Change of Heart

The Way We Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Dara POV)

Walking through the busy streets on the way back home, I thought about Jiyong. We were wrong for not telling him the situation but really, why the sudden rage? I know that he understood it when Umma told him how they just wanted for us to treat each other like real siblings.

Should my being an adopted child change everything?

I really don’t understand. We grew up really close. We spend almost all our time together and we’re always happy.

He kissed me.

The moment we danced on that floor, he had been acting weird. He seemed to not treat me as her sister anymore. I knew he purposely did that to make me uncomfortable. But why? Why did he have to kiss me? Was that his way of telling everyone, “Hey look! I kissed her cause she’s not my sister” – that was really uncalled for. Didn’t he think that it would affect his parents worse that it would me? I really wanted to talk to him and make things clear. I feel it’s not a good time, though.

What should I do? I know he doesn’t want to see me but we live on the same roof. I don’t want to make things hard for him anymore. Maybe I should just leave. But where am I gonna go?

Oh, I know... I’ll just use my savings to find a place for my own. I’ll look for a job. – That’s a good start. That’s it! I felt relief for having a clear plan for myself and before I knew it, I reached our house.

(Narrator POV)

Dara came home and saw her parents anxiously waiting for her. “Where have you been? We were so worried about you” Mrs. Know hugged her holding back her tears.

“I was… I went to… Well, I went to see Sister Cherry” She explained.

“Dara…” Mr. Kwon called “We are so sorry for what happened. We never thought it would come to this. It really is our fault. We can’t blame Jiyong for his actions but you really didn’t deserve that” he almost pleaded.

“Aniyo. I should be the one apologizing for troubling this family.” Dara looked at them both. “If it wasn’t for me, Jiyong wouldn’t act this way. Maybe you three would be a happy family.”

“What are you talking about Dara?” Mrs. Kwon held both her shoulders and looked straight in her eyes. “You are part of this family. You’re our daughter.”

“But…”

“No Dara” Mr. Kwon disrupt Dara’s words. “We may not be related by blood but you are our daughter, and you’ll always be”

“Dara, you know Jiyong” Mrs. Kwon continued. “He didn’t mean what he said. He’s just shocked right now. He loves you and later on, he’ll understand.”

“I hope so. And thank you for your kind words. I’m really grateful for having you as my family. But I think, I should leave this house.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“I think I shouldn’t be living here anymore because it might be hard for Jiyong to see me every day if we live on the same roof. I don’t want to give him any more things he’d get upset about. I’m sorry but I’ve already made this decision."

“But Dara, that’s…” her mother tried to stop her

“I think she’s right” Mr. Kwon said “Besides, people would start talking and it wouldn’t be good for both of them” he added.

“But where is she gonna stay?”

“Appa... Umma… It’s okay. You don’t have to worry about things like that. I think I’ve troubled this family enough.” She told them “I’m 18 now. You raised me really well that I think I could leave and be on my own now. Don’t worry about me.”

Her parents didn’t want to agree but the look in her eyes, showing the determination and finality of her decision; they knew they couldn’t stop her anymore.

“OK, Dara, if that’s your decision, we’re going to trust you” Mr. Kwon said

“I wouldn’t stop you as well, Dara. You know, you really don’t have to do this but I trust you and I believe you’re going to do well.”

“Thank you Appa… Thank you Umma…” Dara cried as she hugged them “Thank you for everything. I’m very happy to have you guys as my parents. I’ll never forget you”

“Hey… stop talking like this would be that last

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter