Chapter 6

Daydream

 

ZELO’s POV

I finished 4th round off, smirking from the cheering, knowing that I would beat this guy, too. I did, after all, rock the floor, and I was the king of this place. Smiling and slightly biting my lip in confidence, I watched his every move. He’s quite good. I furrowed my brows. Actually, he was great. He wasn’t like the others I had battled. Psh, he’s not winning. Ever. I reassured myself that I did a great job – that I did better than him. I looked at the crowd to see if they were still cheering for me. They were. Cheering louder for me, that is.

As the other guy turned to me, teasing me as if he thought he was going to win, trying to make my (fictitious) defeat even bigger, the crowd exclaimed “Ooouh” making everything even more dramatic than it actually was. After all, everyone knew how this was going to end. I finished my turn, thinking it was the end. I turned to the crowd and raised my hands to make their cheering even louder.

The chanting around me went louder. Once again, I felt like a king. A dancing saint. That’s when I noticed that the people around me didn’t focus on me. The chanting went even louder as the opponent’s style changed radically.  I turned to look at him; round-eyed, amazed, surprised. Where he got his moves from? I have no idea. He was like an alien, moving in a way not possible for human beings, moving so fast that details would be missed if you weren’t focused. Still, all of his moves were insanely smooth. He was a dancing saint.

With my mouth wide open, not knowing what to do, I watched my victory run away, screaming, begging for forgiveness, begging for its life. It was like a little tape with short arms, running around my head with its strip of film falling to the floor, dragging it along as it ran, leaving traces of absolutely nothing, just trying to entangle me. My heart fell when I realised who would walk away from this dance floor with an invisible trophy, flying around in the heavens looking down on everyone – myself included.

I have no idea how he finished off. The sound deadened in my ears, my head. For the first time, I was lost.  My heart stopped, then raced like hell, then stopped again for a while. My inside flamed and I bowed my head in shame, not wanting to meet the eyes of anyone. I can’t just walk out. Not now. I’m not a coward. So instead of just walking away, I stood there upright as if I was fearless and hadn’t even lost yet. I loosely low fived the guy and padded his shoulder, letting him know that he did a fantastic job. He smiled lightly at me not showing any kind of superciliousness which impressed me. In fact, he suddenly seemed quite shy.

As I tried to pass through the crowd, my eyes met someone I wished they hadn’t. Just by glancing up at him, I could tell that it was the guy, Bang Yong Guk. I snatched my head to the side, avoiding his eyes, slowly turned around and aimed for the door. My pride was gone in just a few seconds. How come I didn’t know about this dancing guy? “He’s not even a regular here” I mumbled for myself and frowned. I couldn’t get a hold of my thoughts as they danced around in my head.

The streets seemed empty and dull which was quite unusual at this time of the day. “Just let it go, Jun Hong,” I told myself and sighed into the cool night air. “It’s no big deal, it was just once!” nodding, I reassured myself that I had just had a bad day. I bit my lip and closed my eyes for a moment, standing still in the middle of the streets, trying to throw away my annoyance.

     “All alone, my little boy?” a hoarse voice asked behind me, whereupon different laughs could be heard. I tried to identify the voice. “Ya! I’m talking to you!” The voice and the laughter came closer. I could’ve sworn that I had never heard that voice before. My eyes quickly shut open as a firm hand took a tight grip on my shoulder and turned my body around in a split second.

The first thing I saw was a slightly rough face and eyes staring stiffly at me. I automatically tried to flinch away from the man, who was most likely the leader of the group, but his grip was too tight, and I was pulled right back.

     “Trying to run away, little boy?” the hoarse voice went on. A huge grin spread across his face and the owners of the laughs came forward, showing their military-like faces. The man’s face came close to mine as he opened his eyes wide. “Are you scared, little boy?” his voice childish.

      Sure, I was. But needless to say, these people drove me crazy and made me even madder than I already was. “I’m not a little boy,” I answered back persistently, stupid and reckless as I was.

     “What is that, I hear?”

     “I’m not a little boy!” Throwing the answer out there for the second time was probably the stupidest and most childish thing I could do, but I was too stubborn to act any different. I only registered the face of the man turn dead serious before disappearing into a short moment of darkness as a clenched fist hit me on the side of my head. I stumbled backwards. Before I could regain my balance his hands grabbed my scarf, almost choking me. The other men began laughing again. Another one, and I stumbled to the ground.

The leader smirked at me before raising his hand to hit me once again. I closed my eyes tight, preparing myself for another punch. I heard a big smack, but I didn’t feel anything... And yet another one... The sound of little manly gasps mixed in. I slowly opened my eyes just in time to witness the leader falling to the ground. The other men stood stiff and watched everything happen right in front of them, none of them daring to move an inch.

     “YA! Jugulle?!” The men jumped before fleeing with their leader right behind them. I blinked a couple of times to get a hold of myself. In a few seconds a hand reached down to me, inviting me to be helped on my feet again. It was first when I got on my feet that my saviour turned to look at me. His eyes widened.

     “You again?!” He sounded extremely mad, yet surprised.

     “B-b-bang Yong Guk?” I blinked several times, surprised by seeing him again like this. It was somehow embarrassing, but I was too thankful to let the embarrassment take over.

     “He’s even in my place of refuge” he mumbled. I had no idea what he was talking about, but that didn’t really matter anyway. I opened my mouth to thank him, but all of a sudden he hurried away leaving me clueless. Leaving me like an abandoned child in the enormous world.

 

 

 

Yaaay, Bang Yong Guk and Zelo-time~!
This was somewhat a serious chapter, but the next chapter will be more fun again, I promise. Back to Zelo’s childish side of himself, yay! :3
From now on, Ayo and I will try our best to update every other day!