Home

The Way We Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara was running without any intention to stop. She isn’t mindful as to where she is anymore. All she wanted was to get as far away from that hall as possible. Tears blur her vision for she’s been crying so hard now.

What just happened? I was so happy – it’s my birthday…

Everything was going fine…

Why?...

All Dara could do is cry even more. She felt her world shatter before her eyes and wished for the ground to just swallow her whole. Her family – her family that she loved so much, she felt them farther away from her with every step she make. She wanted so bad to wake up from this nightmare. She wanted to go back to her loving family. She wanted to stop feeling this way.

Dara came to a sudden stop – panting, catching her breath. She had run far enough from the hall that when she looked back, she couldn’t see it anymore. She continued - walking. She had stopped crying now. Her eyes had become dry and there are no more tears left for her to cry. She’s staring blankly ahead, trying so hard not to think of the events that happened awhile ago.

Then, she came across a familiar place. She looked up at the sign and a weak smile came out of her. Her eyes are starting to well up again, seeing that place. She stepped closer and reached for the door. She came inside the building and surprisingly, it calmed her. She felt safe. She walked cautiously around and her feet just dragged her along. She passed by a bulletin board and looked at what’s in it.

It’s been a long time…

(Dara POV)

I felt a hand on my shoulder as I was about to get lost in trance looking at the pictures of some of the most adorable kids I’ve ever seen.

“May I help you?” An old lady asked me “What brings you here so late at night?”

“Nothing, really” I turned my back and smiled at the owner of that familiar voice. “I just missed it here.”

“Dara?” Sister Cherry asked surprised. She’s gone older now and lines filled her face. She looked at me from head to toe as if verifying my identity.

I had to chuckle as I nod in response. “It’s been a long time…”

“OMO! It’s really you!” Sister Cherry said as she gave me a tight hug.

I hugged her back and laughed at her reaction upon knowing it was me. Somehow, coming to this place saved me. It made me forget everything for a while. I was glad I came here. I was glad my feet dragged me here. I haven’t been here since the day I left but I still remember how it looked like. It hasn’t changed a bit.

Sister Cherry came back with a tray of tea and biscuits. She sat across me and poured me a cup. I smiled and thanked her.

“You’ve grown up. How have you been?”

“I’ve been great. Thank you. How are things here? I see nothing much had changed”

“Well, true. The only thing that change here are the kids that come and go.”

“It’s really nice to be here again. I’ve had good memories here. You know – running and playing around. It’s not that many. I was just 3” I laughed.

Sister Cherry and I talked about a lot of things. She asked how I’ve been and what I’ve been doing. We’ve had a long conversation, exchanging stories about each other for the past 15 years. It felt good talking to her.

“By the way, Happy Birthday. I couldn’t get you anyth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter