23.

Horizon

 

 

Jong In couldn't sleep well. He was in pain and he had only nightmares, so he didn't want to fall asleep. Tao was next to him; his lip was bleeding and there was a huge bruise on his right eye. He didn't look at his body, but Jong In was sure he was full of cuts and other bruises. Tao was caressing his head, a tentative of making him more calm and comfortable. The younger man felt better with him, but he was still really worried.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol weren't far from them, so they could talk and keep in touch; but nobody knew nothing about Kyungsoo, Sehun, Luhan and Wu Fan. Jong In could see the sadness in Tao's eyes, because he was thinking of his mate. Both of them couldn't imagine how desperate were feeling those two ex-experiments without their love. Anyway, Jong In couldn't help but feel scared. Did those scientists already killed Kyungsoo and Sehun?

His wonders were interrupted by another scientist who entered followed by his assistant. The man walked near Jong In, under the scared eyes of the two prisoners, and quickly stabbed the younger man with a needle. The scientist took many samples of blood, as Jong In whimpered and Tao watched at them with wide eyes. He took off the needle and his assistant pressed on the wound. The man started writing something on a fold and after a minute they left, leaving there the papers.

Jong In closed his eyes. Why they took his blood? They weren't doing nothing to Tao, though. The older man stood up and took the papers, frowning. "I don't understand what's written in here." He mumbled. Jong In patted next to him and Tao sat there with a worried look. "There are some words in red, I think it's important…" The younger man took the papers and started reading carefully. As he kept reading, he felt even more scared and when he finished he just wanted to disappear.

"What happened?" Tao asked. He shook his head, but he couldn't stop the tears falling from his eyes. The older man took his hand and caressed his wet cheeks. "T-they think I'm an alien, just like Luhan… They want to awake my hidden powers… What are they thinking?! They're crazy!" Tao gasped slightly at his words, but hugged him tightly in attempt to make him feel safe and loved. There was no way he was an alien… Right?
Jong In slowly started doubting himself. He didn't remember much of his childhood and he was always treated like he was a kind of a monster.

He started trembling in Tao's arms and kept sobbing loudly. "We'll run away and start living a new life… Don't worry, Jong In, I'm sure there's a way to escape from this prison. Don't be sad, we love you anyway…" Tao's reassuring words calmed him a bit, and thanks to his slow caresses, he fell asleep.

 

A loud noise startled Tao. He looked at the door, but saw nothing. He slowly got up, careful not to awake Jong In who was exhausted, and tried to peek. He finally saw a pair of guards who were tugging Wu Fan. He gasped loudly; his lover's body was full of cuts and dirt, bruises covered his arms. He had red eyes, but they looked empty. He was following the guards without putting a fight; he seemed an obedient dog.

"Wu Fan!" He shouted. Tao didn't care anymore of Jong In's sleep, he was far too worried for his lover. "Wu Fan!" He called again. The taller man finally looked up with a hopeful gaze. Tao started crying and grabbed the cell bars. The guards opened the door and blocked him; the young man was brought near Wu Fan, who tried to hug him as another guard held him back. "W-Wu Fan…" He cried. Even if they weren't okay, he was happy to see him.

The guards exchanged a glance and released them. Both Tao and Wu Fan were surprised, but it lasted a second; they hugged tightly, crying hard. They kissed passionately, without caring of the guards who were still there, looking at them. Only after a long minute, they were forced to stay away from each other. "I'll save you." Wu Fan whispered to him. "I'll kill those bastards who hurt you. I promise you." They were threw in a dark room, and they immediately wrapped they arms around each other.

Tao was shaking hard, afraid of what it could happen next. Wu Fan kissed his cheeks and tightened his arms around the younger man's waist. "What have they done to you?" He asked quietly. Tao hid his face on Wu Fan's chest. "They wanted the time machine project… They thought I could make another one." He answered. They were interrupted as an old scientist arrived.

He kept silent for a long time, and Tao felt even more scared. He shut his eyes and started praying; he wanted to stay alive, with Wu Fan next to him. He wanted to be happy and free. The scientist finally spoke. "My dear experiment, are you glad to be with your mate?" He asked. Wu Fan glared at him. "More than just that." He growled. The old man hummed. "Please, explain to me." Tao opened his eyes. The scientist looked tired and his eyes had a sad spark in them.

Was he there just to talk? "He's my whole world. Nothing matters when I'm with him." Wu Fan said with a resolute look. "When he's happy, I am too. When he's sad, I'm sad. I don't care if I'm going to get hurt; all that matters is to see him alive." The old man looked surprised. "Tell me, how do you feel about your mate's bruises?" Wu Fan growled once again, this time he was even angrier than before. "I'm furious! I could have protected him… But your stupid co-workers kept me away from him! I'll kill whoever did this to him!"

The scientist nodded. "I think I understand. You don't have to worry anymore, your mate won't be harmed anymore. I know that he won't be of any help for the time machine project. We won't kill him, if it means that you will continue to live." Tao felt a bit relieved. He was safe… For the moment. Wu Fan, though, wasn't exactly content with the old man's explanation. "What are you going to do with me?" He asked. The scientist shrugged. "Who knows? I'll tell you one thing: I'll be the one who will control you and your friends… I want to help you. I find no interest in hurting you. I don't feel the need to experiment on your bodies. Though it's a bit late for that tall young man…"

Tao stared at him, surprised. "Can you tell us… Why do you think Jong In is an alien?" The scientist smiled weakly. "Many years ago, a ship arrived from outer space. Some beautiful aliens had visited our planet… They weren't violent, so humans became their friends. But one day, a group of people killed some of the aliens who felt immediately betrayed. The cursed us, and one of them, the strongest one, ruined our planet with his powers. He died after that, and his soul kept wandering for years in humans' bodies." He shook his head and sighed heavily.

"One of the reasons that these experiments started was for revenge on the aliens. Scientists were looking for the lost soul for a long time… We think it might be your friend Jong In." Tao gasped and started crying once again. It couldn't be, no…! They wanted to kill him with their own hands, but he was sure that Jong In had never thought of hurting the entire humanity. It wasn't his fault… Why humans were so cruel?

"They want to destroy him, but don't try to worry; I'll be there to help you. Your friends are alive, and I want nobody to die." The scientist continued talking. Wu Fan just stared at him. "I regret what I have done to many people. I want to help you." With those words, the old man walked away, leaving alone the couple. Wu Fan and Tao didn't know what to do; they stayed in each other arms until two guards arrived and took them back to their cells. The younger man left his lover with tears still in his eyes and Wu Fan kissed him for a last time before the cell's door was closed.

Tao had never felt so strong the need to be with Wu Fan; he started to understand how his lover felt without him. He tried to wipe away the last tears and turned around. Jong In was awake and he was staring at him with a worried look. "W-what happened?" He asked as Tao walked near him. "When I woke up you weren't there. I was scared." The taller man sat next to him and hugged him tightly. "I got to see Wu Fan. An old scientist talked to me… He said he'll try to save us." Tao felt Jong In trembling slightly. They were both afraid. They didn't want to die, not yet and not in that prison.

Another shout was heard. Tao glanced outside the cell and saw some men running in the corridor. They were doing more experiments… He just hoped to be lucky enough to see all of his friends alive. He didn't care anymore of the bruises on his body; he was more than ready to do anything to save Jong In from a sad fate, because he didn't deserve it. Another scream made Tao and Jong In tighten their hug. They were both weak, but he was sure they could escape. During the long nights, Tao dreamt of Wu Fan and his warm kisses, of Baekhyun and Chanyeol and their smiles, of Luhan and Sehun and their jokes, of Kyungsoo and his quiet presence that always made him feel safe.

He would wake up to Jong In's muffled sobs and his heavy heart would tell him to make them stop. Tao was determined to do everything to have his family back.

 


A/N:
Ahhh, sadness, sadness! ;w;
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a comment ^^

Sorry if I don't reply to you every one of you guys, I LOVED your reactions, but I can't say much to you XD
To everyone: don't worry, I read your precious reviews! <3

NicoLovesMe: WHAT seriously, you read all 22 chapters in one go?! *^* Omg I loved your comment XD

0yuc33: Don't worry, you didn't offend me at all! I'm glad you wrote me that, so that I can improve my writing ^O^ I'll try harder, since English isn't my mother-tongue language I feel insecure. Also, I don't have a beta, this is why you might find some mistakes! TT_TT Was it better like that? I tried to pay attention. ^^

Le_Chat_Noir: I thought you were dead! T__T I'm so happy to read your comment, I hope to see soon another one! <3