Chapter 024

EVERLAST: The Hunters

Chapter Twenty-Four

Both Yuri and Sooyoung were startled to see a crying Yoona. None of them had ever seen her acting like this before, even during those hardcore training days, never did Yoona cried no matter how unhappy she was.

The two hunters were lost for words. As much as they wanted to console their lovely dong-saeng, they couldn’t, because they had no idea what was the best way to cheer this crying girl up.

“Yoona…”

“Yoona!”

Two voices rang at the same time just when Yuri finally decided to say a few words of console. Yuri and Sooyoung turned to the other side of the roof to find Tiffany staring at Yoona with a very dark expression on her face.

Something is wrong.

“Fany, what’s going on?” Yuri asked. She was still holding on to Yoona.

Tiffany ignored Yuri’s question, her gaze never left Yoona.

“Yoona,” Tiffany called the tearful hunter again. “I won’t stop you. Make up your own choice and bear the consequences.” Those words might make Tiffany sounded nice, but anyone could sense the pressure and threaten enforced within it.

What on the earth is going on…

“Yoona, stop hesitating and make up your mind now.”

“Fany, stop it!” Yuri immediately stopped her partner before she went too overboard with this weird situation. She felt Yoona’s body trembled under her hands again. She couldn’t afford seeing Yoona having a mental breakdown right in front of her.

But Tiffany ignored her once again. She repeated herself, “Yoona––”

“TIFFANY, I SAID STOP IT!”

Yuri’s outburst finally made Tiffany tore her gaze away from Yoona and focused on her instead. She could see the anger, clearly, burning in her eyes. The sternness in her eyes was so strong that for once, Tiffany thought that she was going to be burnt by them. It seemed that they wanted to kill her and maybe, made her vanish from this world.

A bitter smile crept onto Tiffany’s face, but it was oblivious to Yuri and Sooyoung as they stood too far away from her.

Yuri had always been protective of her family (members of Aurales), especially her brother, Hyuk-Jun, and the three of them. She would never tolerant anyone bullies any one of them, even if one of them was the culprit.

Which was why, she would not blame Yuri for her ignorance. Besides, these arguments surfaced because of their desires to protect Yuri, though it might not seem that way in Yoona’s eyes, Tiffany knew exactly what she was doing and who she was trying to protect.

It is fine though, whether anyone understands her or not. She doesn’t need anyone to understand her. All she wishes from everyone is to not meddle or interfere with her matters.

It took quite a while until Yoona finally calmed down. She wiped the remaining tears on her face away and looked up. Yuri was staring at the space behind her that she failed to notice Yoona’s recovery. Yoona followed her gaze and found Tiffany staring back at Yuri.

“Who do you think is the one hurting Yuri if you were to tell her the truth?”

Yoona gritted her teeth when she recalled the conversation she had with Tiffany just moments ago.

“Will it be me? Or you? Think about it.”

Tiffany wasn’t wrong by saying that, in fact, look at them now. The always loving partners were glaring at one another as though they were enemies. And who was the one who caused this? It was her! Yuri was already agitated before she told her anything. What if she found out the truth? It might be worst. Yoona was very assured of that. Tiffany probably foresee it already when she told her not to reveal the secret to Yuri.

And now, the situation put her in a dilemma.

The truth would only put Yuri into more disappointment. Imagine when she learnt about Tiffany’s betrayal, being the always cheerful and happy-go-lucky person, Yuri would definitely hid her depression and let her heart bleed while hanging her usual smile on the outside.

Yoona didn’t want that to happen obviously, but if she chose to keep mum about it, she was no different from Tiffany for being a liar.

What shall she do then……

Suddenly, she felt a pair of warm hands covered her clutched fist. Yoona turned to Sooyoung in surprise, her partner was looking at her with worries written all over her face. Sooyoung was well-known for being a shikshin who only cared for foods, but now… it made Yoona felt even guiltier, after seeing how worried her partner had become.

“I’m sorry…”

Yoona finally came to a decision. She had to protect not only Yuri, Sooyoung, but Tiffany as well. As much as she wanted to tell them the truth, spilling out the truth would only hurt everyone here.

She doesn’t want to be a bad guy.

“I was angry with Tiffany unnie because she rejected my foods. I’m sorry unnie… I didn’t mean to scare the both of you.” Tears fell uncontrollably and Yoona quickly wiped them away with her other hand.

The answer took both Yuri and Sooyoung by surprise. They were expecting something more serious than this! Crying and being angry because of rejection (of foods) was absurd, and it was not like Tiffany never rejected Yoona’s food offer before.

Yuri’s instinct told her Yoona was lying, and the thing she lied about involved Tiffany.

Whereas on the other hand, Sooyoung thought she almost burst off when she heard Yoona’s reason. But then again, seeing how depressed the partner was, Sooyoung couldn’t bring herself to reprimand the crying hunter. Instead, she pulled Yoona into her embrace, her hair lightly as she consoled her, “Yah! Babo! If Tiffany rejects you the next time, just come to me alright? You know I never reject foods’ offer!”

Yoona couldn’t help but broke into a smile and chuckled lightly at Sooyoung’s speech. A shikshin is forever a shikshin and foods will always be her paradise.

“Yah! I see that you can smile now. Go wash up your face! You know you look really ugly with all those tears.” She nudged Yoona’s head in disgust, as if she was a dirty pest that would stain her fingers.

