Chapter 25

Daydream

 

Bang Yong Guk’s P.O.V.

 

I’d bought some sort of juice, sipping to it as I sat in the café, fiddling with the latest lyrics I’d written for a new song. It wasn’t like any other song I’d written before – there was something different about this one. Something that bothered me, but sounded so damn right when I quietly let the words fall off my lips, rapping the song out in a mutter.

     I groaned and closed the notebook, the pencil I was using falling to the floor. I finished the sour juice in one shot, got up and left the café, the notebook safe in my hand – figuring that it kept all my work, every song that I’d ever written, every melody I’d tried to put down to signs on a piece of paper, I had to keep it close to me; a belonging of mine that meant the far most to me.

     I headed home, taking a shortcut through a crowded, busy street. I passed the greengrocer store where I’d bought cherry tomatoes with Junhong, but turned down a side street before I reached the cake shop. I rushed down the smaller street, passing a few unnoticeable stores of junk before I stopped, catching something in the corner of my eye.

     I took a few steps back, turning around. “What the…?” I grabbed unto the piece of toy, laying in a big pile of all kind of different teddy bears – but, there was something different about this one. It was a bunny. Black and grey with white eyes, kinda funny shaped with long ears, and of some odd reason, young and offending features printed on the fabric. Apparently it was wearing a blue mask, some sort of key on its head? I chuckled, letting my fingertips slide across the face of the bunny.

     “You’re one of them, aren’t you? A machine?” I said, poking its stomach. “If I buy you… Will you follow my command? And only mine?” I smiled, turning the toy around in my hands. I noticed a label and got a little closer to read what it said. “Let’s see… ‘Ma..toki’?” I made a face, exhaling. “I don’t understand…” I shrugged and gazed into the store, trying to spot a store assistant. “E-excuse me? Can I buy this one?”

 

 

     “You got beer?” Himchan asked, a big smile on his face.

     I blinked a few times, but then nodded. “S-sure, I do…”

     “Great!” Himchan spun around and ran for the kitchen, heading straight for the fridge. “You want one?” He yelled, but I passed, hearing the fridge shut close again with a loud thud. He walked into the living room again, opening the bottle in his hand while smiling at me.

     I laughed, watching him hit the couch. “What up with you today?” I sat down on the armrest, as Himchan’s smile grew bigger.

     “I don’t know,” he shrugged, but it looked more like he was shaking off some shivers. “I’m just happy! And pumped!” He jumped a little, the beer nearly splattering all over the couch and him.

     I kept laughing, raising an eyebrow. “I see… What did you do last night, huh?” I teased, the smile on his face fading a little.

     He looked up at me with big eyes. “N-n-nothing. I didn’t do nothing,” he quickly looked away, clearing his throat while moving a little in his seat. “I’m innocent..”

     I let myself drop down beside him, nudging him in the ribs. “Come on, you can tell me,” I chuckled. “Are you getting soft?”

     “Huh?!”

     I shrugged, ignoring his staring eyes. “Soft. I mean…” I leaned in a little closer, watching him shiver as I continued. “Are you dating someone? You know… actually dating?” I teased, waiting for him to explode, push me away and yell at me. We both knew that Himchan didn’t date. He couldn’t manage seeing just one girl – I guess you could say he was easily tempted, not able to have a real relationship with just one girl going on. We both knew that…

     “N-no...” He muttered, looking away. “I’m not..”

     I couldn’t help but laugh, putting my arm around his shoulder. “So! Himchan has a girlfriend!” I teased, figuring that he could handle it. “What do you do? Hold hands? Giving each other butterfly kisses? Did you take her to that fancy restaurant? And up on the roof on a starry night? Where there roses? Did she fall for it like all the other chicks? So, what now?” I cleared my throat and stretched out my arm, looking at my hand as it slowly drifted through the empty air. “Himchan and his girlfriend… They’re walking in the park. No, by the beach! They’re holding hands…” I explained in a dramatic voice, holding onto Himchan as we both looked at my hand, picturing the scenarios. “What’s that? Engagement rings? Himchan has proposed? When’s the wedding, you two lovebirds? Now? Yaaa, it’s a beautiful wedding! Himchan is getting married to his dream girl, taking her hand into infinity,” I closed my eyes and smiled, finishing off my story with a teasing smile on my lips.

     “I-I…” Himchan said beside me, and I opened my eyes and stared at him, startled by the look on his face. Why wasn’t he punching me? Why wasn’t he denying everything I’d just said? Why wasn’t he complaining just one bit?

     “Ya, dude…” I squeezed his shoulder. “Are you seeing anyone?”

     “Huh?” He looked a little lost and confused, looking at me with those big eyes.

     “Hyung!” The front door had opened and I heard the voice I loved the most, his footsteps through the hallway coming closer. I let go of Himchan, getting up from the couch, suddenly sweating and stuttering myself.

     “H-Himchan, I d-don’t know... Maybe you s-should go?” I cleared my throat, looking down at Himchan. Even though he looked completely lost in his own thoughts, I was terrified of the fact that Junhong was just around the corner, seconds away from busting me.

     I shivered as I felt his arms lock around me. “Hyung, I’m back!” He smiled, embracing me. I nodded and acknowledged him, gently pushing him off me while looking down at Himchan.

     Himchan suddenly stood up, staring at Junhong. “Ah… Hello,” he then said in a shaky voice, bowing his head a little – making both of us stare right back at him.

