The 5-month Countdown

The Way We Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up the next morning with a throbbing pain in my hand. Seeing the bruises in my knuckles, I remembered what happened last night. I stayed in bed, lying, feeling numb from the anger I feel inside. For 14 years, I’ve been a fool believing all their lies.

*FLASHBACK*

9 years ago

(9-year old Dara, 5 year-old Jiyong)

"Jiyong~!! Stop doing that. I told you not to play with your food." Jiyong stopped and looked at his mother with his adorable puppy eyes he knew she couldn't resist.

"..and don't give me that look young man. Now, finish your food." Mrs. Kwon said as she ruffled her son's hair.

"Umma, where's Dara noona?" he asked as he ate.

"She's still at school, honey. Do you miss her that much?"

"Aniyo. " he lied "I just want to play with her now"

"Don't worry, she'll be home soon"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jiyong~ie!!!" Dara run toward her little brother playing in the garden.

"Noona!! You're out too long. I've been waiting for you. C'mon now. Let's play" holding his sister's hand, Jiyong dragged her to where he was playing. The two played for hours and their laughter can be heard throughout the house. Mrs. Kwon watched happily as her children played.

Jiyong and Dara lied on the grass panting, too tired from running and chasing each other.

"That was fun noona. You're the best playmate and sister ever!"

Dara chuckled "You're too cute. I had fun too, but we better go inside now. We have to take a shower - we kinda smell."

"Noona?"

"Hmm?"

"We'll always be together right? You know, you're the only sister I have and I don't want you gone."

"Of course. Where would I go huh?"

"I don't know. but now you said it. You're not going anywhere. You can't!" Jiyong stuck his tongue out and run toward the house.

Dara could just smile. You are really sweet, Jiyong~ie.

*End: FLASHBACK *

Jiyong splashed water on his face. He stared at the mirror looking at his angered face before he reached for the towel and headed out of the bathroom. He remebered how he and Dara used to play back then. They were really close and loved each other. For Jiyong, remembering it now, adds up to the hatred he feels in his heart.

That girl had been lucky enough having my parents for almost 18 years. This has got to stop.

I went down to have breakfast and all of them are there already.

"Good Morning Jiyong~ie, c'mon now,let's eat." She called after me. Without looking at her, I went and sit at my place on the table. We began eating.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter