Meeting Her

Things I'm Not Supposed To Do

The First Thing I'm Not Supposed To Do: Assuming

*Min Hee's Japanese name is Mizu*

Taemin, Jonghyun-hyung, and I were in the SBS studio for Star King. That day, we were filming a special SK episode about how the Hallyu Wave has affected Japan nightlife. I was really curious about what we would see that day. Apparently, there wasn't that many special guests but they had large time segments each so it must be something intreresting? 

Taemin was the most excited and Jonghyun was wondering if we would get to see any Japanese beauties. Keke this guy, even with a gorgeous actress for a girlfriend...tsk tsk hyung but I can't blame him for wondering. We are guys no matter what. Even Taemin thought about it but his guess is that we would see more impersonation groups like the groups from Thailand. 

I wasn't sure why but I felt like that day would be important. Not just to me, but overall. Something was going to happen that day. I just knew it.

The lights dimmed and the show started. Ho Dong-sunbaenim joked around with Leeteuk-hyung and Eunhyuk-hyung about how they were trying to check out the guests for today. Leeteuk-hyung said that he saw a few hairy legs so he stopped O.o why hairy legs? It's not going to be like that giant muscular guy that danced Change with Hyuna-ssi right? Ah...I'd rather not remember that day >_< fans never get enough of that moment. I don't know the song! Why would I know that the ing part starts later on? Besides, I thought they would play that part right away. I guess I made the mistake of assuming things back then too now that I think about it.

Before introducing the guests, a video was shown taken during in a nightclub in downtown Tokyo that's gaining fame in Japan quickly? Why? Because they take Korean artists songs and perform them, including SHINee! I was surprised to see a clip of guys dancing to Love Like Oxygen. It's been a while haha

Suddenly, a large group of people came out from behind the screen and started dancing a medley of some of the most popular songs of 2010, including SHINee's own "Lucifer." I felt a surge of pride when it played. The dancers were good and some of them even sang! I think that was the most surprising part. They don't just dance to K-pop songs but they were singing them too and their voices were nothing to pass off as amateur. With some training, all of them had great potential. 

There were a lot of them too. 7 guys and 10 girls. As I listened to the translator explain their background to us (being told by undoubtedly the leader of the group in Japanese), I noticed some of them were looking around at all of us idols on the side which doesn't come off as a surprise to me but then they started paying more attention to the audience and each other. There were five girls in particular that I could tell were the closest, which included the speaking leader. 

Apparently, most of them went to school together and joined the Dance Performance Club. Eventually, they started going to competitions and even getting hired to dance at nightclubs certain nights. They had tried K-pop a few times but once their newest member joined, they all became deeply immersed and practically obsessed with it. Once they started doing K-pop songs at the most recent club that hired their group on a weekly basis, the club had a line that you had to wait at least two hours before you can actually get in.

They became local idols and you could even buy videos of each individual member of their group, like the merchandise most companies make of their groups now. It got to the point that for nearly all of them, dancing at the club was the only job they had and it was enough to make a good living! Only one member was still in school, the maknae, Min Hee. And, yes, she was the one that got them all into performing K-pop songs. She was also one of the five I mentioned earlier.

Ho Dong, who's always the one to tease the most shy one, went after Min Hee almost right away. He kept asking her question after question. Finally, when Ho Dong asked her who her favorite group is, the other girls started pushing and poking her as if they knew she was going to lie or something. 

At that moment though, we took a break because something was wrong with the camera and the film quality was weird. The Japanese performers came over and were introduced to us. Min Hee, however, stayed to the side. I hadn't even noticed she was there so when Jonghyun-hyung, Taemin, and I were coming back from the bathroom and paused nearby her, I wasn't aware it was her. Jonghyun asked me and Taemin what we thought of the girls. Taemin said that they were all pretty and could dance well. I said I didn't really have an opinion other than they're good at performing and that's when he told me he swore Min Hee kept looking at us. Not really up to talking about it, I just stated "what does it matter?" He was disappointed and asked me if I didn't think she was attractive and I didn't say anything. He then asked "well is she ugly to you then?" I stayed silent which he took as a yes and told Taemin while dragging him back to our seats, "ah Minho-ah doesn't think that girl's his type huh? So picky!" That was when I saw her and as soon as our eyes met, she bowed and scurried away. I assumed she didn't understand us. 

When we got back from the break and the cameras were okay again, Min Hee said her favorite group now was SHINee, all attention went to me, Taemin, and Jonghyun-hyung. Jonghyun and Taemin were all smiles. In Japanese, Jonghyun tried asking her who her favorite member was. She said Onew but then one of the girls, who I now know as Emi, said "but that's not who she finds most attractive! Ne, Mizu?

As soon as the translator caught up, Ho Dong-sunbaenim asked "who is it? who? who?" To everyone's surprise, she replied in Korean that she didn't want to say. Oh god...that meant she knew what we were saying. With wide eyes, Ho Dong-sunbaenim then asked "you can speak Korean? Why didn't you say so?" Her cheeky reply was that no one had asked her. Then one of the guy members of the group, I think his name was Kakeru, told everyone that "Mizu doesn't want to have the focus on her so she pretended to not understand Korean like the rest of us." She started hitting him which made everyone watch intrigued as she threw a cute, mini fit on stage. 

Never one to let valuable teasing material pass by, Eunhyuk-hyung went up to her and asked her again who she found most attractive in SHINee and, to my surprise, she very meekly admitted that it was me. Now I felt bad. No wonder she didn't want to say it. After all, she thinks I think she's ugly. Leeteuk joined in and asked her why. Min Hee said "he's Flaming Charisma Minho but you have to explain why he's attractive?" Now it was my turn to feel embarrassed.

Once again, Min Hee was outed by her group members who said she has a favorite in each group and the conversation changed to that. Jonghyun nudged me and whispered, "see I knew she was looking over at us." After that, they continued to perform whatever what was requested of them. They did a song or part of a song for almost every group that's out at the moment. It was amazing! And the one person who stood out the most no matter what? Min Hee or Mizu, if you want to go by her Japanese stage name. According to the leader, Min Hee's the one who knows all the dance moves to each and every song they perform and most of the lyrics since she's the one that teaches them the dances half of the time. 

When asked what group she knows the most songs of, SHINee was the answer again. She even knew "Shout Out," "Romantic," and "One For Me." Nearly every song the three of us asked her, she knew. 

That was just great for me though. Not only did I offend the guest, but I offended a fan -_- even if I didn't mean to and just wanted to stay silent, she thought I didn't like her at all. So when we met again one month later in the SM building, she walked away as soon as she saw me. Oh yeah, that's right...she and four of her group members were signed to be trainees, set to debut the next year. 

I had no idea how to face her...and that's why I shouldn't have assumed. It only set me up for a greater fall even later.

A/N: The picture used for the chapter is not to imply that Min Hee/Mizu looks like Hyuna. It's because Minho mentioned the episode of Star King where he danced "Change."