     A tiny smile cracked Junhong’s lips as he greeted Himchan, blinking a few times as Himchan continued.

     “Junhong, right? I recognize you from the hospital… You’re Daehyun’s friend, am I correct?” He said as if he was speaking to a royal or something.

     Junhong nodded with a surprised look on his face. “Yeah…”

     “Oh, well, I just figured that…” Himchan started, his words eventually turning into a constant babbling.

     I discreetly leaned in close to Junhong, gazing at the talking Himchan. “What are you doing here?” I whispered, Junhong shrugging.

     “I wanted to see you,” he explained, staring at Himchan.

     I exhaled, running a hand down my face. “I told you to call first…”

     “I didn’t want to call.”

     “Ya, you can’t just break the rules!” I hissed, a wave of anxiety rushing over me as I felt him grab unto my shirt on my back.

     “I don’t follow rules,” he calmly said, annoying me a little even though I tried my best to keep the smile off my face.

     “If I make the rules you must obey them, okay?” 

     He exhaled, pouting a little. “Okay then,” he nodded, obviously not pleased.

     I joined his nodding, feeling some control returning to me. “Good, good… Now, listen and obey, okay? Don’t touch me.”

     “Huh?” He turned his head and looked at me, his eyes big with surprise.

     I made a gesture towards the lingering hand on my back. “Don’t touch me, okay?”

     “But I–“

     “Get your hands off me,” I cut him off, watching him make a face and then let go of me, both of his hands digging into his pockets. He exhaled and pouted, looking at the busy Himchan in front of us. I had no idea what he was talking about, but it just kept nodding and awkwardly smiling, giving him the illusion of me listening to him – I felt bad, but to be honest, I had more important stuff to deal with.

     “I’ll just safe it for later,” Junhong whispered, putting on a devilish smirk.

     “Huh? L-later?” I felt chills running down my spine. Later? What does he mean by later? Oh, please, God no… “No, I won’t accept it.”

     “But, hyu–“

     I shook my head, closing my eyes. “Nope. New rule. Don’t touch me until I tell you to,” I explained, opening my eyes and pointing at him.

     He looked furious, turning his head away in anger. “Damn rules… I won’t accept this!”

     I shrugged. “You’re gonna have to. I made them, you follow them,” I explained, Junhong groaning.

     “… And now that I think about it, I better leave,” Himchan said, looking down at his cellphone in his hand. “I’m awfully busy,” he said, nodding at me. “I’ll see you later, Yongguk,” he padded my shoulder and walked pass us, out the front door.

     “But, I–“ I exhaled; looking in the direction Himchan had disappeared. It was true: he was so busy these days – but also incredibly happy and lively. I didn’t complain; I liked seeing him like this, no matter how weird it might be. Even so, I hoped that he didn’t act like this I public – I knew that maintaining a good reputation in the undergrounds of Seoul was important to Himchan. And this–

     “Waaah!”

     I turned around, staring at Junhong’s excited face. “What?” I asked, rather concerned of what was going on, until I spotted the bunny in his arms.

     “This is awesome!” He said, looking at the toy.

     I shrugged and cleared my throat. “It’s a teddy bear, it’s nothing really–”

     “It’s a bunny, hyung,” he complained, not looking at me. “It’s so nice!” He held it close to him, hugging it as he smiled and closed his eyes. Yaa, such a baby...

     “Ya,” I grabbed unto it and the look on his face changed. “It’s not yours. I bought it,” I said, Junhong not letting me take the bunny from him.

     “No,” he said, not giving up as I kept pulling.

     “Ya, let go!”

     “No!”

     We fought a little, a smile spreading across my face. “Come on,” I laughed, Junhong shaking his head. “Junhong, come on!”

     “Hyung,” he said, raising his gaze. I stopped when I saw his face, the smile slowly fading. “Please~ Let me have it, yes?” He made a cute face, winking at me. I blinked a few times, completely stunned as I stared, my hands letting go of the teddy. Woah, that aegyo of his... “Hm? Look,” he turned the toy around in his hands, showing me it. “It looks like me, don’t you think?”

     I stared down at the toy in his hands. The machine… I looked up at Junhong again, realizing the similarity between them – without seeming to be so; he was and always would be one of them, one of the machines. A part of the family I seemed to hate and despise the most – the snobby and horrible citizens of the most repulsive and fancy part of town. Even so, he was so different, so… Junhong, yeah, that’s the word.

     I nodded, exhaling. “It doesn’t look like you,” I said, Junhong frowning. “It is you. Now, listen, I bought you,” I pointed at his face. “You follow me command, okay?”

     He made a face, hugging the bunny tight. “Yes… sir.”

     I smiled, nodding at him. “Perfect,” I exhaled watching his cute pout – cursing at myself in my head, as I felt how a dear friend of mine crawled into my mind, whispering sweet words. Greed, it hasn’t been long. I eventually gave up and turned my hand, letting my pointing finger leave him and in stead point at my mouth. “Now.”

     He blinked a couple of times, staring at me. “I don’t–“ he started, but cut himself off, blinking even more, the cutest expression spread across his confused face. He then took a step forward, seeming to get my point as he leaned in, kissing my lips.  



Surprise! :D Hope this was okay~ :D 
Announcement! Donotfear and I have just posted the foreword to our Christmas calendar “Haru”! :D Check it out – Bangzelo and Himdae will be featured~! :D http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/293974/haru-a-christmas-calendar-2min-christmas-jongkey-myungyeol-bangzelo-baekyeol-kaisoo