Playing Cupid

Things I'm Not Supposed To Do

 

*Minhee POV*
 
"Minhee-ah!" 
 
Minhee-ah? Since when are we on such familiar terms? "Yes?"
 
Jessica-ssi sat down next to me and took my hand in hers. That's VERY familiar there...I guess we both did grow up in America. "I just want to thank you again for agreeing to help. She doesn't have much experience with dating and she's liked him for a while but hasn't been able to say so. I knew it the whole time. She just wouldn't admit it to anyone! Even me! But I know from that look on her face and tha-"
 
"Unni!"
 
Suddenly putting on an hurt and innocent face, Jessica-ssi had batted her eyelashes at the pair of people who walked in and particularly at the person who yelled at her. "Why are you yelling at me?"
 
"You-I-we-but-no one talks about that but me okay?"
 
"If you didn't want me involved, then you should've got the nerves to ask Minhee for her help on your own."
 
"I didn't ask you to ask Minhee for me. I asked Yuri-unni!"
 
Yuri-ssi shh'd both of them, "you two are starting to scare Minhee-ssi."
 
"Sorry..." they both told me, looking a little embarrassed. I shook my head and just stared at them. 
 
"Thank you so much for coming today!" Krystal said cheerfully as she sat down on my other side. "I have no idea what to do. Should I just confess like Yuri-unni says? Cook him a meal like Vic-eomma told me?
 
Sing him a song like Luna suggests? Sew him a teddy bear like Sulli wanted me to do? Take Amber's idea and kiss him out of nowhere? Then Jess said why not ask Minhee? It's the best idea so far. You're Minho's best friend. You would know best!"
 
"I..." What do I say to that? She's smiling at me and all I want to do is poke her in the eye for pointing out, like everybody else, that Minho and I are just best friends. "Honestly...Minho would appreciate any of that but..."
 
"But?"
 
"But he doesn't see you that way yet so doing any of it now would be pointless."
 
"Are you saying that Krystal liking Minho is pointless?" Jessica asked me and I swear I could feel the glare coming. 
 
"He doesn't even know that he should or could or if he would think of you that way because, in his head, he's programmed you in his head as 'dongsaeng.' It's like...if you see a soccer ball, you think soccer right? You see a wood bat, you think baseball or softball whatever. Case in point, Minho sees Krystal, he sees 'dongsaeng' not 'girlfriend.' "
 
"Like when he sees you, he thinks 'best friend' right?" 
 
...is Krystal doing this on purpose? Less than three minutes and she's mentioned the fact that Minho and I are best friends twice.
 
"Right."
 
"So what should I do so he sees me differently?"
 
"That's the difficult part." ...even I might not know that one
 
Jessica laughed, "anything goes but seducing him okay?"
 
"If you tried seducing him, I'm sure Minho would look away, make you cover up, and walk away."
 
"I was just kidding! Minhee, have a sense of humor! I thought you're one of the funniest members of Mystery."
 
"I thought you wanted me to be serious?"
 
Okay...that was a little mean but I'm a little on edge here. Come on, I'm going to helping someone else end up with the guy I'm in love with that I'm not supposed to love. Who can stand that? Nevermind, sane people wouldn't do what I'm doing. They're sane that way!
 
"I do...sorry. Please continue." And so I did. I explained some guidelines to them and Krystal seemed satisfied as did Jessica-ssi. Yuri, on the other hand, didn't say a word. 
 
After I left, I couldn't go back to the dorm. Not the way I was feeling. Any one of the Mystery-unnies would've seen right through it so I just walked around the neighborhood. Oddly enough, Taemin was walking around too.
 
That silly kid...he didn't even realize that his hood was slipping off so people could see his face distinctly. "Ya!"
 
He recognized my voice and looked around, "Noona?! Where are you? I heard you but I can't see you! ...or am I hearing things? Is something wrong with the ice cream?" Taemin looked down at his ice cream with a panicked look on his face. Haha, such a cutie
 
I pulled him into a nearby alleyway when he passed by and covered his mouth but I forgot about the ice cream in his hand and he smeared it all over my arm -_- just my luck
 
"It is you Noona! So it's not the ice cream after all!" 
 
"Before you knew it wasn't, you continued eating it," I replied as I tried wiping my arm clean.
 
"You would've done the same."
 
"That's very true."
 
"Ice cream can't be wasted."
 
"Of course not."
 
"So why are you here? You're not trying to take my ice cream right? Because as much as you love it, you can't have my ice cream."
 
Rolling my eyes, I told him "no, that's not why I'm here. I was just taking a walk when I saw you. Are you crazy? Your hood was falling down! Even if someone didn't recognize you as Taemin of SHINee, they might kidnap you for looking like a cute little kid!"
 
"Hey!"
 
"Don't get mad at me when it's the truth. If you want to blame someone for your cuteness, blame genetics or food or beauty sleep but not me. You were cute way before I met you."
 
"I'm going to ignore all of that."
 
"Ya, don't ignore me, I'm your noona."
 
"And I'm your sunbae."
 
"...you darn brat."
 