Yoona pouted at her, “That’s harsh.” So much for a comfort she got after dropping so much tears!

“I’m just speaking the truth!” Sooyoung glared at her. “Ugh, the more I look at you, the uglier I think you are! I think I will wash you up personally!” She encircled her arm around Yoona’s neck and dragged the poor girl out of the rooftop before she could even retaliate.

The commotion had finally ended and the rooftop returned to its silence again. Only the whistling of the blowing winds, and breathings of the two living souls who were still staring at one another, were left behind.

Yuri made sure Sooyoung and Yoona were gone already, only then she spoke, “What happened exactly?” She spoke with a low, but firmed voice. She was certain that there was something more to what Yoona said.

“You heard Yoona.”

“She is lying.” Yuri said affirmatively. She moved towards Tiffany. “I don’t believe she cried just because you rejected her offer. Fany, tell me the truth. What happened between the both of you?”

A heavy exhalation of breath was heard through her nose, Tiffany thought she should be relief already when Yoona decided not to expose Taeyeon’s existence, but it seemed that Yuri refused to buy her explanation.

“I threw her foods right away when she gave it to me. I guess that’s the reason why she cried.” She looked away and stared at the scenery again.

Yuri raised an eyebrow at her, “That’s not convincing enough.”

“I threw them away in an annoyed manner and she thought I was pissed off with her, that’s why she became so upset.” Tiffany continued to explain with her lies. She thought she could pass off as a brilliant actress already, she never knew she could act so well until she started to lie when questions, which were relevant to Taeyeon, were thrown at her.

“And why did you do that?” Obviously, Yuri still refused to believe her partner.

“’Cause I was thinking about you, Yuri.” Tiffany suddenly turned and stared deeply into Yuri’s eyes. She took small steps, minimizing the space in between the both of them and stopped when their noses were about to touch.

Yuri was caught off guard by that reply. She gulped in surprise. Yah… this is the second time of the day Tiffany’s been so close to her! No doubt she likes this kind of affection, but something seems weird somewhere.

“Wh… Why are you… thinking about… me?” Yuri stuttered through her words as she voiced out her query.

Tiffany lifted her arms and slid them across Yuri’s shoulders before intertwined them together as she leaned forward and hugged Yuri tightly.

She rested her chin on Yuri’s shoulder, “You have been acting so weirdly nowadays… I am just worried.” Tiffany closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Unlike the refreshing peppermint scent she smelled on Taeyeon, Yuri smelled like she was being soaked in some medical liquid. The usual flowery scent she had on her body was gone.

Tiffany frowned almost immediately, recalling Yuri was in the infirmary for the whole day.

“Fany…”

Tiffany released Yuri and returned to her original position before Yuri could return her hug. Now that she remembered how close Yuri was with that casualty, she lost the mood to maintain that almost romantic atmosphere anymore.

“How is that casualty?” Tiffany asked with her arms crossed. Her gaze landed on the patch of forest surrounding Aurales’ headquarters.

Speaking of which, that casualty… Jessica Jung, if she hadn’t remembered her name wrongly.

Tiffany had to admit Jessica is beautiful. She may not own an unique eye smile like Tiffany does, but the almond shaped eyes containing the pair of black sparkling orbs is more than enough to enhance the girl’s attractiveness. And not to mention the combination of her features is so awfully beautiful and perfect that…

It seems imperfect.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t really matter whether Jessica possesses a perfect appearance or not. Those weird images she saw the other day – when they held their hands together – is more than enough for Tiffany to suspect this blonde.

“You mean Jessica? She’s fine already and is resting in her ward now.”

“Yuri, I don’t like her.” Tiffany confessed her thoughts honestly.

Yuri was taken aback by her words, “Why?” She asked. Jessica might be a little violent, but she was nice and friendly, fun to be with, and it felt good to chat with her.

At least Yuri always relaxes whenever she sees Jessica smiling at her.

“Just…” Tiffany’s hand landed on Yuri’s shoulder. She squeezed it lightly. “Don’t get too close with her.” Though she did not have evidence to prove her worries and suspicions were valid, but it was better to take precaution now than to regret later.

Yuri took Tiffany’s hand in hers. “Fany, trust me, Sica is a nice girl. You will like her too when you get to know her.”

Tiffany simply drew her hand away and moved towards the exit. “I’ve already said what I want to tell you, Yuri. I hope you will listen to my advice, and also, I won’t change my impression on her.”

“Fany…” Yuri was determined to change Tiffany’s thoughts on Jessica.

“You know me. I won’t change my mind unless miracle appears.” And she left, just like that, leaving a speechless Yuri behind.

Yuri could only stared helplessly as Tiffany left the rooftop and entered the dark stairway. She couldn’t understand why Tiffany disliked Jessica so much. They only met thrice, including the first time when she carried a severely injured Jessica back to her car. It didn’t seem like they had engaged in any forms of communication when she wasn’t around, so what was with that reaction?

“Sigh…” Yuri sighed and looked at the sky above her.

The luminous dark blue hung above her head with tiny sparkles filled around the space. Far away, where it seemed like the border of the sky was the orangish backdrop colored by the setting sun. It blended so well and beautifully with the night sky that Yuri thought she was looking at a painting by some marvelous artist.

Her vexed mood immediately calmed down, a smile was spread across her face.

Maybe… I should share this beautiful scenery with her as a form of apology.