Cyrano's Masquerade

Things I'm Not Supposed To Do

 

A/N: I hope this chapter makes sense >_< I might go back and fix it...but I'll post it for now because I enjoyed the comments from the last chapter haha XD 

A Key (hehe Key) before reading: 

This font and italicized means it is a letter

Just italicized like this is someone's thoughts~

That's all! Enjoy the update! ^_^

Minho,

            Do you know why the SM building is so important to me? It's where I know I could always meet you. Even if our schedules were off, especially during the time I hadn't debuted yet, I would go there in hopes of seeing you sometimes.

And because I know it's crossing your mind, no, I did not ignore my training or work to look for you! But even without trying, my eyes would search for you and if they found you...my lips reacted on their own too and I'd smile. I smile thinking of you.

Minho stared at the letter he found in his backpack after practice. "Hey did you guys see anyone go near my backpack earlier?" he asked her fellow members and he only got a chorus of "no."

Then how did this get in here? Does this mean I have a secret admirer now? But who? 

Minho,

            People think you're so shy when really they don't give you enough of a chance to be yourself. If only people knew how outgoing you can be...after all, they know how charming you are already. 

They use the word charismatic but I'd rather use captivating because it encompasses more of who you are. In fact, you've always got my attention.

This time, Minho was at school when he found the note. He flipped in over multiple times in his hand. How was the person getting the notes into his bag when he wasn’t looking? Was he that ignorant?

Maybe the person is very sly…or is always around him. Minho looked over at Minhee when Changmin stood in front of him, blocking his view. “Yo!”

“’Yo’? Hyung really?”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Minhee says it sometimes.”

“Yeah but it’s cuter when she says it.”

Changmin grabbed Minho’s head and started giving him a noogie, “are you finally admitting you think she’s cute?”

“What. Does. That. Mean?” Minho gritted through his teeth, pulling on Changmin’s hands to get free.

“Even I think she has her cute moments. The weird thing is that she should be cutest to you since you like her but you never admit it, until now anyway.”

“What?! I don’t like her…”

“You like her more than me don’t you? Idiot, I meant in the best friends way. What way did you think I meant?”

“I-nevermind. Hey, you didn’t see anyone near my bag earlier did you?”

“Other than you? No. Why?”

“I got a note and I just wanted to know who it is.”

“Can I see?”

Changmin reached out for it and Minho turned away violently. “No!”

Raising his eyebrow at Minho, Changmin retracted his hand and said, “okay…?”

“It’s just…it seems rude to the person to let you see it when it’s meant for me.”

“Then I won’t read it. Just let me look at the handwriting.”

“That seems okay…”

Minho held it out for Changmin to look who walked away with it. Minho yelled after him but Changmin ignored him. Minho could only watch as Changmin started walking around the classroom and comparing each person’s (even the guys) handwriting to the note.

When Changmin was done, he walked back to Minho and gave the note back. Minho, glaring, meekly asked, “d-did you find out who it is?”

“No, I have no idea who it is.”

“Oh…”

Leaving Minho to his disappoinment, Changmin went to his desk and wrote a note of his own and passed it to someone. It read: “I know it’s you.”

Minho,

            Are you wondering who I am? I’ve always wondered who you are. Not Flaming Charisma Minho, but Choi Minho. By admiring you from afar, I’ve learned a lot. You bite your lip when you’re nervous. You furrow your eyebrows when you’re intensely trying to figure something out. You stick your tongue out when you’re embarrassed and sometimes for no reason at all.

            You lock your jaw when you’re upset and you tap your feet when you’re bored or anxious. One last thing I know that practically everyone knows is that you’re competitive but do they know why? I think it’s because you’re too harsh on yourself. It’s okay to not win all the time because you’re already number one to me. I wish I could tell you that there’s no need for you to compete. To me, you always win anyway.

He couldn’t help but smile every time he read the last two sentences and he wished for the same thing too. Minho wanted someone that could tell him those things. This person, whoever they were, was right.

Minho critcized himself too much. If he didn’t do the best, he didn’t do well enough. Winning was the only way he was sure he did well. Breaking records, winning, being recognized for his efforts…made him feel most confident in who he was becoming.

How well does this person know me? he wondered. That question began to replace how the notes were getting to him. He was becoming intrigued about the person writing him now. At that moment, Yuri walked into the practice room with Jessica and Krystal.

Krystal went over to him and offered him a drink as she sat down at his side. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” she beemed at him. “Minho, you shouldn’t practice so hard. You’re already doing so well!”

Normally, he would’ve objected but thanked her for the compliment but given the circumstances, Minho froze. Is it Krystal?

Minho,

            Have you ever thought that you’re too kind? Have you been told that before? If not, you are being told so now. Choi Minho you are too kind! Why aren’t you as kind to yourself as you are to everyone else?

If you’d let me, I’d shower you with kindness like you have for me. Even as a lowly trainee, you looked out for me. The first time we worked together…I won’t forget your shy yet powerful gaze.

Could it be Krystal? If I were to go along with that idea though, it could also be Yuri-noona or even Minhee. But the first time we worked together…shy and powerful? Juliette?

Minho,

            Do you know why I like calling you Minho so much? More than calling you anything else? It’s because I have a feeling you don’t like labels. When you were younger, you were known as the coach’s son huh? And you were compared to your older brother I bet…his “shadow” in a way right? Now you’re SHINee’s Flaming Charisma or SHINee’s rapper. Not to me.

            To me, you are simply Choi Minho, the guy I like. Is it possible to like someone too much? Because I might like you too much. Why are you so addicting? The more I see you, the more I want to see you again. The more I talk to you, the more I want to talk to you again. The more I like you, the more I convince myself I’m falling in love.

Minho couldn’t believe the newest note. In love with him? This person could be in love with him. Who is it? It drove him insane not knowing. Minho thought he knew who it was from the first note…

It all reminded him of Minhee. Hiding the notes in his bag, The style of writing. The handwriting itself. Even the type of stationary used! But the person constantly around him now, especially after the notes’ appearance, was Krystal.

But he was so sure…as he looked up and saw Krystal walking over to him yet again his confidence in the answer was wavering again. Maybe…his first answer was just the one he wanted to believe.

Things continued on this way for weeks and Minho still didn’t know who it was. Then without a warning the notes stopped coming. Minho would search everywhere for one to show up, his room, the member’s room, the car, the entire school, and his shoes!

Another week had gone by when Minho was walking into the dorm and heard s arguing. “We can’t open it!”

“It says Minho on it, not any of us.”

“But Minho’s been gone all day moping!”

“That doesn’t mean open his mail!”

“Mail?” Minho asked. When it dawned on him what it could be, he ran inside and almost tripped over Jonghyun who was lying on the floor. “Did I get something?”

Onew, who was holding an envelope away from Key, leaned over and handed it to Minho. “It was taped to the door this morning.”

He ripped it open and read as fast as he could.

Minho,

            It’s been a while huh? Have you been thinking about me? Did you miss my letters to you? I missed writing to you. Isn’t that weird? I want to let you know who I am. I want to confess in person. Can I have that chance?

            If you agree, please go to the Mystery after-party this Friday. At exactly midnight, meet me in the gazebo with your eyes closed. That is when I will finally unmask myself to you.

“There’s a Mystery party?” Minho asked.

Key took the letter from Minho and scanned it over, “you didn’t know? Minhee hasn’t told you. It’s being thrown by that one guy, Kakeru. He wants to have a pre-celebratory first concert party for them.”

“No, I had no idea.”

“It’s a masquerade party hyung!” Taemin said excited. “Minhee noona came by earlier and gave us masks. Yours looks just like the one you had in Juliette.”

“Juliette?”

*At the SNSD dorm*

“Are you sure it’s time?” Krystal asked. “He doesn’t seem that interested in me yet.”

“It’s time. Minho probably thinks it is you once he sees the mask.”

