28.

Horizon

 

 

 

After a few minutes, they decided that it was better to move. They had to run a lot before they arrived in front of a huge door; Chanyeol was there, waiting for them with Baekhyun next to him. Wu Fan looked slightly better than a few minutes before, but he surely was still tired; Tao was helping him to stand, even if he too was feeling weak. "Okay, I don't know why, but it seems that some scientists want to help us. We found no one in the hallways." Suho mumbled as he glanced around him.

They couldn't hold for too long, everyone was tired and soon guards would be there, ready to fight them. Yixing's eyes were still red from crying, and he looked like he wanted to burst in tears. Sehun and Kyungsoo had dark bags under their eyes, their skin was pale and they looked like they didn't have been eating properly. Suho was the only one who didn't seem affected by what happened.

Chanyeol grinned and took a card from his pants. "It's easy to get out, the problem is we don't know where we have to go. This place must be really far from home. I think this is the exit door, we're lucky to have met here." He explained. Wu Fan seemed to like the idea of a home, since he muttered that word for a few times. He was in a haze, he couldn't understand things, he listened only to Tao and he kept repeating the words that had a deep meaning for him; he had used his power too much, it was clear that the experiment wasn't used to it. Chanyeol quickly passed the card above a security device and the door opened with a loud creak. The group went out, but it was too late when they understood that it wasn't the door of freedom. They were now on a rooftop, it was cold and it was snowing. The wind was blowing and it was dark, there was nothing around them but a few dim lights.

"How can this be possible?! I was sure it was the right door!" Chanyeol shouted. Luhan looked around, lost, but after a few seconds he gasped and pointed at something in the sky. "Look! It's a helicopter!" Everyone rose their heads, and backed, letting it land in front of them. They didn't expect it to arrive, but they were incredibly worried: it was there to help them, or to kill them? Their answer arrived immediately. A young man with a cute smile waved at them. "Hop on, we're going home!" He told them with a grin. "Xiumin! Oh, yes, let's go!" Jong In was ecstatic, he was jumping, his eyes could only show joy. The group jumped on the helicopter, and they fled away, as a few scientists finally came on the rooftop and screamed profanities at them.

 

They landed near a small village. They were tired, but happy, satisfied, they could taste freedom and it was perfect. A group of farmers gave them their food and beds, and even if they weren't the best, it was enough. They really couldn't return back to their previous house, probably it was destroyed, but the thing it hurt the most was leaving it behind. Their things were still there, they were sure: their memories, their clothes, their precious everything. They had left it there, and who knows if they were going to see them again.

It surely didn't feel like home, but they were okay with that, since everyone was still alive. Tao and Wu Fan fell asleep in each other's arms just as they lied on the bed; they were tired and they missed doing that. It wasn't easy, but they were ready to face many problems. In the same room as theirs, there were Yixing and Suho. Project Angelus was looking with great sadness at the couple, but he did nothing; he wasn't ready to leave his love for Wu Fan behind him, not yet. Yixing sighed heavily and hugged himself to sleep. Not long after he did that, Suho lied next to him and covered the both of them.

 

Jong In didn't know how Xiumin and Chen had found them, but who cares? He was free. The only problem was that he didn't like the idea of being the alien who destroyed pretty much everything. He didn't have the time to read the last reports, but he remembered the scientists' amazed and scared faces; maybe he really was an alien, and if it was his fault of that cruelty and sadness, then he would become the one who was going to change everything. He was ready to bleed and to fight, he wasn't scared to die if that meant to help the entire humanity.

He couldn't remember really well what happened in the prison. He knew he was afraid of dying and afraid of losing his family, he knew he had cried a lot and he could remember Tao's soft voice that tried to calm him and make him sleep. He still had to thank his friend: Tao decided to be strong for the both of them and God knows how much he suffered during those days, maybe months, inside their prison. Jong In had a nice dream where he walked with no fears in the empty hallways and finished his journey in front of Kyungsoo's cell. The dream felt so real, and even after so much time he could feel the man's lips on his own. Kyungsoo looked so beautiful, and it felt strange because he had never thought of him in a particular way. He felt lucky to have him, the young man seemed happy as he lied in his arms.

Jong In smiled weakly. Yes, he knew that he could do whatever he wanted with the right person next to him. He was going to save the world.