"Aww Noona don't get mad at me when it's the truth," he mocked me and I pinched his cheek.
 
"Oww...Minhee-noona are you okay?"
 
"Why do you ask?"
 
"You look like you want to cry. Should I take you to see Minho-hyung?"
 
"No!" Taemin gave me a weird look and I knew the way I said no was over-the-top. "I mean, no because I should head back soon. I'm sure Hyomin-unni will yell at me again if I don't get back within an hour."
 
"Okay then. I hope you feel better."
 
We went out separate ways and I thought I heard him add "I hope you lie better next time too" but it could've been the wind. 
 
*Minho POV*
 
Things are good now. Minhee and I are talking again. SM Town prep is going well. School is going well. What can go wrong? 
 
Just as I thought that, Taemin knocked on my door and walked in, ice cream in hand. "Hyung!"
 
I sat up immediately because I wasn't expecting him to yell, "what?"
 
"You said earlier that you and Minhee-noona made up right?"
 
"Yes. Why do you ask?"
 
"No reason...I wonder why she looked so sad earlier then..." he murmured and started to walk away. How could he say that to me and just leave?!
 
"Lee Taemin come back here!"
 
He popped his head back in, "hmm?"
 
"When did you see her?"
 
"Umm, about 20 minutes ago? I asked her if she wanted to come visit but she said no so I thought she was still mad at you. She probably really did need to go back to the dorm then."
 
"What makes you think she looked sad?"
 
"Hyung, a person looks sad when they look sad. That's all there is to it, just like how you look worried right now. You look worried because you look worried."
 
"I am worried!"
 
"You should be. She is your best friend."
 
"I know she's my best friend! Why does everyone say that?"
 
"I don't know hyung. Maybe you should ask yourself why it bothers you so much" and after saying that he really did leave. I'm kinda glad he did because I wouldn't have known what to say. It bothers me. It bothers me...because...because I don't know!
 
Ugh! I spoke too soon earlier. As I fall onto my bed, I press the speed dial for Minhee's cell phone. It rings and rings for minutes. Why isn't she answering? Is she sad like Taemin thought? Does she not want to talk to me? Is she still angry but pretended we were fine? Maybe she's busy...I'm reading too much into this. 
 
I turn over the cell phone and look at the sticker again...crap...another corner is starting to peel off.
 
*Minhee POV (again)*
 
When my phone rings and it plays Minho's ringtone, I let it keep going. Sure I could shut it off but I take weird pleasure in knowing that he's calling me. Strange, right?
 
The ringtone is nice too...he recorded it for me on my last birthday. It just might be one of the cutest things Minho's ever done in his whole life, no joke.
 
It starts off like this, "beep beep! Ah that's wrong. Ah-ooga~ that's not it either...brrrring brrrring! I got it this time! Minhee, guess who's calling? It's me! Minho! Answer me! Answer me now or I will deny you ice cream for the rest of your life! It's Minho! Minho! Answer and you get to hear my voice! Don't answer and no ice cream muahaha!" 
 
Seriously cute right? The first time SHINee and Mystery, well pretty much anyone, heard it they all accused me of blackmailing him into doing it. I did no such thing! It is called a "birthday present" which is a voluntary thing. I didn't even expect him to know my birthday okay?
 
Anyway, you can understand why I would let the call go to hear that right? I rarely hear the whole thing since I almost always answer within two rings but...today I just...can't.
 
I stare at the phone as it has stopped vibrating and ringing. When I flip it over, I sigh seeing the rainbow sticker. If he wasn't as cute and sweet sometimes, would I have not fallen for him? No matter how many times or different ways I ask myself that, the answer will never change: no.
 
I always did have a strong tendency to do things I'm not supposed to do anyway. I bury my face in my pillow and turn my head only to see the little stuffed animal frog he gave me not too long ago. 
 
I held it up, "KerMin, what should I do? Is this because I thought Krystal and Minho looked cute together in the Juliette MV? If every couple I thought looked cute together ended up liking each other, then backstage at music shows would be full of non-stop drama you know? Even within SHINee! I can never decide what's cuter...JongKey or OnKey. Goodness! Key's such a player!" 
 
I laughed to myself and hugged KerMin to my chest, rolling over onto my side. My phone rang again and unnies knocked on my door throughout the next hour but I couldn't bring myself to do anything. Eventually, they gave up and left me alone. I squeezed KerMin even tighter, "KerMin, since you're named after Minho, you'll have to do for now."
 
A/N: I wasn't going to update until tomorrow night but decided to at least start the chapter...and then I got inspired enough to write the whole thing tonight! How is it? I should be sleeping since I'm sick and so I could be well rested for school tomorrow but I was in the mood to finish hehe. Let's just not tell my mother! ;) 
 
Hope my sickness didn't mess up my typing XD and please comment on the banner if you can~ I like telling my friend how awesome her work is haha
 
Ah, lastly did you guys understand the "KerMin" thing? Hehe it might be dumb of me but I thought it'd be cute to change KerMIT to KerMIN for MINho XD is it cute or weird? Hmm...oh well! I'll try to update again this weekend~