Jessica tried on another mask from the box Minhee had brought over. “This letter idea of yours was pretty interesting. It was fun to see him go around reading them over and over sometimes.”

Yuri placed a hand on Minhee’s shoulder. “Where’d you get the idea?”

“Minho’s a romantic. He just doesn’t know it yet.”

“Really? I like romantic guys.”

“Which must be one of the reasons you like Minho,” Jessica teased Krystal.

She blushed and smiled, “must be. Minhee-unni?”

“Yeah?”

“Why don’t you ever let me know what the letters say anyway? What if he asks me?”

“He’ll feel too embarrassed to ask directly.”

Jessica sat up, “but I think Krystal should know! Wouldn’t it help her with Minho?”

“I help her with Minho, not the letters.”

“We should focus on what will happen at the party,” Yuri cut in. “You said midnight right?”

“Yeah, at midnight…”

*Friday night, fifteen minutes to midnight…*

Krystal and Jessica went to the bathroom for one last time before Krystal headed outside to the gazebo to confess to Minho.

Yuri and Minhee stood next to each other awkwardly in the meantime. Changmin went over to them and asked Yuri if he could borrow Minhee for a moment.

“Are you really going through with this?”

“With?”

“Letting Minho think Krystal’s the one writing the letters when it’s you! You wrote those letters. You’re in love with Minho! Who cares about Krystal’s feelings? Screw Krystal! Think about yourself for once!

Can you stand seeing them date? Seeing him kiss her? Fall in love with her? What are you going to do if that happens?”

“I’m going to be his best friend.”

“Can you really do that?”

“Changmin, why do you care so much?”

“Because! That’s not important okay? I care because it’s you and Minho. You can’t just be his best friend as he dates someone else. It’ll break your heart, seeing another girl become as important to him.”

“That’s where you’re wrong.”

“What?”

“Do you remember doing TohoPsychology?”

“Yes, why?”

“I once asked Minho if he would pick an apple or a Mandarin orange if he had to pick and he said orange.”

“And?”

“A Mandarin orange means he treasures best friends over love. That’s how he really is, fake psych test or not. It’s selfish but by being his best friend, I’ll be more important to him than any girlfriend could be.”

“You…are the dumbest woman I have ever met. You decided all of this because of a fake psych test?!”

“I don’t expect you to understand.”

“Good because I don’t! Ruin your life then! Don’t cry to me when he’s with someone else because you let him go.”

“Okay.” Changmin stared at her but MinHee stayed resolute. He shook his head and walked away, muttering something about getting a headache.

Minhee watched him go and sighed. There’s no way for me to explain it to you that would make sense. I barely understand it myself…but I can’t fall in love with my best friend. I’ve already done it once and it broke my heart. If that were to happen with Minho…

She jumped when she heard footsteps behind her and she hid behind a nearby tree. Seeing who it was, Minhee sighed in relief.

Minho was now standing in the center of the gazebo in the garden, looking around. “I’m closing my eyes now just so you know…if you’re there already?” he yelled out and Minhee giggled silently.

He must really want to know who it is…she glanced down at her watch. Two minutes to midnight. Minhee let her feet lead her to stand right in front of Minho.

“Hello? Are you there?”

Minhee carressed his face and he smiled, leaning into her touch. Standing tip-toe, MinHee kissed Minho and before he could react, she stuffed a piece of paper into his hand and ran away.

Minho took off the blindfold when he heard her run. “Wait!” he called but he was too late. He looked down at the paper she put in his hand before leaving and written in a hastely fashion were the words “I love you.”

He was about to go look for her when someone walked up to him again, coming from the same direction that Minhee ran away in. “Minho-oppa?”

“Krystal?”

“You came,” she said breathlessly. “I was so worried you wouldn’t come. Minho-oppa, it’s me. I wrote you those letters. I love you.”

Krystal ran up to him and hugged him. Confused, Minho took a few seconds to hug back. But I thought…that smell…those lips…it wasn’t Min Hee? Even this last note is her handwriting.

If only Minho had seen the bottom part of the last note that had been torn off before he got it, it read “good bye.”