The Morning After

The Way We Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Dara POV)

Now, I got myself a new place - staying at the hotel pent house. Thanks to the generous amount of money my parents placed in my bank account. Now, all I have to do is find a job to fend for myself.

This had been a long night, I’m so exhausted. Many things have happened in just one day. My mind’s too tired to think of anything else for now. I settled myself in my new home. I fixed my things and took a shower right after.

I lay in bed that night. I wanted so bad to take a rest. I’m so tired of all that’s happened in my life. This definitely is one birthday I’d never forget.  I wanted to take a rest from all of it. Just this once, I’d like to not think of anything.

No matter how hard I try, I just can’t seem to get things off my mind. Every time I try to sleep and close my eyes, I could see his face. Could it be that I love him? That could never happen. I keep on convincing myself that what I feel for Jiyong is nothing more than love for a brother.

I knew myself too well to believe it. Why do I feel this way? Why does the kiss we’ve shared melt my heart as I try to remember the feel of his lips on mine? I love him. My heart ached as I admitted that truth to myself. I love him and I can’t deny it. I at least owe it to myself to finally let my emotions flow freely from my heart. I love Jiyong, but we could never be. Now, I have to move on and forget this feeling I have before I even have the chance to express it to him. I love you, Jiyong but I’ll have to forget about you. She thought as she fell into a deep slumber.

(Jiyong POV)

Dara… It was only now that she’s gone did I realize what I truly felt for her. I loved her dearly as my sister; and she and Umma are the only women in my life. Between Dara and my mother, it had always been Dara by my side. With her, I never felt alone and I felt loved and cared for. I’ve always had this special feeling toward her. I didn’t want to be away from her, I always wanted her to be by my side and you may call me selfish but I never wanted her to be with someone other than me.

That night when I knew of her being an adopted child, I was so occupied thinking about how I felt so neglected by my parents because she’s the one they shower with affection, that the moment I heard the truth out of my father’s mouth, hatred was immediately what I felt. Without thinking, I let my emotions overwhelm and get the best of me…

Now, when I think about it, what I really felt was hatred over the possibility that her, being adopted would mean that I’m going to lose her. Funny how I said I was jealous of the attention our parents give her, when in fact, the only attention that I wanted and needed was hers. I realize that I could live a life being neglected by others as long as she’s by my side.

Why am I realizing all these now that it’s already too late? She’s gone and she probably won’t come back. The one thing I never wanted to happen actually DID happen. I tried to stop her. God knows I tried. I laid my feelings on the line for her. I showed her what I feel in my heart. I put it all in that one kiss. All that I felt for her, I tried to express in that kiss I gave her.

That time, I wanted so badly for her to kiss me back and let me know she felt the same way. I was about to give up and pull away when I felt her arms go round my neck as she responded to my kiss. My heart wanted to burst out of me from so much happiness. I felt hopeful that she too, loves me the same way I do. However, that happiness was short-lived as she pushed me away and left.

My world ended – the pain was worse than dying. I can’t believe how God let me feel that kind of happiness only to take it back, away from me so quickly. I was oblivious to what had happened then, the last thing I remember was her, pushing me and running away. I was left dumbfounded and realized that I was now alone in that quiet street.

Dara… I couldn’t stop her. She left and it was my fault.

(Narrator POV)

Jiyong had been in his room for a long time now. He refuses to eat or even leave his room no matter how the maids or even his father would knock at his door and call for him.

“Jiyong must’ve been really mad at us” a sad Mr. Kwon came back at the dining area after trying to call to Jiyong to join them.

“He must be. But both of us know that we can’t really blame him” Mrs. Kwon responded.

Mr. Kwon just nodded at his wife and sipped his coffee.

“Don’t worry. I’ll try this time. I’ll talk to him” she assured her husband who’s turning to be depressed about it already.

Mrs. Kwon stood up and went to her son’s room. She reached the door and knocked a few times before she opened it a bit and called for him “Jiyong, honey? I’m coming in…”

“I said I didn’t want to eat.” She heard him say. She went inside and sat at the edge of h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter