursed her lips tightly together.

“I admit I get jealous of her sometimes and when she does those things to me, I do feel terrible as well. Yuri, you may not believe this, but I am thankful for her existence.” Jessica slipped her hands into Yuri’s hands and held them tightly together. “If it wasn’t for Tiffany, there probably wouldn’t even be an ‘us’ right now.”

Yuri was confused. She asked hesitantly, “Why?”

“Hmm…” Jessica pondered for a second. “People change every day because of their surroundings and since Tiffany plays a big part in your life,” She shrugged and smiled at Yuri. “I believe you are who you are now mainly because of Tiffany. If you were Yuri with another personality, perhaps…” Jessica reached out her arm and cupped Yuri’s face gently. “I wouldn’t have fallen for you already. So I’m really thankful to Tiffany for this.”

Yuri captured Jessica’s hand and squeezed it against her cheek, “Why are you so kind, Sica?” She released her hand and sighed, encircling her arm around Jessica’s waist and rested her forehead on the blonde’s shoulder. “She has been treating you so badly ever since you came to Aurales, but you always forgave her.” Yuri lifted up her head and looked Jessica solemnly. “If only she was half good as you.”

“She isn’t that bad.” Jessica stated truthfully. “She has got her own strengths too.”

Yuri scoffed, “But that doesn’t justify her actions.”

“Yuri…”

“Sica, we’re getting nowhere like this.” Yuri stopped Jessica before the blonde could further persuade her lover. “I know you’re trying to help us and help her, but nothing can be done when she is the one who is being stubborn.”

Jessica sighed inwardly.

Tiffany is stubborn, but Yuri isn’t any better. Her persistent towards this situation is just the same as how Tiffany remains hostile towards her no matter how many times Yuri has tried to persuade her.

“C’mon, the food is getting cold.” Yuri picked up a piece of meat and placed it in Jessica’s bowl. “Let’s stop the discussion and have our dinner peacefully, okay?”

Understanding her girlfriend’s stress, Jessica complied with her request with a smile.

Partners influence one another, Jessica thought. Tiffany or Yuri, they are just the same.

*

The sun had almost set when Tiffany arrived at Taeyeon’s house.

As promised previously, Taeyeon was present and she approached the hunter even before the latter made her way across the bridge.

“Tiffany?” Though Taeyeon was happy to see Tiffany again, she was more surprised to find her outside her house at this kind of hour. “Why are you here?”

“You don’t want me to be here?”

“Of course I do!” Taeyeon denied almost immediately. If there was anyone who she wished to see right now, that would be Tiffany and only Tiffany. “Let’s get into the house. It gets chilly in the night.” Taeyeon grabbed Tiffany’s hand and led her into the house that was situated in the middle of the lake.

Taeyeon left Tiffany in the living room and headed to the kitchen to prepare a cup of hot tea for Tiffany. While preparing, Taeyeon never stop observing Tiffany. It was only a few days ago when Tiffany cried and demanded to stay with her, but… Taeyeon moved her gaze away from Tiffany as she poured the hot water from the kettle into the cup.

But she was acting so calm that Taeyeon couldn’t help but ask herself if whatever happened days ago was only a dream?

“Have a drink, it warms up your body.” Taeyeon served the cup of tea to Tiffany. She sat down next to her. “Have you had your dinner yet?”

Tiffany took a sip of the tea. She put down the cup and smiled at Taeyeon, “Have you eaten?”

“Um…” Taeyeon could only return her an awkward smile. She wasn’t expecting Tiffany to throw the question back at her. Shaking her head lightly, Taeyeon replied, “Nope.”

The smile on Tiffany’s face grew wider and her eyes curved into the shape of crescents automatically. Tiffany shifted herself closer towards Taeyeon and held her hands, “Shall I make dinner for the both of us?”

“Huh?”

“We haven’t done this for a long time.” Tiffany stood up and pulled Taeyeon along with her. “I’ll be the cook and you’re my assistant, make sure I don’t burn our dinner again.” She stuck out her tongue mischievously.

Cook? Assistant? Again?

Taeyeon could only stare at Tiffany blankly. She was unsure whether she had just heard Tiffany correctly or not.

The thing she mentioned… supposedly only happened between her and Stephanie, unless she forgot about sharing a similar scenario with Tiffany which she didn’t think was the case.

A frown was immediately plastered across Tiffany’s forehead when she noticed Taeyeon refused to budge. She swung their intertwined hands and pulled the dazing girl even harder.

“Tae! Come on! My stomach’s growling!” She stomped her foot and pouted at her. “Taetae!”

Taeyeon jerked up from her seat with surprise. “Yes? What?” She thought she heard someone addressing her with her nickname.

Tiffany tilted her head sideways and asked with her eye-smile, “Dinner?”

“Uh yeah, dinner!” Taeyeon finally regained her composure and answered with a smile.

Whatever! Stephanie or Tiffany… it only matters that they are together now and will be together again just like how they used to be in the past.