 

The day after their escape, Xiumin and Chen arrived with two big boxes full of things. The entire group was glad to see that the two young men saved some of their precious belongings: Wu Fan's red scarf, Tao's metal box, and there were books, clothes and photos, too. "Everything is intact, we just brought you something so you guys won't miss too much your home." Xiumin explained with a gentle smile. "You can go there, but not yet, the government is searching for you." Luhan frowned, not happy with those words. "So those scientists worked for them… No wonder they already have new laboratories. This society is really corrupted." He snarled. Yixing hummed, but said nothing and he gave him a sad smile.

"Where are we, anyway?" Chen grinned, he suddenly seemed pretty excited. "One of the scientists told us to come here! He wanted to help you and give you a small present." He explained. "Actually, it's a present for someone in particular." He clasped his hands together and everyone looked at him, curious. "It's for you, Wu Fan! We're in your home town!" The experiment kept quiet for a long time, as he stared at them with a blank face. "My home town?" He repeated slowly, like he had never said those words before. Chen and Xiumin nodded, smiling. "That scientist gave us your report, it said where you were born. You probably want to know what happened to your family, am I right?"

Wu Fan didn't answer and looked behind him, where people were chattering and children were playing. He didn't remember any of this. Everything looked different, but he couldn't remember what the original village looked like. "I don't know, is this really my home town?" He asked quietly. Xiumin and Chen's smiles disappeared, but the experiment didn't spare them a glance. He was complete with Tao, he didn't need memories anymore. He was broken, but with his mate he was fixed, complete. Chanyeol kept looking at him with a sad gaze; it seemed that the experience in the new laboratories worsened Wu Fan's condition. His mind wasn't as steady as before, and it seemed that he was cautious, just like when they first met each other. When, a few minutes before, he had put a hand on Wu Fan's shoulder, the experiment had jerked away, as if he was afraid of his touch.

It saddened him, knowing that Wu Fan was that lost. At this rate, he wasn't going to be able to recognize his mother nor his old house. Chanyeol sighed and ruffled his own hair as he glanced at Tao and Wu Fan walking away from the group. The younger man was smiling softly, pointing at some children not far from them. Wu Fan seemed scared by them, but he didn't do anything. He was whispering sweet words to his lover, he didn't care about his old family. Chen sighed and took an envelope from his bag. "This was for him, but he doesn't want to listen, so I'll read it to you."

He took a deep breath and opened it, then he started reading.

"Wu Fan.

Your hometown has changed a lot. You won't recognize it, because many building were blown off and many others were built. At this time, your mother and grandmother are still alive and they are living there. Your sister is alive, too, but she had suffered from some experiments and now she's mentally unstable. Your mother keeps receiving money from the government, to cover your absence and your sister's illness.

She's quite rich, now, she has the biggest house in your home town; she has stayed there because she felt guilt after she had sold you and she's still waiting for you to come back home from work. Your grandmother is old, but she remembers everything, she wants to see you once again.

I'm sorry, Wu Fan. Your life is ruined. Probably you won't live normally anymore, but I know you will if your mate will stay next to you.

Goodbye."

Chen looked up from the letter. The group was silent, no one could understand why a scientist wanted to help Wu Fan, but they knew they had to meet the experiment's old family. They were waiting for him, after all. "There a house on the hill, it's the biggest in town. It seems that we have to go there." Xiumin mumbled, still surprised. The group nodded just as Wu Fan and Tao came back next to them. "Did you hear, Wu Fan? We need to go to meet grandma, mom and little sister. Aren't you happy?" Tao asked to his lover, talking to him slowly, whispering, like he was speaking to a small lost child. Wu Fan smiled weakly. "I miss grand-mother." He murmured. Suho sighed as the tall young man took the letter to read it carefully. It seemed that Wu Fan could remember something from his life before of the laboratories, he just hoped that he was simply tired and he needed some time to recover.

The scientist glanced at Yixing, who was slightly glaring at Tao. It was going to be difficult: there were people of the government wanting them dead, and they couldn't run away forever. In a few days or weeks, a new war was going to start.

 


A/N:
You had to wait a lot, huh? Sorry, I had a lot to do for school! ^^;
Okay, what do you think of this chapter? It's quite long! *O*
Write me! I'd like to have your opinion! >w<

Also, write me on my tumblr! *O* I'll be happy to write you back! :3
If you have some ideas for an EXO fanart, tell me! I need motivation! T__T

 

Asakusahime: See? They're alright, they got out of there :3

xTaeMinX: OMG thank you so much! ;_; *hugs*